Pitchero ad

Rooks Return To Top Spot

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Lewes are back on top of the Bostik League South table after they beat play-off chasers Greenwich Borough and overnight leaders Cray Wanderers were beaten at home by another of the contenders, Carshalton Athletic.

Goals at either end of the game at the Dripping Pan in front of 591 proved decisive, with Charlie Coppola`s early 3rd minute opener being added to eventually by Lloyd Cotton 9 minutes from time.

Carshalton moved to within a point of Cray in fourth after triumphing 2-1 at Hayes Lane, thanks to two goals in 4 minutes midway through the second half from Jordan Cheadle and Christie Patterson after Aaron Rhule had given Cray a 51st minute lead.

Corinthian-Casuals moved level on points with Cray in third after a 2-1 success with ten-men against Chipstead at High Road.

After trailing to Leon Lalor-Dell`s 20th minute spot-kick, Casuals produced an amazing finale that saw Shaun Brown equalise in the 90th minute and Max Oldham’s terrific finish in the final minute of added time secure a late comeback win.

The gloss was taken off a little when Oldham received a second yellow card after the goal due to his celebrations and will miss the next league fixture.

Walton Casuals are now just three points behind Cray in a tight top six after winning 2-1 at home to South Park.

Youseff Bamba after 21 minutes and then, after Chris Smith had equalised on 68 minutes, Josh Kelly 15 minutes from time sealed Casuals` win.

Hythe Town are five points adrift of the top six, but kept in touch, thanks to a 3-2 win at the Pilot Field against Hastings United.

Ryan Palmer had the visitors ahead after just 8 minutes and then Darren Oldaker doubled that lead after 67 minutes.

Jack Dixon responded in the 75th minute, only for Zak Ansah to restore the Cannon`s two-goal advantage with 3 minutes to go.

Dajon Golding converted a stoppage time penalty for Hastings, the concession of which saw Henry Arnold dismissed.

Bottom side Shoreham look like needing snookers to avoid going straight back down already, but they showed there`s still life in them yet as the Mussels won 2-1 at second-bottom Molesey to reduce the deficit between them to thirteen points.

Sean Roddy`s 23rd minute opener for the Mussels was levelled by Ronald Sobowale after 67 minutes, but Andrew Mensah won it for the visitors in time added on.

Herne Bay gained revenge over Ramsgate following a 2-1 defeat back in December winning 3-1 in a scrappy, and at times a fractious, local derby which saw the visitors finish with nine-men.

Ramsgate came to Herne Bay having not won a game since they surprisingly beat Lewes 2-0 back in December 2017 and found themselves a goal down after 31 minutes through a Jake Embery penalty.

In the closing minutes of the first half, Charlie Dickens received his second card for a reckless challenge to leave the Rams with ten-men.

But they equalised immediately after the break through Alfie Paxman, only for two goals in 6 minutes shortly after the hour-mark from Danny Rumbol and Junior efosa Aikhionbare sealed Bay`s win.

Ramsgate were reduced to nine-men when Jake McKenzie scythed down McCallum in the closing minutes.

Elsewhere, Scott Day and Tom Pearson scored at either end of the game to earn visiting Whyteleafe victory at Faversham Town, while Horsham`s George Landais and Tom Tolfey outgunned Phoenix Sports` Kweku Ansah at Culver Road and Thamesmead Town beat third-bottom Ashford United 3-1 at Princes Park, thanks to a Paul Vines brace after Solomon Taiwo had given Mead a 7th minute lead – Dean Grant replying near the end.

Ten-man VCD Athletic shared a 2-2 draw at Oakwood with Guernsey, with the usually travel-sick Channel Islanders losing a 2-0 lead given to them by Dave Rihoy with Alfie Cue and Temi Eweka on target – the latter 2 minutes before receiving a second yellow card in the 88th minute.


About Author

Comments are closed.