Pitchero ad

Evo-Stik South East Title Race Still Wide Open

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

The Evo-Stik League South East title race is still wide open after the top four all won on Saturday, leaving just four points separating them.

Beaconsfield Town slipped into top spot on Thursday and remain a point ahead after winning 4-2 at Moneyfields.

Jerome Eccleston and Tony Mendy gave Town a two-goal lead by the 16th minute, with Joe Briggs reducing the arrears in the 23rd minute.

Kezie Ibe made it 3-1 in the 34th minute, only for Sam Pearce to pull Moneys back into the game 10 minutes after the break.

But a Lee Barney goal in stoppage time settled the game in Beaconsfield`s favour.

Second-placed AFC Rushden & Diamonds were looking to get back on track after four successive draws.

A terrific crowd of 626 on a `pay what you want` day saw them ease to a 4-1 win against Aylesbury United, leading 2-0 at the break through Ryan Robbins and Spencer Weir-Daley.

A Liam Dolman own goal gave the Ducks hope in the 63rd minute, but Joe Curtis on 75 minutes and Tom Lorraine 2 minutes from time sealed a comfortable win for the hosts.

Hayes & Yeading United have only two games left so need a massive shift of form to see them take an automatic spot, although a 6-1 home win over Egham Town won`t do their chances any harm.

Manny Duku bagged a brace, Tommy Smith, Sahr Kabba, Spyros Mentis and Duncan Culley singles, with Mitch Wiseman having equalised for the Sarnies in the 31st minute.

Hartley Wintney are still in with an outside chance and have four games left and trail by four points after a 4-0 home win over Uxbridge, courtesy of a Nic Ciardini hat-trick and one from Dean Stow from the spot.

AFC Dunstable and Cambridge City occupy the other play-off spots but shared a 2-2 draw at Creasey Park in which the home side led 2-0 through BJ Christie and Leon Cashman by the 16th minute.

Ryan Sharman reduced the deficit on 71 minutes and then 8 minutes into time added on at the end of the game James Hall hauled City level.

Chalfont St Peter still have a chance of catching the top six, but a 1-1 draw at home to Kempston Rovers didn`t help their hopes as they are five points behind City with four games to go.

They almost got nothing from the game though as Josh Crawley gave the Walnut Boys the lead with only 9 minutes to go before George Fenton rescued the Saints in stoppage time.

Who goes down is still, remarkably, open – just!

Arlesey Town`s 3-2 defeat at home to Hanwell Town leaves them 15 points behind Barton Rovers with 18 points left to play for.

Arlesey led 2-0 as well, thanks to Keanu Williams and Ashley Farooqui by the 32nd minute, but crumbled after Calum Duffy pulled one back 18 minutes from time, conceding two more from Dan Fleming and Goldy Capela.

Barton suffered a 5-2 defeat at Thame United, whose Lynton Goss grabbed a hat-trick and Dan West a brace – Andrew Phillips and Michael Gyasi replying.

Elsewhere, Brad Wilson`s 9th minute penalty earned Fleet Town the points at Calthorpe Park against Northwood.


About Author

Comments are closed.