Pitchero ad

Ray Simpson`s Midweek Northern League Round-Up

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Ebac Northern League Second Division side Northallerton Town pulled off a surprise in the Brooks Mileson Northern League Cup when they beat First Division Ashington in a penalty shoot-out on Tuesday night.

They took the lead on 20 minutes through Aaron Ramsbottom from a free-kick, then Nicky Martin made it 2-0 from a Liam Jarvie pass just before half-time.

But Ashington’s Callum Johnston pulled one back on the hour-mark at the second attempt, and then with 9 minutes left, Ben Harmison fired the equaliser.

However, Northallerton keeper Tom Dawson saved Ashington’s fifth penalty, and Martin put his side into the next round for a 5-4 win on penalties.

West Auckland Town lost 3-1 at home to Consett, who took the lead with a strike by Jack Elliott after 42 minutes, and went further ahead with a Michael Sweet header.

West pulled a goal back through Nathan Fisher, but David Dowson pounced on a mistake to put Consett 3-1 up.

Newton Aycliffe easily beat Ryton & Crawcrook Albion 5-0.

Recent signing Nathan Stephenson put Aycliffe into the lead from a Jack Oliver pass midway through the first half, then Stuart Banks got the second on the hour-mark.

Jack Oliver fired the third on 75 minutes, and Kurt Matthews and Banks added further goals in the last 4 minutes.

Durham City beat Team Northumbria 3-2 at Hall Lane.

City went 2-0 up with two goals in the first 9 minutes by Brad Hird, but Team North pulled a goal back through Josh Bynoe.

Hird completed his hat-trick with 5 minutes left, with a Durham defender putting through his own goal for a late consolation.

Wednesday night`s only game saw Morpeth Town move to the top of the First Division table following an exciting 3-2 home win over Marske United.

Joe Walton’s goal of the season contender stole the show.

Adam Wheatley headed the opener on the stroke of half-time before Liam Henderson’s wonder-strike on 54 minutes.

Keith Graydon’s rasping drive put Town ahead on 79 minutes before Craig Gott restored parity with a brilliant 40-yard effort.

Goal of the season contenders weren’t done there as Walton sent Craik Park wild with a fantastic goal 4 minutes from time.


About Author

Former Swansea City and Kettering Town defender who has been managing the likes of Kettering Town u18s, Rothwell Town, Desborough Town and Wellingborough Town for 33 years as well as being technical director at AFC Rushden & Diamonds. Began in non-League journalism as editor of Team Talk magazine back in the early 1990s and then as editor of Non-League Daily, joining Pitchero to set up Pitchero Non-League in January 2011. Also works for the National League.

Comments are closed.