Pitchero ad

Harrogate Pull Clear After Ammies Lose At Home

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Harrogate Town stretched their lead at the top of the Vanarama National League North table to three points after they won 2-1 at the Tameside Stadium against Curzon Ashton, while second-placed Salford City were surprisingly beaten 3-2 at home by Leamington.

Joe Leesley’s 9th goal of the season gave Harrogate the lead after just 10 minutes in front of a decent crowd on Non-League Day of just over 500.

But Curzon hit back with a superb strike from Chris Rowney in the 25th minute.

The visitors had plenty of possession in the second half, but couldn`t find a way through, until the 87th minute when Mitch Curry converted Liam Agnew’s through ball.

Salford`s eleven-game unbeaten run come to an end on a frustrating afternoon for the Ammies at Moor Lane.

The Brakes took a 20th minute lead from the penalty spot through Rob Thompson-Brown after a foul by Carl Piergianni.

The Ammies were level within 9 minutes though when Louis Maynard whipped in a cross in which deflected off Mike Phenix and into the far corner of the net.

But right on the stroke of half-time, Leamington were back in front when Connor Gudger hit a free-kick into the back of the net off a post.

On 65 minutes, Salford were level once more, and again it was Phenix the scorer as he headed in Anthony Dudley`s corner.

However, in the 86th minute, Kurtis Revan touched the ball in on the goalline from Kieran Dunbar’s corner to win it for Paul Holleran`s side.

Blyth Spartans are third after hammering Nuneaton Town 6-3 at Croft Park.

And that after Boro led through Ashley Chambers in the 19th minute!

But three goals in 4 minutes just before half-time turned the game in Blyth`s favour in front of a crowd of 901.

Daniel Maguire equalised on 37 minutes and then Dale Hopson and Maguire again took them into the break 3-1 up.

Niall Heaton pulled Nuneaton back into the game 7 minutes after the restart but by the time Chambers scored his second in the 85th minute, they were 6-2 down after a second for Hopson on 68 minutes and then Dave McTiernan added a fifth less than a minute later.

Spartans had Jordan Laidler dismissed for a foul on Exodus Geogaghon, but the ten-men added a sixth on 82 minutes with Hopson completing his hat-trick.

Nuneaton boss Tommy Wright fumed after the game: “I feel as though I am saying the same things.

“We need to get to the bottom of why we keep making the same mistakes and why the penny is not dropping.

“The lads were feeling sorry for themselves at half-time but we were guilty of making our own demise.
“I felt that we started the game well and could have been two goals up and then we started the second half with some fight, but we’ve come away from home, scored three goals and lost the game and it’s not the first time it has happened this season.

“I am frustrated and the supporters have every right to air their frustrations too.

“The application and desire was an improvement on last weekend. but teams seem to be clinical against us at the moment and it’s taking us fifteen chances to score a goal.”

Blyth`s north-east neighbours Spennymoor Town are fourth after they won 2-1 at struggling Southport.

Managerless Port fell behind to a 39th minute David Foley effort.

However, it looked as though they were heading for a point when Jack Sampson eventually pulled them back on level terms with less than 2 minutes remaining.

But, as happens when things aren`t going your way, Moors won it in stoppage time with a goal from Glen Taylor.

Kidderminster Harriers earned a point from their trip to in-form Bradford Park Avenue.

Adam Nowakowski had given Avenue a 37th minute lead.

But right on the stroke of half-time, Manny Sonupe popped up with his 8th goal of the season to level matters at 1-1, which is how the scoreline remained.

New York City manager Martin Gray was able to celebrate a late 2-1 victory against third-placed Brackley Town in his opening game in charge at Bootham Crescent.

Striker Jon Parkin scored twice in the 20th and 86th minutes to take his overall tally for the season to 8 – his second and winning goal being a superb free-kick.

Aaron Williams had equalised for the Northamptonshire visitors in the 70th minute.

Chorley moved into seventh spot after a 2-0 win at the Impact Arena against Alfreton Town.

Nick Haughton once again proved to be the Magpies goal hero.

He put them in front after 12 minutes and then confirmed victory with a second with less than 5 minutes remaining.

Gainsborough Trinity followed up Tuesday`s Emirates FA Cup win over Leamington by earning their first league win since the end of August – and only their third overall – at The Lamb against Tamworth.

It was the hosts who broke the deadlock through Reece Styche after 41 minutes.

But Trinity responded quickly by equalising immediately after the interval through Nathan Jarman.

And they won the game with an 83rd minute Bradley Wells effort.

AFC Telford United won 2-1 against Boston United at the New Bucks Head in front of 1,097.

Skipper Shane Sutton opened the scoring for the hosts after 29 minutes before his own goal pulled Boston level on 40 minutes.

But right on the stroke of half-time, Anthony Dwyer grabbed what proved to be the winner with a spectacular long-range effort.

The first game after the end of Martin Gray’s days saw Darlington FC begin a new era by almost earning victory against Stockport County, who equalised in added time at Blackwell Meadows.

In front of a crowd of 1,758, a week which has seen some bizarre goings-on at Darlington ended with Phil Turnbull and Gary Brown in temporary charge after Brian Atkinson and Sean Gregan were unable to replace Gray, who had chosen to move to York City.

Terry Galbraith gave the Quakers the lead 2 minutes into the second half.

And it looked as though the temporary managers would celebrate with a win, until Jason Oswell grabbed County`s equaliser in stoppage time.

Two other strugglers, North Ferriby United and FC United of Manchester, enjoyed an entertaining encounter, but a 3-3 draw, which was probably fair in the end, has done little for either side’s hopes of climbing out of the relegation zone.

Kuda Muskwe bagged a brace for the Villagers in the 43rd and 58th minutes, sandwiched by a Steve Brogan effort from a free-kick.

But it was not enough for three points as goals from new signing Tom Walker on 42 minutes, Tom Greaves on 62 minutes and Steve Irwin 17 minutes from time earned the Reds a draw.


About Author

Comments are closed.