Pitchero ad

Saturday`s Buildbase FA Trophy Round-Up….

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

There were a handful of surprise results in Saturday`s Buildbase FA Trophy Second Qualifying Round as well as the end of the road for several former winners and finalists.

Evo-Stik League Premier side Barwell were victims of an upset on their own Kirkby Road patch as they bowed out to Bostik League North newcomers Mildenhall Town.

Craig Calver scored the only goal of the game after 65 minutes to send the Thurlow Nunn League champions through.

Mildenhall`s league rival Heybridge Swifts enjoyed an terrific run in the Emirates FA Cup before losing to Exeter City recently.

And they also caused an upset in the Trophy by winning 2-1 at Evo-Stik League South Premier hosts Dorchester Town.

Phil Ormrod gave the Magpies a great start with the opening goal after just 3 minutes.

And the home side held that lead until 7 minutes from time when Sam Bantick grabbed an equaliser for the Essex side from the edge of the box.

And then, a minute from time, Luke Callander popped up with Swifts` winner.

At the ASM Autos Stadium, Evo-Stik League South East newcomers Thame United knocked out Bostik Premier side Worthing.

And the only goal from a free-kick would definitely have made the manager happy as it came from boss Mark West`s son Dan after 58 minutes.

Bostik North side Brentwood Town were another to knock out a team from a higher division in Bostik Premier Needham Market.

The Essex hosts won, courtesy of goals from Connor Martin after 24 minutes, Andy Freeman after 35 minutes and Matt Price right on the stroke of half-time.

Diaz Wright `won` the second half for the Marketmen with a 66th minute reply.

Bostik South side Lewes are also through against a higher division side in Evo-Stik South Premier Bishop`s Stortford – one of the former Trophy winners (1981) to bow out on Saturday.

The high-flying Rooks won in front of 568 at the Dripping Pan with goals from Charlie Coppola after 12 minutes and Billy Medlock on 62 minutes.

Evo-Stik League South East new boys Hartley Wintney are enjoying a good first campaign at the higher level, and they made Trophy progress too by ousting the 2014 finalists Gosport Borough from the competition.

Gosport are really struggling in the Evo-Stik South Premier and are out after goals from Josh Webb with a brace and Paul Hodges.

Of the other former Wembley winners and finalists, the 1978 runners-up Leatherhead are out, the Bostik Premier Tanners were beaten 3-2 at Garden Walk by Evo-Stik South Premier side Royston Town.

New signing Liam Nash gave the visitors the boost of an early 2nd minute lead and D`Sean Theobalds added a second with 15 minutes gone.

Harry Darling reduced the deficit right on half-time and then Josh Castiglione equalised just shy of the hour-mark.

But on 64 minutes, the Crows had Darling sent-off. However, a stoppage time Adam Murray goal sealed the ten-men`s passage.

The 1990 finalists, Evo-Stik South side Leek Town, also bowed out, losing by the odd goal in seven at Evo-Stik North Glossop North End.

Tim Grice gave the visitors a 10th minute lead that Zeph Thomas levelled 2 minutes later.

Thomas then put the Hillmen in front after 32 minutes, only for Leek to respond within 3 minutes through Dan Trickett-Smith.

Ben Deegan put the hosts ahead again in the 73rd minute and Courtney Meppen-Walter added a fourth with 10 minutes to go, although a Grice penalty 5 minutes later ensured a nervy finale.

Bostik Premier Kingstonian, who won the Trophy twice in 1999 and 2000, have a home replay after being held to a 2-2 draw at Short Lane by Evo-Stik South East outfit Ashford Town (Middx).

The Ash Trees raced into a 2-0 lead with goals from Jabir Laraba after 24 minutes and Jack Beadle 8 minutes later.

But the K`s battled back to level through Tom Collins after 57 minutes and Tom Derry 15 minutes from time.

Evo-Stik League Premier side Stafford Rangers, who also won the competition twice in 1972 and 1979, are safely through in front of a crowd of 955 at Marston Road against Evo-Stik North title-favourites South Shields.

This was one many had down as a potential `upset`, but a Massiah McDonald hat-trick with goals in the 8th, 78th and 83rd minutes sealed Rangers passage, with Robbie Briggs having given the Mariners a 7th minute lead.

Also safely through are the 1978 and 1986 winners and 1982 runners-up, Altrincham.

