Pitchero ad

Hereford Are Champions

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Hereford FC won the Evo-Stik League South Premier championship on Tuesday evening with three games to spare.

Rob Purdie’s penalty just before half-time after Jennison Myrie-Williams was brought down in the box was the only goal of the game at Langford Road against Biggleswade Town as the Bulls charged to a third successive promotion.

Hereford fans in the crowd of 740 celebrated at the final whistle but the trophy presentation will take place on Saturday when the Bulls entertain play-off chasing Kettering Town at Edgar Street in front of an expected full house.

The Poppies have a chance of finishing second after hammering bottom-markers Gosport Borough 7-0 at Privett Park.

A demoralised Boro side were thoroughly outplayed and with three games left, Gosport remain two points behind relegation rivals Dunstable Town.

However, Boro have played one game more and have an inferior goal difference.

Kettering took a 12th minute lead when Ben Milnes’ shot was blocked inside the area before Matt Stevens struck home the rebound.

The hosts had a let off when Harry Medway fouled Rhys Hoeness and the referee pointed to the penalty spot. However, on the advice his assistant, the official changed his decision to a free-kick on the edge of the area.

The visitors extended their lead on 19 minutes when Brett Solkhon hammered the ball into the roof of the net from a corner.

Gosport’s best effort also came from a corner with a goal-bound McAlister header tipped onto the bar by the visiting keeper.

There was no respite for the hosts and in the 25th minute Solkhon coolly converted a penalty following a foul by Nathan Walker.

A fourth came with Rene Howe netting on 58 minutes, Stevens added a fifth goal in the 73rd minute, Howe notched his second of the game before Aaron O’Connor rubbed salt into the wound in the closing minutes.

Elsewhere on Tuesday night, Stratford Town almost matched Kettering by hammering third-bottom St Ives Town 6-2 at the Pro-Edge Stadium.

A 2nd minute Charlie Evans goal gave the visitors a great start which was cancelled out within a minute by Peter Clark.

But Stratford raced into a 5-1 lead by the 35th minute with goals at regular intervals from Ed Ahenkorah, James Fry, Ben Stephens and Michael Taylor, with a Tom Knowles penalty reducing the deficit 3 minutes later.

A much quieter second half saw Stephens add his second on 56 minutes to make it 6-2.

Not far away at St Neots Town, Jordan Norville-Williams on the half-hour mark, Dylan Williams on 49 minutes and Nabil Shariff 4 minutes from time sealed the Saints` 3-0 win over Banbury United.

Callum Bunting and Sam Smart gave Basingstoke Town a 2-0 lead by the 37th minute at the Camrose against Bishop`s Stortford, whose Mark Hughes pulled one back after 67 minutes.

Sam Deadfield added a third for `Stoke after 73 minutes, with Joe Robinson reducing the arrears 5 minutes from time.

Tiverton Town and Dorchester Town shared a goalless draw at Ladysmead in the evening`s other game.


About Author

Comments are closed.