Pitchero ad

Bulls & Terras Make Up Ground On Leaders

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

With leaders King`s Lynn Town being without a game, the chasing pack had the opportunity to make up ground in the Evo-Stik league South Premier on Saturday.

Hereford FC and Weymouth did just that, but Kettering Town were left frustrated by a waterlogged Latimer Park pitch.

The Bulls struggled to create many clearcut chances at Edgar Street against Biggleswade Town and just before the break, Lance Smith had a great chance to make it 1-0 but his penalty was easily saved.

The home side were boosted when the Waders had Connor Hall dismissed with a straight red card 20 minutes from time.

But when Mike Symons` header hit the underside of the bar, the majority in the 2,378 crowd thought it was going to be `one of those days`.

However, up popped Keyon Reffell 2 minutes into stoppage time to win it for the Bulls and take them to within a point of the Linnets with three games in hand.

At the Bob Lucas Stadium, a crowd of 653 saw Weymouth beat Biggleswade`s neighbours St Neots Town 3-1.

Brandon Goodship opened the scoring with a penalty in the 33rd minute, after Saints` captain Luke Knight was dismissed.

But the Saints levelled in the 71st minute through Jack Bradshaw prior to Stephane Zubar and Jordan Ngalo strikes in the 85th and 93rd minute respectively.

Royston Town moved into the top five after they won 4-1 at Frome Town, moving above Slough Town, who were beaten 1-0 at Arbour Park by a Banbury United side now only two points off a play-off spot.

The Crows made a great comeback at Frome after falling behind to an early 5th minute Joe Raynes effort.

Scott Bridges equalised 15 minutes later and then on the half-hour mark, Rhodell Gordon put the visitors in front.

And then in the final 12 minutes, Gordon added his second and Joe Hankins made it 4-1.

There was little between Slough and Banbury in the first half but on 66 minutes the Puritans went in front when Ricky Johnson was put through on goal down the middle by Elliot Sandy and the United striker finished well, lifting the ball over Jack Turner in the Slough goal for the only goal of the game in front of 514.

Chesham United could have gone above Slough and Royston had they managed to beat lowly Dorchester Town at the Meadow.

But a 2-2 draw left the Generals in seventh, level on points with Slough.

Ben Crilley gave the home side the lead 5 minutes before the break, only for Ashley Pope to bring the Magpies back on level terms 5 minutes into the second half.

Sam Lanahan then put the visitors ahead in the 79th minute, and again the response was swift as Ravi Shamsi levelled within 3 minutes.

Bottom-markers Gosport Borough picked up only their ninth point of the season to date, but with second-bottom Dunstable Town losing again, the gap is now down to three points.

The Boro hosted Merthyr Town at Privett Park and it was the Welshmen who took a 22nd minute lead when, after a series of corners, Corey Jenkins found himself with the ball outside the box and his effort slipped through the keepers` hands.

But the hosts showed plenty of fighting spirit and levelled with just 9 minutes left when Craig McAllister’s effort struck the Martyrs` keeper and landed at the feet of Stephane Bombelenga who made no mistake slotting the ball into an empty net.

Dunstable went down to a 3-2 Creasey Park defeat to Stratford Town.

Michael Taylor had the visitors in front inside the opening 5 minutes.

And that was how it stayed until 5 minutes into the second half when Taylor grabbed Stratford`s second.

Kieran Ogden reduced the deficit on the hour-mark, only for Liam Francis to restore the visitors` two-goal advantage 15 minutes later.

Arel Amu pulled a second back for the Duns, but it came in stoppage time and too late to effect a comeback.

The day`s only other game saw Farnborough`s improved form continue with a 3-1 win at Top Field against Hitchin Town.

Boro led 2-0 at half-time, thanks to Perry Coles after 15 minutes and Michael Elias-Fernandes 9 minutes later.

Elias-Fernandes added his second and the visitors` third shortly after half-time, with Brett Donnelly scoring a 63rd minute consolation for the Canaries.


About Author

Comments are closed.