Pitchero ad

AFC Telford Earn Vital Win – Alfreton Come Back To Earn A Draw

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

There were two matches in the Vanarama National League North on Thursday night, both with massive relevance at both ends of the table.

Third-bottom AFC Telford United gave themselves a massive boost in their quest to stay up by beating play-off chasing Spennymoor Town 3-2 at the New Bucks Head.

In front of a crowd of 1,212, Marcus Dinanga opened the scoring for the home side after just 9 minutes from a corner from 18-year-old Ryan Giles, making his full debut for the Bucks after joining on loan from SkyBet Championship leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers.

However, Spennymoor, who occupy the final play-off spot but lost to second-bottom Gainsborough Trinity last time out on Good Friday, raced into a 2-1 interval lead with strikes from distance from Nathan Lowe after 13 minutes and then Andrew Johnson 10 minutes later.

Giles equalised 8 minutes after the break with a firm, low cross past Dan Lowson.

And the Molineux youngster also had a hand in the Bucks` winner 17 minutes from time when his cross was converted by sub Elliot Newby.

Telford`s joy after winning for the first time in three outings was dampened slightly by the news that the other game of the evening between fellow strugglers Curzon Ashton and Alfreton Town had been drawn, meaning Rob Edwards` side would remain in the bottom three on goal difference.

There`s no doubt that the visiting Reds will be the happier with a point as they came back from being 2-0 down at half-time to share the spoils at the Tameside Stadium.

The Nash opened the scoring after 15 minutes when some poor defending allowed Jake Dunwoody to cross for Joe Guest to head home.

And then on 27 minutes, Guest got his and Curzon`s second, collecting Ben McKenna’s pass and firing low into the bottom corner of the net from just outside the area.

But Alfreton, who began the game two points better off than Curzon, got themselves back into the game 5 minutes into the second half when a fine cross from Sam Topliss was headed home by Tom Platt.

And just 6 minutes later, the visitors were back on level terms when a free-kick from Brendon Daniels was stabbed home by Platt stabs from close range.

The Reds pushed hard for a winner as they had the momentum, but the hosts held on for what at this time of the season is a valuable point.


About Author

Comments are closed.