Pitchero ad

Plenty Of Deadline Moves In Welsh Premier

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Whilst non-League football in England is no longer governed by the January transfer window, it still applies in the JD Welsh Premier, and it was a busy last few days for several clubs.

Central defender Craig Rogers has joined Aberystwyth Town from Norwegian side Bergsoy-Idrettslag.

Rogers joins Aber having played seventeen times for the Norwegian side this season, scoring twice.

He was previously with Warrington Town during their famous FA Cup run of 2014, and has also represented Denbigh Town, Icelandic side Dalvik/Reynir, and was with Jacksonville United while studying at Oral Roberts University in the USA between 2011-3.

Goalkeeper Steve Hall returns to Carmarthen Town from Ton Pentre, while Newtown have announced the capture of striker Ethan Jones from Evo-Stik League Premier side Halesowen Town.

The 19-year-old forward is a product of the Shrewsbury Town academy, and prior to that he was among the youth system at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Jones was handed a professional contract in 2015 and made a handful of appearances for the Shrews` first-team before short spells on loan at Tranmere Rovers and Stourbridge.

On his release from Shrewsbury last summer, he signed for Southport, and following that he moved to Halesowen.

Carmarthen further boosted their strike force with the capture of Mark Jones, who returns to the club from Afan Lido.

Jones joins fellow striker Luke Bowen in re-joining the Old Gold, Bowen having moved from Port Talbot Town last week.

Two departures from Barry Town as Sam Jones joins Rhondda side Cambrian & Clydach Vale BGC on loan, while Eliot Scotcher has left to join Haverfordwest County.

On the incoming side, moving to Jenner Park is Jonathan Hood from Port Talbot Town.

The 26-year old midfielder has made more than fifty appearances in the Welsh Premier, appearing for three different clubs.

In 2013, Hood was a part of the Carmarthen team that beat The New Saints on penalties to win what is now the Nathaniel MG Cup, playing alongside former Barry favourite Christian Doidge.

Last season, Hood scored 17 times in eighteen matches, including a hat-trick in the Port Talbot derby, before moving to Iceland, where he played for Ægir FC in league and national cup competition.

Barry have also signed midfielder Joaquin Estirado Rivera from Cardiff Bay.

Prestatyn Town have signed midfielder Louis Irvine from Guilsfield, while striker Jack Kenny has left the club to return to England.

Meanwhile, following the departure of Neil Gibson to Connah’s Quay, Prestatyn have confirmed his assistant Gareth Wilson as their new manager.

An A-licensed coach, Wilson made more than 200 appearances for Rhyl and scored numerous crucial goals. His other former clubs include Wrexham, Colwyn Bay and TNS, where he won a championship medal in 1999/2000.

He also played for Wales under-16s and under-18s and won the FAW Youth Cup with Wrexham and represented British Students.

Wilson was loaned to Welshpool in January 2009, before being allowed to leave Belle Vue at the end of the season and sign for Prestatyn, completing over 400 Welsh Premier appearances, scoring 39 goals.

His assistant at Bastion Gardens will be former Prestatyn striker Steve ‘Jolly’ Rogers, a much-travelled forward and regular goalscorer, who left Welshpool Town after six years in June 2009 to join Prestatyn. He had previous spells at Newtown, TNS and Cefn Druids and has also played for Newport Town and Caersws, scoring 131 Welsh Premier goals from 360 appearances.

Cefn Druids have announced that Matty Owen has returned to the Rock from Connah’s Quay Nomads.

Llandudno have signed goalkeeper Alex Lynch, who left Vanarama National League side Chester FC earlier this month.

The former Welsh under-17 international has also played for Peterborough United and Wycombe, where he played in the League Two play-off final in 2015.

Midfielder Jay Gibbs has left Caernarfon Town to join his former Canaries’ boss Iwan Williams at Llandudno.

The former Tranmere Rovers’ youth spend time with Holyhead Hotspur before moving to The Oval.

Meanwhile, defender Danny Taylor has left Maesdu Park to return to Airbus UK Broughton, four and a half years after leaving The Airfield to join Colwyn Bay.

A 26-year-old Chester-born full back who began his career with Shrewsbury Town, Taylor made his Football League debut at the age of 17. But, despite signing a pro contract, he was released from the New Meadow a year later and signed for Airbus in July 2011.

After making thirty-two appearances in season 2011/12 he was allowed to leave my mutual consent in September 2012 to join Colwyn Bay, where he won both the players’ player of the year and supporters’ player of the year awards for the 2013/14 season.

Taylor also had a short spell with home-town club Chester before re-joining the Bay and then moving to Llandudno where he became a regular member of the first team squad, making seventy-seven Welsh Premier appearances and scoring 2 goals.

It’s one in, one out at Bangor City, as James Demetriou has left the club to join Barry Town United, whilst Alex Darlington has joined the Citizens from The New Saints.

Darlington won seven league titles and four Welsh Cups in his time at Park Hall and reinforces the striking options at the VSM Bangor City FC Stadium ahead of Phase 2.

Demetriou, meanwhile, makes a move away from Bangor, having found his opportunities limited since arriving in October.


About Author

Comments are closed.