Pitchero ad

Harrogate & Brackley Maintain Their Unbeaten Records

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Harrogate Town and Brackley Town both maintained the unbeaten records in the Vanarama National League North on Bank Holiday Monday.

Harrogate travelled to Croft Park to take on a Blyth Spartans side buoyed by a 3-0 win at Curzon Ashton on Saturday.

But they overcame the newly-promoted hosts after a bad-tempered affair that saw numerous bookings and a red card.

Terry Kennedy put the visitors ahead following a corner after 41 minutes.

Harrogate sub Jack Vann was sent-off for a reckless challenge on David McTiernan with 10 minutes to go.

But Spartans couldn`t make the extra man tell and in stoppage time conceded a second through Josh Falkingham.

Brackley dropped their first points of the season on Saturday in a goalless draw at Chorley, but got back on track with a 2-0 win at St James`s Park against Kidderminster Harriers.

The home side had the better of the game and lead at half-time when Lee Ndlovu`s neat header from a free-kick after 26 minutes beat Brandon Hall in the Harriers goal.

Although Harriers did better in the second half, they were unable to break the home side down and on 68 minutes, conceded a second when James Armson sent a looping header past Hall and into the far corner.

Salford City inflicted a first defeat of the season to date on relegated Southport to move into third place in the early table.

In front of a crowd of 1,757 at Moor Lane, it was the visitors who drew first blood when Steve Jennings gave them an 18th minute lead, beating keeper Max Crocombe from distance.

Ritchie Allen almost equalised 4 minutes later, but his volley came back off the crossbar.

But they eventually did equalise in the 63rd minute when Jack Redshaw picked out Manny Dieseruvwe, who fired into the bottom corner.

And then 6 minutes from time, a Mike Phenix cross was deflected past how own keeper by Jacques Kpohomouh.

Tamworth – beaten at Harrogate 48 hours earlier – came from behind to secure a 3-1 victory over Stockport County at The Lamb.

The visitors took the lead through Sam Miniham in the first 5 minutes, but Bradley Reid equalised just 6 minutes later.

And then a second half brace from striker Reece Styche on 76 and 87 minutes was enough to claim victory in front of big holiday crowd of 1,120.

Midfielder Simon Heslop was sent-off as ten-man York City crashed to a 2-0 defeat to FC United of Manchester at Bootham Crescent.

The visitors came into the game having won just once in their previous six matches.

But early substitute Tom Greaves gave the visitors the lead with only 11 minutes remaining after Heslop had already received his marching orders for a second bookable offence.

FC United ensured the points went back across the Pennines when striker Jason Gilchrist made it 2-0 in stoppage time before a crowd of 3,411.

Leamington are finding the going tough on their return to the division and suffered a six defeat in seven against AFC Telford United at the New Windmill Ground.

Anthony Dwyer was the Bucks` hero on the day as his quickfire double on 19 and 21 minutes helped the visitors a comfortable 3-0 win.

And they wrapped up the points 19 minutes from time with a third from Jordan Lussey.

Alfreton Town recovered from Saturday`s defeat at Kidderminster to inflict another defeat on Curzon Ashton.

The Tamesiders suffered a disappointing 3-0 home defeat to Blyth 48 hours earlier and conceded four more at the Impact Arena.

The Reds led 1-0 at the break, thanks to Adam Smith`s 12th minute opener.

Craig Westcarr eventually doubled that lead on 64 minutes, and then two late goals from Tom Platt and Brendon Daniels completed a comfortable win for John McDermott`s side.

North Ferriby United suffered a fifth defeat in seven as Gainsborough Trinity won for only the second time to date.

Trinity won 2-0 at the Northolme, taking a 28th minute lead through Michael Jacklin.

And then striker Nathan Jarman added a second a minute before the break – a goal that eventually proved enough for victory.

North-east rivals Darlington FC and Spennymoor Town played out an entertaining 1-1 draw at Blackwell Meadows in front of a crowd of over 2000.

David Foley put the visitors in front after 23 minutes.

But Gary Brown pulled the Quakers back on level terms just shy of the hour-mark – and a point apiece was just about right on the day.

There was late drama at the Jakemans Stadium as two goals inside the last 30 seconds saw Boston United and Nuneaton Town shared a similar outcome.

Boro were looking to follow up their 4-0 thrashing of Leamington on Saturday, and looked as though they`d won it when Mitch Glover finally broke the deadlock in the 89th minute.

However, 2 minutes into stoppage time, Brad McGowan slammed home the equaliser following a corner.

Bradford Park Avenue made it three games unbeaten with an uneventful goalless draw at the Horsfall Stadium against a Chorley side who also drew 0-0 on Saturday.


About Author

Comments are closed.