Farsley Hold On To Top Spot

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Farsley Celtic held on to top spot in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League First Division North on goal difference from Lancaster City after both won on Saturday.

Farsley earned another crucial three points with a 5-3 victory, despite a rather lacklustre performance against the battling ten-men of Bamber Bridge.

Five different scorers were on target for The Celts who retained their position on top of the table, bouncing back after Tuesday’s 2-1 defeat to Goole AFC.

Adam Clayton`s header after 7 minutes and a Paul Walker effort 3 minutes later gave the home side a two-goal interval lead.

Bamber Bridge were reduced to ten-men early on in the second half as ‘keeper Steve James lost the ball to Walker who was tripped as he attempted to score. As a result, James was dismissed and Richard Marshall converted the penalty to make it 3-0.

Brig immediately got back into the game as Sam Freakes’ cross was nodded home by Ali Waddecar.

Farsley restored their three-goal cushion on 63 minutes as Lewis Nightingale saw his shot parried, by stand in ‘keeper Matt Lawlor, straight into the path of Jordan Deacey.

Brig got back into the game on 74 minutes as Jamie Milligan’s hopeful ball into the box fell to substitute Stuart Vasey who bundled his shot home.

The three points were all but wrapped up for Farsley 4 minutes later when Lewis Nightingale who swept the ball home past Lawlor.

Bamber Bridge did add a consolation in added time as Milligan’s free-kick fell to Vasey who hooked home to conclude the scoring.

It was a lot less frenetic at the Giant Axe where Lancaster beat Tadcaster Albion 1-0, thanks to a 14th minute Ryan Winder free-kick.

The title is realistically between the top two, especially after Trafford`s 2-2 home draw with Ramsbottom United left them eleven points behind with only eighteen left on offer.

A brace of penalties converted by Lee Gaskell earned Rammy a draw after Ashley Woods – also from the spot – and Josh Granite had given the home side a 2-1 lead.

Glossop North End are fourth, level on points with Trafford, after winning 3-1 at the Butcher`s Arms against Droylsden.

It was goalless until the hour-mark when Karl Jones broke the deadlock for the Hillmen.

Jones added a second 20 minutes from time and Dale Johnson made it 3-0 in the 81st minute, although Shaun Holden netted a consolation for the Bloods 5 minutes from time.

Ossett Town complete the top five and they beat Colwyn Bay 1-0 at Ingfield, thanks to a 63rd minute Jason Yates goal.

Colne were without a game and are now a point behind Ossett, while Brighouse Town`s top five hopes took a blow when they were held to a 1-1 home draw by Kendal Town to leave them a further three points adrift.

Ben Wharton`s 20th minute opener for the Yorkshire side was eventually cancelled out 3 minutes from time by the Mintcakes` Josh Draycott.

Second-bottom Goole AFC also shared a 1-1 draw at the Victoria Pleasure Grounds against Mossley AFC, whose Tom Dean headed them level in stoppage time after Sam Colbear had given the Vikings a 69th minute lead.

Goole trail third-bottom Prescot Cables by four points with only six matches remaining.


About Author

Former Swansea City and Kettering Town defender who has been managing the likes of Kettering Town u18s, Rothwell Town, Desborough Town and Wellingborough Town for 33 years as well as being technical director at AFC Rushden & Diamonds. Began in non-League journalism as editor of Team Talk magazine back in the early 1990s and then as editor of Non-League Daily, joining Pitchero to set up Pitchero Non-League in January 2011. Also works for the National League.

Comments are closed.