Pitchero ad

Alty`s Lead Cut to Seven Points

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Altrincham`s lead at the top of the Evo-Stik League Premier table was cut to seven points after they were held to a 3-3 draw at a now fifth-placed Ashton United on Saturday.

It was defensive lapses that cost the Robins after taking a 32nd minute lead from the penalty spot from John Johnston after Jamie Poole had been fouled.

But they allowed Ashton to equalise straight from the restart through John Pritchard.

After a lacklustre start to the second half, two goals in a 5-minute spell around the hour-mark seemed to have secured an away victory when Johnston and then a James Jones header made it 3-1.

But, 5 minutes later, a free-kick from the edge of the box which Pritchard curled home reduced the deficit to one and in the 89th minute Matty Chadwick headed in after another defensive mistake.

Warrington Town are second and won 2-0 at Keys Park against a Hednesford Town side who had pushed to within a shout of a top five spot.

But Tony Gray after 20 minutes and Sean Williams 11 minutes into the second half secured a good win for the Wire.

Shaw Lane AFC, who suffered a three-point deduction, are three points back in third after winning by the same margin at Sheerien Park against Coalville Town.

After a goalless opening half, Paul Clayton immediately gave the Ducks the lead in the second half and Damian Reeves added a second just 4 minutes later.

Coalville eventually became frustrated and a poor challenge on Alex Byrne by Kyle Dixon saw the midfielder shown a straight red card 11 minutes from time.

Farsley Celtic are fourth after a goal from Jeff Watkins in the 84th minute gave them victory at bottom-markers Sutton Coldfield Town.

Grantham Town`s play-off challenge is slipping though as they dropped down to sixth after losing 3-1 at the Weaver Stadium to Nantwich Town.

Sean Cooke and Harry Clayton had the Dabbers two-up at the break.

Matty Bell added a third in the 72nd minute, with Lee Shaw netting an 89th minute consolation for the Gingerbreads.

Barwell are now just a point behind Grantham in seventh and Witton Albion two points further behind but with games in hand in eighth after both won 1-0 on Saturday.

Barwell beat Workington AFC at Kirkby Road, thanks to a 37th minute Brady Hickey effort, while Mike Wilson`s 14th minute effort sealed Albion`s win at Wincham Park against Whitby Town.

At the other end of the table, Halesowen Town, who were deducted four points, gained three to stay three in front of Sutton Coldfield after beating Matlock Town at The Grove.

Spencer Weir-Daley gave the Yeltz the lead after 4 minutes, only for Shaun Harrad to level within 5 minutes.

Ted Cribley then gave the Gladiators a 62nd minute lead they held until the final 2 minutes when Roland Agbor equalised and then Lee Knight won it with literally the last kick of the game.

Marine AFC and Stalybridge Celtic are now still in trouble after both lost.

The Mariners were beaten 3-1 at home by Mickleover Sports with goals from Andy Dales after 27 minutes, Evan Garnett 5 minutes later and Dales again 15 minutes from time – John McGrath replying in the 80th minute.

Celtic were beaten 2-0 at Marston Road by Stafford Rangers, for whom Izak Reid and Kieren Westwood found the target.

Danny Waldron bagged a brace in the 17th and 25th minutes to seal Rushall Olympic`s win at the Giant Axe against Lancaster City in the day`s other game.


About Author

Comments are closed.