Pitchero ad

Millers End Trophy Hoodoo After Replay Thriller

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Evo-Stik League South East side Marlow must have fancied their chances in Monday night`s Buildbase FA Trophy Preliminary Round replay, despite losing home advantage to Bostik League North outfit Aveley.

The odds were stacked against the Millers – no manager having sacked Terry Spillane and with chief executive Craig Johnson in charge – and no wins in the Trophy for exactly nine years!

So, it didn`t bode well for the hosts at their excellent new Parkside home.

But what followed was a cracking cup tie which finally ended that Trophy hoodoo for the Millers.

And it took only 2 minutes for Aveley to take the lead when Paul Preston crossed from the right and Jordan Watson managed to get in front of his marker and nod home past Simon Grant.

Despite the Millers fantastic start to the game, they were pegged back as Marlow grabbed an equaliser. The ball sat up nicely for Jordace Holder-Spooner who found the bottom corner.

Aveley started off the second half on the front foot. Nathan Koranteng cross-shot cracked the crossbar within seconds of the restart leaving the keeper flat-footed.

The goal was coming and eventually it did, a searching ball forward found Jordan Peart who controlled with his chest dribbled past Junaid Bell and finished with aplomb into the goal to put the Millers back in front.

Marlow came back into it and hit the post with 61 minutes left. Holder-Spooner again got a lot of free space on the edge and fired against the base of the left-hand post.

But the sucker punch was to come, in the 4th minute of additional time the equaliser came to send it into extra-time. Marcus Mealing took it, it hit the wall, landed straight back to Mealing who second time round fired in an unstoppable drive which found the bottom right corner.

However, within 6 minutes of extra-time, Aveley re-took the lead for the third time in the game. Jeremiah Maja pulled the ball back to Koranteng who controlled and beautifully smashes the ball into the top corner to score his first goal since re-joining the club.

But only 3 minutes into the second half of extra-time, Marlow pulled themselves level for the third time in the game. A free-kick was pinged into the box, it took a couple of deflections and somehow ended up in our bottom corner with Jordan Lee-Brown claiming it.

With the game seemingly heading to penalties, the Millers struck gold and Paul Preston came up trumps. A ball over the top was latched onto by Preston who won the 50/50 against the Marlow keeper, he then managed to have the composure on his left-foot to slide the ball into the net to give the Millers the lead for the fourth time in the match.

As Marlow chased the game with only a few minutes left, the Millers countered with numbers, Jordan Watson was first who had his shot blocked, it landed to Michael Osei who ran the length of the pitch to support Watson, who then followed up the re-bound to poke it into the net to finally send the Millers through to the next round to take on Bostik Premier outfit Burgess Hill Town.


About Author

Comments are closed.