Pitchero ad

Important Wins For Top Six Trio

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

There may have only been three matches in the Vanarama National League on Tuesday night but they all had significance at either end of the table.

Sutton United moved to within two points of leaders Macclesfield Town after winning the derby against Woking at Gander Green Lane.

The leaders` game at the Gallagher Stadium was postponed late due to congestion on the M25.

A serious accident caused long delays and, after consultations with all parties, the decision was taken to call the game off.

But the U`s took full advantage with a third successive win with goals either side of half-time.

Good attempts by Aswad Thomas and Byron Harrison, both from long accurate crosses, were narrowly spurned by the hosts.

However, after 33 minutes, a long corner from Harry Beautyman was headed back across goal by Jamie Collins into a mix of bodies. Harrison re-directed the ball which then appeared to be spilled by Woking `keeper Nathan Baxter resulting in the loose ball being bundled into the net at the second attempt by the on-loan Barrow AFC striker.

Then 10 minutes into the second half, Tom Bolarinwa ran into space and collected a pass to run on and pass the ball into the Cards goal to double the hosts lead.

Woking huffed and puffed but weren`t able to offer any response and Sutton held onto the lead fairly comfortably.

Aldershot Town returned to third spot after a 2-1 win against struggling Hartlepool United at the EBB Stadium.

Goals for Scott Rendell and Manny Oyeleke condemned managerless Pools to a third successive defeat.

Blair Adams’ superb 45th minute strike had brought Pools level at the break after Scott Rendell had given The Shots a 13th minute lead, sliding in to convert Shamir Fenelon’s low cross.

The Shots had enjoyed the better of the half but Pools came back into it in the closing stages and Adams found an equaliser from nowhere with a curling 20-yard drive.

The hosts re-took the lead on the hour-mark, as Oyeleke’s hooked shot beat Pools` keeper Scott Loach and, via the inside of the post, rolled over the line.

Dover Athletic moved up to sixth after third-bottom hosts Chester FC also lost for a third time on the spin, going down 2-0 at the Swansway Chester Stadium.

The Whites, looking to follow up last weekend`s 1-0 win against Leyton Orient – the only game of the day due to the snow – were grateful to keeper Mitch Walker for keeping out Harry White in the first half with a fine save.

But they eventually grabbed the initiative and took the lead after 64 minutes when Kevin Lokko was allowed time and space to head past Chester `keeper Andy Firth.

And 7 minutes later, Dover made the long midweek trek back to the Kent coast a happy one when a cross from the lively Ade Azeez was turned past Firth by home defender Ryan Astles.

The win lifts the Whites five points clear of eighth-placed AFC Fylde, while Chester languish six points adrift of the safety mark.

The other scheduled game for Tuesday night, Guiseley AFC`s vital game with fellow strugglers Barrow AFC, was postponed due to a waterlogged Nethermoor Park pitch.


About Author

Comments are closed.