Pitchero ad

This Week`s Cup Action Reviewed…….

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Vanarama National League club Boreham Wood lifted the Herts Senior Cup with a 2-1 win over Evo-Stik League South Premier side Royston Town at Hemel Hempstead Town`s Vauxhall Road.

The trophy is Wood`s Luke Garrard’s first silverware as a manager and was secured by a quick-fire double.

Angelo Balanta opened the scoring with a stunning free-kick, before Joe Quigley doubled the lead just moments later.

Scott Bridges pulled one back with just under 10 minutes to play, but the Wood were able to hold out for the win.

National League South club Havant & Waterlooville took time off their challenge for promotion to win the Hampshire Senior Cup for the second time in three years.

The Hawks beat Sydenhams Football League (Wessex) Premier side Blackfield & Langley 3-0 at Southampton`s St Mary’s.

The Hawks triumphed over their opponents from three levels lower, thanks to goals from Andreas Robinson, James Hyter and Jason Prior.

An early header from Connor Vincent proved the difference as Evo-Stik League South Premier side Hitchin Town won the BigFreeBet.com Southern League Challenge Cup final against Evo-Stik League South West outfit Didcot Town.

The clash at the Top Field had been postponed twice, but the hosts took just 9 minutes to open the scoring from a corner.

Diddy`s Felipe Barcelos forced a parry from Hitchin `keeper Michael Johnson, but the ball bounced just out of George Reid’s reach.

Seth Humphries and substitute Morgan Williams also came close, but Hitchin held firm to lift the trophy.

Evo-Stik League Premier side Farsley Celtic defended the West Riding County Cup and lifted the trophy for the 12th time as they defeated Toolstation Northern Counties East League outfit Selby Town 4-1.

The difference in class was clear for all to see as the Celts dominated from the first minute, Nathan Cartman hitting a brace whilst Paul Walker and Luke Parkin also got on the scoresheet.

Farsley`s league rivals Stafford Rangers will play Hednesford Town in the final of the Staffordshire Senior Cup on April 24th at Stoke City’s Bet 365 Stadium after beating West Midlands (Regional) League high-flyers Wolverhampton Sporting 3-1 at Marston Road in the semi-final.

Rangers got off to the perfect start when Jack Sherratt fired them ahead in the 5th minute.

Three minutes before the interval, Kyle Perry glanced home Rangers’ second from Sherratt’s in-swinging free-kick.

Massiah McDonald made it 3-0 with a simple tap in on 55 minutes.

Sporting reduced the arrears on 66 minutes through Jon Letford, but the hosts had done enough to win.

Another all-Evo-Stik Premier tie saw a brace from Steve Jones and one apiece from Joel Stair and Harry Clayton help Nantwich Town to reach the Cheshire Senior Cup final for the second consecutive campaign, as they defeated Stalybridge Celtic in a thrilling 4-3 semi-final encounter that went to extra-time.

The Dabbers took the lead through Jones in the first half, and then doubled their advantage in the second half through Stair’s header.

Jake Charles grabbed a quick-fire double for the visitors to level the proceedings.

Nantwich re-took the lead after Clayton slotted home a wonderful finish, while the Celts equalised with 10 minutes to go through Matty Wolfenden.

After the tie went to extra-time, Jones was played through after 95 minutes to tuck it home, giving the Dabbers victory.

Hendon won the Middlesex Senior Cup for a record sixteenth time as Tom Lovelock produced a magnificent triple save in the 88th minute of a stalemated 90 against Bostik League Premier rivals Staines Town and then made a confident block of Elliot Buchanan’s tenth and final spot-kick in the penalty shoot-out at Uxbridge`s Honeycroft.

Hallmark Security League Cammell Laird 1907 reached the final of the LWC Drinks First Division Cup with a 2-1 win at Daisy Hill, completing a 5-2 aggregate win.

After Michael Gervin had netted a 20th minute penalty for Daisy Hill, Danny Cross on 73 minutes and Joe Malkin 2 minutes later sealed Laird`s passage.

They will now meet the winners of the other semi-final between Prestwich Heys and Sandbach United at the Millbank Linnets Stadium in Runcorn on the May 9th.

In the Macron Cup semi-final first leg, Widnes put one foot in the final by hammering Winsford United 5-0.

Kevin Towey netted a hat-trick in the 5th, 45th and 50th minutes, with Ben Hodkinson and Michael Grogan adding the others.

Evo-Stik League South East side Hartley Wintney are through to the final of the Aldershot Senior Cup after a 6-2 win over Sydenhams Football League (Wessex) Premier outfit Fareham Town.

James Tennant and Steve Duff both bagged braces for Hartley Wintney, with Dec Shuttleworth and Ian Jones adding the others.

A hat-trick from Connor White helped Cowes Sports to an emphatic 6-0 win against Shanklin on the Isle of Wight Cup, while Cowes` Wessex League rivals Alresford Town caused an upset in the North Hants Cup quarter-final by beating Evo-Stik League South East side Fleet Town 4-1.

Craig Harding bagged a brace with Sam Doswell and Sam Burt also on the mark for the hosts.

Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division side Woodley United faced Step 3 opposition for the first time in the club’s history when they took on Evo-Stik League South Premier outfit Chesham United in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup semi-final.

And Woodley acquit themselves well against a side two divisions higher before eventually going down to a 2-0 defeat.

And Chesham will play SkyBet League One side MK Dons in the final after they beat Evo-Stik League South Premier side Slough Town 4-1 at Arbour Park.

All four of the Dons’ goals were scored in the first half, including Brandon Thomas-Asante’s half-an-hour hat-trick. Giorgio Rasulo scored their fourth and final goal prior to the interval with Perry Coles replying for the Rebels.

Hallmark Security League First Division leaders Litherland REMYCA suffered their second defeat of 2018 with a 4-0 defeat at Evo-Stik League North side Prescot Cables in the Liverpool County FA Senior Cup semi-final.

The experience in the Cables side, who secured a play-off place on Tuesday, paid off as they ran out 4-0 winners.

Although Cables were the better side on the night, the 4-0 scoreline was harsh as the REMYCA youngsters performed admirably.

The tempo in the first half was hectic with both sides pushing to open the scoring.

It was the home side who broke the deadlock when Andrew Begbie was adjudged to have fouled a Cables player in the area and Dan Burns tucked home the penalty.

From then on, Brian Richardson’s side managed the game and slowed the tempo to prevent REMYCA building any momentum.

It was nearly impossible for McNally’s team to get going in the second half with Cables experience showing through to take the sting out of the affair.

Harry Cain was a constant threat on the left wing all evening and deserved his brace.

There were suspicions of handball around Cain’s first which were waved away by the referee.

Dominic Murphy, who excelled in his first appearance for the Volair Park outfit, sealed the tie in the 90th minute with the game already won.

A brace from Tony Clarke earned Total Motion Midland League Division One side Walsall Wood a place in the final of the Walsall Senior Cup after a 2-1 win against Midland League Premier Division outfit Sporting Khalsa.


About Author

Comments are closed.