Pitchero ad

No Sunday Shocks In The Emirates FA Cup

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Several non-League clubs were in Sunday Emirates FA Cup First Round action, but as with yesterday`s results, few upsets were recorded.

Vanarama National League club Woking, who have earned a reputation for their various cup exploits over the years, earned a replay against managerless SkyBet League One side Bury after Jamie Philpot’s header secured a 1-1 draw.

Millwall loanee Philpot’s 25th minute header keeps the Cards in the hat for tomorrow`s Second Round draw.

Bury, who sacked Lee Clark as manager last month, went ahead after just 40 seconds through Michael Smith but could not hang on at Kingfield.

Woking`s league rivals Guiseley AFC are also in the hat for the next round after holding League Two high-flyers Accrington Stanley to a goalless draw at Nethermoor.

An entertaining tie saw both sides have their chances with Mike Fondop going closest for the Lions, but teams will meet again on November 14th.

But that was as good as it got as far as decent results for clubs outside the Football League on Sunday.

National League Sutton United, who enjoyed a fantastic run to the last sixteen last season and a game against Arsenal, are out, beaten 1-0 at the Abbey Stadium by League Two Cambridge United.

Sutton more than held their own but were unable to find the finishing touch.

And 5 minutes before half-time, Sutton received a boost when Cambridge were reduced to ten-men after George Maris was shown a second yellow card for `simulation`.

But right on the stroke of half-time, the ten-men broke the deadlock when Jabo Ibehre was quick to pounce on a rebound after Jevani Brown`s effort had come back off the crossbar.

The visitors did hit the woodwork themselves through Keith Cadogan and Adam Coombes forced a fine save from United `keeper David Forde to keep his side in front and send Sutton out.

Sutton`s league rivals Maidenhead United also bowed out, losing 2-0 at the Ricoh Arena against the 1987 FA Cup winners Coventry City.

The Sky Blues are down amongst the depths of League Two nowadays but would still have represented quite a scalp for Alan Devonshire`s side.

But City had a relatively comfortable 2-0 passage into the Second Round, thanks to a brace from Jordan Ponticelli.

His opener came in the 33rd minute with a neat finish from a Jack Grimmer cross and his second, a minute before the break, from close range after a mistake by United`s Jake Goodman.

National League South side Dartford suffered a very disappointing 5-1 thumping on their own Princes Park patch by League Two Swindon Town.

The visitors broke the deadlock thanks to Timi Elsnik’s 12th minute effort.

Harry Smith then added a second on 23 minutes before Elsnik was on target once more 3 minutes later to put his side in control.

It was the same story after the break with Amine Linganzi 2 minutes after the interval and Paul Mullin 3 minutes later both adding their name to the scoresheet, while Richard Sho-Silva added a late 83rd minute consolation for the Darts.

Swindon`s league rivals Wycombe Wanderers, a side with a good cup pedigree themselves, are also through after winning 2-0 at the Automated Technology Group Stadium against National League outfit Solihull Moors.

Wycombe went ahead in the 16th minute after goalkeeper Scott Brown launched a long ball forward which Nick Freeman latched on to and beat Charlie Bannister to open the scoring.

Craig Mackail-Smith then doubled the visitors’ lead after 28 minutes after striker Adebayo Akinfenwa headed off the bar.

The home side started to get more chances after the restart with their best chances falling to Oladapo Afolayan, but they were unable to make a dent in the scoreline.

National League South side Truro City also bowed out, losing 3-1 at League One Charlton Athletic`s Valley Stadium.

It took only 10 minutes for the Addicks to open the scoring with a neat half-volley from Ben Reeves.

The White Tigers held the hosts to that single goal at the break, but 8 minutes into the second period, Mark Marshall`s deflected shot made it 2-0.

Truro, the first Cornish side to reach the First Round since 1969, pulled a goal back on the hour-mark, but Reeves grabbed his second and Charlton`s third 20 minutes from time to secure their passage, although the near-1000 visiting fans did almost have a second goal to cheer when Harvey`s header came back off the crossbar late on.

Bostik League North side Heybridge Swifts` brave cup run is over, but not before they gave League Two promotion-chasers Exeter City a scare or two at St James`s Park.

The Essex minnows held the Grecians to 0-0 at the break with some great defending and determined tackling.

But Exeter broke through on the hour-mark when Lloyd James`s corner was headed home by Jayden Stockley.

Stockley then doubled the home side`s lead 4 minutes later from close range.

However, Swifts gave their travelling band of fans something to cheer and remember when Sam Bantick got on the end of Lewis Godbold`s cross to net from close in.

Sub Liam McAlinden cancelled that out though by making it 3-1 in the 86th minute.

The all-Bostik Premier tie between Leatherhead and ambitious Billericay Town will need a second game to separate the teams after they shared an entertaining 1-1 draw at Fetcham Grove.

Jack Midson, who has scored in every round for the Tanners, did it again to open the scoring in the 21st minute.

But the visitors eventually equalised in the 67th minute when Ricky Modeste was brought down in the box and Billy Bricknell duly converted the resulting penalty.


About Author

Comments are closed.