Pitchero ad

Chesham Hit Bakers Dozen Against Beleagured Martyrs

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Although not affecting the top or bottom of the Evo-Stik League South Premier table, all the headlines on Saturday will be focussed on Chesham United`s 13-1 win at The Meadow against Merthyr Town.

The Martyrs saw 80% of their squad leave this week because of a financial crisis and fielded a development squad of teenagers.

It was always going to be tough against an experienced Generals side and Merthyr trailed 9-0 at half-time after Matt Bevans` early 2nd minute penalty and then a hat-trick for Lewis Toomey, braces for Kieran Murphy and Giuseppe Iaciofano and one from Ben Crilley.

And the visitors were losing 13-0 after Iaciafano added two more to his personal tally and Shane Bush and Dave Hutton also got on the scoresheet before a consolation effort by Jacob Flower arrived 7 minutes from time.

But well done to Chesham who were extremely gracious hosts and everyone was quick to praise the youngsters who wore the Martyrs colours and the faithful few who made the long journey from Wales.

There was another notable `first` on Saturday as bottom-markers Gosport Borough finally won their first game of the season at the seventeenth attempt.

Boro beat second-bottom Dunstable Town 1-0 at Privett Park to move to within two points of the Bedfordshire side, who were reduced to ten-men early in the first half when Ryan Young saw red after an altercation with Lee Molyneux.

James Thompson headed home to put Gosport in the lead with seconds of the first half remaining and, despite being up against ten-men, they were forced to hang on in the end.

King`s Lynn Town hold a five-point lead at the top of the table after winning 2-1 at the Camrose against Basingstoke Town.

Michael Clunan`s 25th minute penalty got the Linnets up and running.

Ben Wright equalised 4 minutes into the second half, but Sam Gaughran restored the visitors` advantage less than 3 minutes later – a lead they held.

Slough Town took over second spot after leap-frogging Weymouth after beating them 3-0 in front of 923 at Arbour Park.

George Wells gave the Rebels a 24th minute lead with a 25-yard strike.

James Dobson added a second 5 minutes before half-time.

And a good victory was wrapped up in the 86th minute when Josh Jackman made it 3-0.

Hereford FC are now fourth after they hammered Hitchin Town 5-0 at Edgar Street in front of a crowd of 2,104.

Tyrone Duffus bagged a brace in the 17th and 35th minutes for the Bulls and Lance Smith made it 3-0 right on the stroke of half-time.

Smith went on to complete his hat-trick in the 62nd and 73rd minutes for a comprehensive Bulls win.

Kettering Town dropped to fourth after they had a bad day down in Dorset as they suffered a 4-1 defeat to lowly Dorchester Town.

Goals from Billy Lowes after 7 minutes and Sam Lanahan 8 minutes later had the Magpies in control.

Rene Howe reduced the deficit on 67 minutes, only for David Jerrard to restore Dorchester`s two-goal cushion less than a minute later.

The Poppies had Marshall Willock sent-off a minute and 20 seconds after coming on as a substitute for a late challenge.

And Mo Baghdadi added the home side`s fourth 12 minutes from time.

Tiverton Town are sixth after winning 2-1 at Ladysmead against fast-falling Stratford Town, who have now lost three on the spin.

However, they led through Ben Stephens` early 5th minute opener.

It wasn`t until 18 minutes from time that Tom Bath equalised.

And then top scorer Levi Landricombe grabbed Tivvy`s winner in the 81st minute.

Tivvy`s neighbours Frome Town are seventh, but five points behind the Devonians.

And they dropped two points after sharing a 2-2 draw at third-bottom St Ives Town.

Frome fell behind to a 7th minute Tom McGowan effort and James Hall gave the Saints a 2-0 lead by the 18th minute.

Jake Jackson started the comeback in the 64th minute and then Marcus Mapstone equalised 12 minutes from time.

Banbury United shared a 1-1 Spencer Stadium draw with St Neots Town.

The Puritans took the lead through Conor McDonagh in the 31st minute but were pegged back by a Dylan Williams goal in the 54th minute.

Royston Town enjoyed a 2-1 Garden Walk win over Redditch United.

Spencer Weir-Daley gave the Reds the lead a minute before half-time – and a minute after the break, Martel Powell levelled.

Scott Bridges won it for the Crows with a goal on the hour-mark.

There was drama at Bishop`s Stortford, who trailed twice before earning a point from a 2-2 draw.

Perry Coles gave Boro an 8th minute lead they held until the 67th minute when Jason Williams levelled.

But Bobby Dormer looked to have won it for the visitors when he scored a second as stoppage time ticked in.

But Jordan Westcott popped up with the last-kick of the game 4 minutes into time added on to salvage a point for the Blues.

Liam Brooks bagged a brace as Biggleswade Town ended a run of seven league games without a win at the Carlsberg Stadium against Kings Langley.

Brooks struck in the 60th and 76th minutes.


About Author

Comments are closed.