Pitchero ad

Salford Re-Take Top Spot After Harrogate Are Held

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

The mini `beast from the east` caused the postponements of the games at Alfreton Town, Blyth Spartans, Bradford Park Avenue and York City in the Vanarama National League North on Saturday.

However, the top two did see action and swapped places again after overnight leaders Harrogate Town were held to a 1-1 draw at relegation-battling Tamworth and Salford City won by the odd goal in five at the Peninsula Stadium against play-off chasing Spennymoor Town.

Harrogate’s six-match winning run came to an end after a 1-1 draw at The Lamb.

In blustery, freezing conditions, Harrogate took the lead after 26 minutes when George Thomson’s corner found its way into the back of the net via the hands of `keeper Jack Stevens.

Just 8 minutes later though, Connor Taylor headed home the equaliser and, despite twice striking the woodwork and seeing efforts cleared off the line, the visitors couldn’t find a winner.

That allowed Salford to re-take top spot with a two-point advantage after a hard-fought victory against play-off chasing Spennymoor.

The visitors could have travelled south feeling sorry for themselves after losing to Bromley in their delayed Buildbase FA Trophy Quarter-Final last Wednesday, but, after conceding an early 5th minute lead to Carl Piergianni, equalised within 2 minutes through Nathan Lowe.

And then after 31 minutes, Ryan Hall put the Moors in front.

The Ammies though produced an excellent second half comeback to win, thanks to a brace from Tom Walker in the 67th and 75th minutes.

With the postponements, focus of attention fell on the bottom end of the table, with North Ferriby United`s 6-0 Blackwell Meadows hammering by Darlington all-but relegating the Villagers.

Five down at half-time, Ferriby played for little more than pride in the second half and they are now 24 points from safety with eight games remaining and lumbered with a minus-71 goal difference.

In front of a freezing cold crowd of 1,087 and often in a blizzard, David Syers gave the Quakers a 16th minute lead to open the floodgates.

Stephen Thompson bagged a brace in the 28th minute – from the penalty spot – and 41st minute, Reece Styche on 37 minutes and Josh Gillies right on the stroke of half-time adding the others to make it a nap hand before half-time.

The inevitable happened in the second period as the hosts took their foot off the gas, with Gillies` 69th minute second being the only other goal.

The win lifted Darlington to eleventh in the table, twelve points clear of the drop zone.

Second-bottom Gainsborough Trinity remain three points below the safety mark after going down to a 3-2 defeat at the Northolme to tenth-placed Stockport County.

Rhys Turner gave County a 16th minute lead that Nathan Jarman levelled 11 minutes later.

Three minutes after half-time, Adam Thomas restored the Hatters` lead and Jimmy Ball added a third on 66 minutes.

Nathan Stainfield`s 74th minute second for Lee Sinnott`s side gave them hope of grabbing a point, but the visitors held firm to deny them.

Fifth-bottom FC United of Manchester came back from 3-0 down to share a 4-4 draw in an amazing game at the Jakemans Stadium against a Boston United side who are still only six points above the relegation places themselves.

It looked as bleak as the weather for the visitors as Reece Thompson after 3 minutes, Jamie McGuire 5 minutes later and Ashley Hemmings from the spot on the half-hour mark have the Pilgrims their advantage.

The Red Rebels, who had not scored in their previous five league games, netted four times in the second half to stretch Boston`s winless run to four matches.

Craig Lindfield pulled the first goal back 7 minutes after the restart and Jeff King the second on 71 minutes.

But Hemmings` second made it 4-2 just 2 minutes later, only for the battling visitors to score two in the final 2 minutes from Ged Garner and Lindfield again.

Nuneaton Town`s unbeaten run of nine matches came to an end as hosts Leamington`s relegation fears eased a little after winning 1-0 at The Phillips 66 Community Stadium.

The Brakes are still only just four points off the bottom three after Matt Dodd`s 34th minute penalty conceded after a foul on Ahmed Obeng eventually proved enough.

Leamington had keeper Tony Breeden sent-off for a second yellow after the final whistle.


About Author

Comments are closed.