Pitchero ad

Cray Take Over Top Spot

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Cray Wanderers took over as leaders of the Bostik League South by a point on Saturday after they won 2-1 at Ramsgate and overnight leaders Lewes` game was postponed.

Cray were made to scrap for the points though after Michael Power and Brandon Scott had given them a 2-0 lead with goals just before the break.

Rory Smith reduced the arrears to just one in the 53rd minute, and the Wands had to hold on with ten-men for the last half-hour or so after losing Lea Dawson to a second yellow card offence.

Corinthian-Casuals are third, just three points behind Cray, after winning 2-0 at King George`s Field against mid-table Horsham.

First half goals from Jordan Clarke and Gabriel Odunaike sealed Casuals` victory.

Greenwich Borough are two points further back in fifth after surprisingly being beaten 3-1 at the DGS Marine Stadium by VCD Athletic.

Alfie Cue gave the Vickers a 16th minute lead that Junior Baker on the half-hour mark and Warren Mfula 7 minutes later, added to.

Travis Gregory `won` the second half for Boro with a goal in the 83rd minute, but it was just a cosolation.

The top six possess a seven-point advantage on the rest, who are now led by Hythe Town after their 6-0 hammering of basement side Shoreham.

The Cannons only led 1-0 at the break, courtesy of a goal on the half-hour mark from Darren Oldaker.

But Zak Ansah bagged a second half brace along with a second for Oldaker and one for Jerson Dos Santos and Kieron Campbell to make it 6-0.

Whyteleafe are eighth and won 5-2 at now tenth-placed Phoenix Sports.

It was a good day for `Leafe`s Vance Bola, who netted a second half hat-trick, topped and tailed by Lanre Azeez and Sam Clayton – an Ashley Probets penalty and Zak Bryon replying.

Elsewhere, Hastings United won 2-1 at the Pilot Field against Ashford United in front of a good crowd of 420.

Calum Davies opened the United account after just 8 minutes and, after Will Thomas had equalised right on half-time, Jack Dixon`s goal 3 minutes after the break proved to be the hosts` winner.

A crowd of 530 saw Guernsey and Thamesmead Town share a 2-2 draw at Footes Lane, with Paul Vines after 13 minutes and Danny Parish after 21 minutes giving Mead a 2-1 interval lead – Jamie Dodd having levelled in between.

Kelechi Akpobire equalised for the hosts 3 minutes into the second half.

It also finished 2-2 between Chipstead and second-bottom Molesey at High Road, although the home side had to come back from being Reis Stanislaus and Dre Grobler goals down to salvage a point through Allan Tait and Sam Bell in the second half.


About Author

Former Swansea City and Kettering Town defender who has been managing the likes of Kettering Town u18s, Rothwell Town, Desborough Town and Wellingborough Town for 33 years as well as being technical director at AFC Rushden & Diamonds. Began in non-League journalism as editor of Team Talk magazine back in the early 1990s and then as editor of Non-League Daily, joining Pitchero to set up Pitchero Non-League in January 2011. Also works for the National League.

Comments are closed.