Pitchero ad

Advantage Shaw Lane As Witton Left Wondering

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

A vital 1-0 win at home against second-placed Witton Albion gave Evo-Stik Northern Premier League First Division South leaders Shaw Lane AFC a three-point lead going into Easter and their final three games of the season.

It wasn`t a pretty game on a difficult surface, but this game was all about the result rather than the performance.

However, what proved to be the only goal in front of a season`s best crowd of 608 came a minute into the second half when Jonathan Wafula took up Godwin Abadaki`s pass and lobbed the ball skilfully over Witton goalkeeper Calvin Hare.

There were three other Tuesday matches involving the top end of the table.

Third-placed Spalding United hosted fourth-placed Basford United at the Sir Halley Stewart Field and it ended goalles.

Basford, who have played a game more than the teams above and below them, were left frustrated after playing against a Tulips` side who had only ten-men for the last 37 minutes.

The Nottingham side will now have to rely on other sides doing them a favour.

Stocksbridge Park Steels moved into the top five after damaging AFC Rushden & Diamonds` play-off chances at the Dog & Duck.

In front of 449, the visitors, in a rich vein of form coming into the contest, took the lead in the 17th minute when a corner from the left found an unmarked Matthew Reay to head home from close range.

And Steels doubled the lead in the 28th minute when Harrison Biggins won a free-kick before dispatching the set-piece into the bottom corner from 25 yards.

Lincoln United moved level on points with Diamonds after winning 2-0 at the Lyme Valley Stadium against fellow contenders Newcastle Town, who are also on 64 points.

Kallum Smith gave the visitors a crucial lead right on the stroke of half-time.

And then Sean Wright added a second just shy of the hour-mark.

The final three games of the season are going to be extremely interesting as six teams look like battling it out for two play-off spots.

Tuesday`s other game, with little riding on it, saw an entertaining 4-4 draw at Stoke Lane between Carlton Town and Stamford AFC.

In a six-goal first half Carlton took the lead three times, through Aaron Hooton, Kyle Stovell and a screamer from Josh Rae.

Each time the visitors equalised through Jordan Smith twice and, sandwiched in between, another terrific effort from Jon Challinor.

Stamford then took the lead through Challinor on 63 minutes but Alex Troke levelled for the Millers with a fantastic strike 14 minutes from time.

Both sides had goals disallowed and Daniels` keeper Alex Brown made a stunning stop to deny Danny Elliott in the final minute of stoppage time at the end of the game.


About Author

Comments are closed.