Pitchero ad

Harrogate & Salford Continue To Lead The Way

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Harrogate Town and Salford City maintained parity at the top of the Vanarama National League North table after wins for both on Tuesday night.

Harrogate`s victory was certainly the more eye-catching in beating relegated Southport 4-1 at the Merseyrail Community Stadium.

Town`s Jordan Thewlis opened the scoring after just 30 seconds, converting Joe Leesley’s pull-back, and made it two on 18 minutes with a header.

Gary Roberts’ 55th minute penalty gave the hosts hope of a comeback, but Thewlis completed his hat-trick in the 73rd minute to put the result beyond doubt.

Leesley then capped another fine Harrogate display with a fourth goal 9 minutes from time as he powered a low drive through a host of bodies to make it four.

Salford won 3-0 at Moor Lane against a Nuneaton Town outfit for whom this was a sixth defeat in eleven matches.

And the Ammies were in front after less than 9 minutes when Louis Maynard rose to meet a corner and power a header home.

The home side`s Jack Redshaw hit a post 2 minutes afterwards but on 13 minutes it was 2-0 when Anthony Dudley fired home from the edge of the box.

On 33 minutes Salford added a third when another Maynard header from a corner is cleared off the line, only to fall to Josh Askew who struck the ball into the back of the net from the edge of the area through a sea of legs.

Despite bossing possession in the second half as well, Salford were unable to add to their tally.

North Ferriby United are looking more and more like candidates for successive relegations after suffering a 6-0 hammering at home against newly-promoted Spennymoor Town.

The visitors took Ferriby apart at will and it ended up being the Humbersider`s largest home defeat in senior football – the previous being a 2-6 defeat by Gretna in April 2001.

Moors raced into a three-goal lead within 18 minutes, with Mark Anderson, Chris Mason and Glen Taylor putting the game beyond bottom-markers Ferriby.

Anderson scored a further two goals either side of a Kallum Griffiths strike as Jason Ainsley’s side recorded their first win since August 22nd.

Blyth Spartans, who came up with Spennymoor, are fourth in the early reckonings after a 2-0 Croft Park victory over Chorley.

Nathan Buddle broke the deadlock with a header in the 56th minute – and it was a double blow for the Magpies as they had Stephen Jordan dismissed in the aftermath of the goal being scored.

And 6 minutes from time, Blyth made the points safe when Daniel Maguire ran through from the halfway line to beat the visiting keeper to make it 2-0.

Early leaders Brackley Town show no signs of going away from the top end of the table and earned a decent point from a 1-1 draw at the Impact Arena against Alfreton Town.

Lee Ndlovu gave the visitors a 15th minute lead that Craig Westcarr cancelled out with a header within 3 minutes.

AFC Telford United earned one of their best wins of the season to date in edging out Stockport County in the rain at the New Bucks Head.

Former Stockport favourite John Marsden gave the Bucks an 11th minute lead that Matty Warburton cancelled out after 23 minutes.

Anthony Dwyer restored the home side`s lead after 41 minutes, but less than 3 minutes later, new signing from FC Halifax Town, Bohan Dixon, took Stockport into the break on level terms.

However, Telford fans in the 853 crowd were able to celebrate after Jordan Murphy`s 71st minute third goal proved to be the winner.

Tamworth recorded a first win over Kidderminster Harriers since 2009 with a 2-1 success at The Lamb.

Darryl Knights gave the home side the lead 5 minutes before half-time.

And then 8 minutes into the second period, Bradley Reid added a second for Andy Morrell`s side.

Joe Ironside gave Harriers` fans in the 723 crowd hope of a comeback, but they weren`t able to find a leveller.

Interestingly, the game at The Lamb was refereed by – Mr B Lamb!

Josh Law rescued a point for York City on a frustrating night against Gainsborough Trinity at Bootham Crescent.

Struggling Trinity came into the game having lost seven of their previous ten games.

But it was they who broke the deadlock with a 68th minute Jonathan Wafula’s goal.

Defender Josh Law popped up with the Minstermen`s leveller 15 minutes from time, and in the closing stages, experienced strike duo Jon Parkin and Michael Rankine squandered glorious chances to win the game as City missed out on registering a third consecutive win for the first time since April 2014.


About Author

Comments are closed.