Pitchero ad

A 96th Minute Leveller Preserves Basford`s Unbeaten Record

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Runaway Evo-Stik League South leaders Basford United faced their biggest test to date as they looked to preserve their marvellous unbeaten start to the season when they travelled to second-placed Bedworth United.

And in front of a second-best crowd of the season to date – 244 – at the Oval, it looked as though the Greenbacks were going to end the Nottinghamshire side`s twenty-five game unbeaten start as they led through Alex Troke`s 14th minute penalty opener going deep into stoppage time at the end of the game.

But not losing becomes a habit and Basford weren`t to be denied as Kieran Fenton rose to plant home a 96th minute header for the last-gasp equaliser.

The draw `cut` Basford`s lead to twenty-one points!

Frickley Athletic moved into third place after they won 4-2 at the Zeeco Stadium against sixth-placed Stamford AFC, leap-frogging Cleethorpes Town, who were held to a 1-1 draw at Stocksbridge Park Steels.

Bradley Fortnam-Tomlinson gave the Daniels a 22nd minute lead, only for Jacob Hazel to level right on half-time.

Gavin Allott put the Blues ahead midway through the second half, only for Jake Duffy to pull the home side level with 10 minutes left.

Four minutes after that, Allott added his second and Hazel made sure with a fourth in stoppage time.

Joe Lumsden gave Steels a 15th minute lead they held at Bracken Moor until time added on at the end of the game when Liam Dickens grabbed Cleethorpes` equaliser.

Fifth-placed Alvechurch suffered a surprise 4-2 defeat at Lye Meadow to mid-table Belper Town, who had lost their previous three games.

But the Nailers led 3-0 at the break, thanks to Leandro Browne, Jamie Ashmore own goal and Dominic Allen.

Nathaniel Waite reduced the deficit 7 minutes after the break and then Browne notched his second on 75 minutes and a few minutes later, Jordan Nadat pulled a second back for `Church.

Leek Town are now just a point off the top six after a 3-1 win at Harrison Park against Lincoln United.

After Phil Watt had given the visitors an early 8th minute lead, Darren Chadwick levelled from the spot on 34 minutes and then goals in the final 10 minutes from Jordan Johnson and Rob Stevenson won it for Leek.

Chasetown are level on points with Leek after a 3-0 win over Newcastle Town at the Lyme Valley Stadium.

The Scholars got off to a great start with goals in the 8th and 11th minutes from Jack Langston`s penalty and George Cater.

Daniel Cocks added a third with still 10 minutes of the first half remaining.

Mamoke Akaunu struck twice as Carlton Town won 3-1 at Market Drayton Town.

The win was Carlton’s first in the league in two months.

Spalding United were held to a 1-1 draw at the Sir Halley Stewart Fields by bottom side Romulus, whose Steve Palmer cancelled out Conor Marshall`s 21st minute opener with 17 minutes to go.

Kidsgrove Athletic came back from 3-1 down to draw 3-3 at Loughborough Dynamo in the day`s other game.

Ashley Hodgkinson and Paulo Piliero had Dynamo two-up by the 26th minute before Kyle Diskin replied 3 minutes later.

But Luke Smithson`s 38th minute third for the hosts gave Grove a lot to do.

However, Lee Cropper after 68 minutes and then Diskin again 5 minutes from time rescued a point for the visitors.


About Author

Comments are closed.