The Evo-Stik Premier side beat Evo-Stik North visitors Ramsbottom United 4-1 at Moss Lane with a hat-trick from Jordan Hulme in the 17th, 34th and 49th minutes and a fourth in the 85th minute from James Poole – all after sam Heathcote had given Rammy an early 2nd minute lead.

There were good away wins for Altrincham`s league rivals Marine AFC and Coalville Town.

The Mariners saw off Evo-Stik North hosts Atherton Collieries 5-1 with Danny Mitchley and James Murray both bagging braces, while the Ravens won by the same scoreline at Lye Meadow against Evo-Stik South side Alvechurch in which Dan Creaney bagged a hat-trick, sandwiched by a brace by Tom McLinchey.

Sam Joel scored twice as another Evo-Stik Premier side, Workington AFC, triumphed 3-1 at Evo-Stik South outfit Chasetown, while the Reds` league rivals Grantham Town, Stourbridge, Lancaster City and Stalybridge Celtic are also through.

The Gingerbreads won 2-0 at Evo-Stik South Kidsgrove Athletic, thanks to goals in the last 8 minutes from Stefan Galinski and a Lee Shaw penalty, while the Glassboys won 3-2 at Evo-Stik South Premier side St Neots Town.

Dion Sembie-Ferris gave the Saints the breakthrough a minute into the second half, only for Leon Broadhurst to level within 2 minutes.

Luke Benbow`s spot-kick gave the visitors the lead just 4 minutes later and Josh Green made it 3-1 with 14 minutes to go – Jack Bradshaw pulling one back in the 86th minute.

The Dolly Blues beat St Neots` league rivals Stratford Town 3-0 at the Giant Axe, courtesy of a Liam Francis own goal after 8 minutes and then a Ryan Winder double in the 23rd and 42nd minutes.

Stalybridge saw off league rivals Rushall Olympic by the odd goal in five at Bower Fold.

Mo Hakeem gave the Pics a 20th minute lead that recent signing Connor Hughes levelled 9 minutes before the break.

Jordan Sangha restored the visitors lead in the 71st minute, only for Theo Bailey-Jones 5 minutes later and Hughes again 7 minutes from time to turn the game in Celtic`s favour.

Evo-Stik North side Droylsden are through, winning 2-1 at the Zeeco Stadium against Evo-Stik South outfit Stamford AFC, who led through Bradley Fortnam-Tomlinson`s 4th minute effort before two goals in 2 minutes midway through the first half from John Shaw and Luke Daly eventually proved enough for the Bloods.

Bostik Premier high-flyers Billericay Town are fancied to do well in the competition and sailed through 6-1 at New Lodge against Bostik North visitors Bury Town.

Jake Robinson netted another hat-trick for the Blues with Adam Cunnington, Rob Swaine and Sam Deering also hitting the target.

Other Bostik Premier sides through are Wingate & Finchley, 3-1 at Bostik South promotion-chasers Corinthian-Casuals with Ben Pattie, Rob Laney and Reece Beckles-Richards on the mark.

Dorking Wanderers won the all-Bostik Premier tie at Westhumble against Leiston with Tom Tolfrey, James McShane, David Ray and Giuseppe Sole outgunning Christu Finch.

Niko Muir bagged a brace to help Hendon through 3-0 against league rivals Burgess Hill Town, while a Lloyd Macklin goal just after half-time took Metropolitan Police through at Bostik South side Thamesmead Town.

Another all-Premier tie saw Harlow Town go through 2-1 at the Arena against high-flying Dulwich Hamlet, thanks to Alex Read and Junior Dadson.

Bostik North outfit Maldon & Tiptree are out, beaten 4-1 at home by Evo-Stik South Premier promotion-hopefuls Slough Town, for whom James Dobson bagged a brace either side of goals from Matt Lench and Lee Togwell.

Evo-Stik South Premier side Hereford FC attracted one of the biggest crowds of the round, 1,368, at Edgar Street but they were held to a goalless draw by Bostik North Potters Bar Town.

An all-Evo-Stik South Premier tie between Chesham United and Hitchin Town saw the home Generals go through 3-1 at The Meadow with goals from Lewis Toomey, Giuseppe Iaciofano and Ben Crilley.

Liam Meredith was on target twice as Shortwood United won 2-1 at Evo-Stik South West rivals Paulton Rovers, for whom Liam Monelle had equalised.


About Author

Comments are closed.