Pitchero ad

United Counties League Review

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Only one of the two scheduled games in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division took place on Friday, but at least Leicester Nirvana cleared one of their ‘home’ backlog, albeit on Quorn’s 3G pitch.

The game ended 2-2 against Wellingborough Town.

Justin Dowling put the visitors ahead, but Shaquille Master levelled right on half-time with a perfectly executed lob over stand-in keeper Jake Gillingwater.

Will Gonga put Nirvana in front on the hour-mark with a low drive from the edge of the box, but Nat Ansu ran on to a long ball to rifle home the equaliser and earn the Doughboys a point.

A blight on the game came at the final whistle though, as seemingly all twenty-two players and a number of home supporters entered the pitch in an ugly brawl that will see repercussions for the clubs involved and won’t help Nirvana find alternative venues in the future.

The big game on Saturday saw Wisbech Town entertain Newport Pagnell Town with both sides pushing for a promotion spot, but it was the visitors who triumphed with a superb 3-1 scoreline in front of a crowd of 285.

Two quick goals around the quarter-hour mark caught the Fenmen on the hop and they never recovered.

The first was superbly taken on the break by Fazel Koriya, who then set-up the second for Michael Lyon.

Tom Liversedge grabbed the third, punishing a poor defensive header and even though Liversedge was sent-off for an alleged stamp on Billy Smith, all the home side could manage was a stoppage time consolation from Michael Frew.

Holbeach United move up to second and still have a chance, although they have played two games more than both Wisbech and Pagnell.

They were made to work for their 2-1 win at Daventry Town after their ten-goal haul three days earlier though.

Spencer Tinkler headed them in front after 68 minutes, but the lead lasted just 3 minutes as Adam Creaney played in a free-kick from in front of the dug-outs that eluded everybody and ended up in the net.

George Zuerner proved to be the match-winner though, finding the target on 82 minutes and giving the Tigers their fourth straight win.

Deeping Rangers slim chances are even slimmer after Dan Forbes last-gasp equaliser for visitors Harborough Town.

Scott Coupland had put the home side in front, but they failed capitalise on their good start and it ended 1-1 at Outgang Road.

Cogenhoe United’s Jake Stone received the March manager of the month award from league chairman John Weeks before their home game against Sleaford Town and his boys did him proud with a comfortable 3-0 win at home to Sleaford Town.

Ryan Ansell cut inside to fire them in front on 6 minutes, Matt Long converted an Ansell cross on 28 and Ryan Dove added the third from the spot a minute into stoppage time after he’d been brought down in the box.

Kirby Muxloe were pegged back at home to Boston Town with Keegan Townrow netting the visitors late equaliser after Aiden Black had given the home side the a first-half lead.

The Desborough Town versus St Andrews game was decided on penalties, Sam Taylor netting his on 51 minutes, but Jason Turner failing with his late chance, ending 1-0 to the Leicester side.

Eynesbury Rovers and Peterborough Northern Star drew 0-0 to round-up the Premier Division action this weekend.

In Division One, Pinchbeck United secured promotion to the Premier Division at the first time of asking by beating second placed Potton United 2-1 at the Sir Halley Stewart Field.

Aaron Eyett gave The Knights the half-time lead, but the prolific midfield scorer Danny Webb levelled for the visitors on 74 minutes.

It looked like the champagne may have to stay on ice a little while longer, but up popped Ollie Maltby with the winning goal 6 minutes from time.

They still need a point, or Potton and Lutterworth Town to drop one to be crowned champions, but that is a mere formality in truth.

Raunds Town missed the chance to close the gap by more than the point they managed as they were held 3-3 at home by Huntingdon Town.

Jamie Russell gave them the lead on 10 minutes, but Jonathan Hall (18) and Corey Kingston (56) turned the game around.

Far from beaten, Mason Thomas levelled on 70 and Russell got his second on 77 to put the Shopmates back in front, but up popped Antonio Russo to make it 3-3 just 2 minutes from time for an impressive point for Huntingdon.

Lutterworth Town were 4-2 winners at Dunley Way with two of their goals coming from Felix Hogg and Joe Briars – both Harrowby United players.

The Arrows did get two at the right end though, thanks to a Sam Grouse penalty and an Aaron Large effort, but William Clarke and Justin Peace scored the decisive second half goals for The Swifts to give them the points.

Olney Town are fifth in what could prove to be their final season in the UCL after beating Blackstones 2-1 at East Street.

James Saunders and Christian Smail netting the Nurserymen’s goals.

Bourne Town returned to winning ways at home to Buckingham Town.

Zak Munton gave them an 8th minute lead and Dan Schiavi added a second on 23.

The Robins pulled one back, but Gavin Cooke converted from the spot on 35 to restore the two-goal margin. Buckingham pulled another back after the break but had a player sent-off shortly afterwards and The Wakes took the points 3-2.

Thrapston Town were comprehensive 4-0 winners at home to Melton Town, while Bugbrooke St Michaels were 3-0 home winners over Oakham United, leaving a fifteen-point gap between third and second bottom.

Paul Jackson


About Author

Comments are closed.