Pitchero ad

Silkmen Make It Four On The Spin To Lead By A Point

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Macclesfield Town made it four successive wins to lead the Vanarama National League table by a point following a 1-0 win at the Moss Rose against Ebbsfleet United.

A hard-to-beat Fleet side battled hard in front of a decent Non-League Day crowd which included Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Silkmen started the game in confident mood but weren`t able to make the breakthrough.

However, 3 minutes before half-time, they did manage to penetrate the Fleet defence when Danny Whitehead`s effort was blocked and Mitch Hancox was on hand to fire into the roof of the net.

The Silkmen survived a second half in which the visitors pushed them back for long periods, but Fleet weren`t able to find a leveller for their efforts.

Dover Athletic brought Torquay United back down to earth after their 4-0 midweek win over Maidenhead United.

The Whites are second in the table after beating Gary Owers’ Gulls 2-0 at Plainmoor.

Dover stormed into an early lead when Paul Lewis headed them in front after only 6 minutes.

Dover also hit the woodwork twice through Mitch Pinnock and former Torquay player Giancarlo Gallifuoco, but the home side were just starting to look as if they might force an equaliser when their opponents hit them on the counter attack to wrap up all three points with a Ryan Bird header in the 64th minute.

There was still the best part of half-an-hour to go, but Torquay seldom looked like saving themselves against a side who have made an impressive start to the season.

Woking won 1-0 against Dagenham & Redbridge at the Laithwaite Community Stadium, thanks to a stunning goal from Charlton Athletic loan attacker Regan Charles-Cook.

The game looked to be heading for stalemate when, 12 minutes from time, Charles-Cook got hold of the ball on the edge of the area and fired past Mark Cousins into the top corner of the net.

The victory extends the Cards’ unbeaten to six in the league and they are now third, with the Daggers dropping to fifth.

Sutton United sandwich Woking and Dagenham in the table after they won 2-1 at Gander Green Lane against AFC Fylde.

It was a case of two quickfire goals just before half-time having a crucial affect on the game.

The breakthrough came after 41 minutes when Sutton sprung the offside trap and Craig Dundas coolly slotted past Jay Lynch.

Then, almost immediately afterwards, a breakaway led by Josh Taylor saw him square the ball for Simon Grand to unfortunately put the ball past his own keeper.

And chance the Coasters had of getting back into the game seemed to disappear in the 64th minute when Lewis Montrose received a second yellow card for a poor challenge on Craig Eastmond and was dismissed.

However, the ten-men did manage to pull one back 5 minutes from time when a shot from Danny Rowe was deflected home by Grand at the right end.

But the hoste held firm for the remaining minutes to seal three points.

Bromley are sixth after winning 2-1 at managerless Gateshead.

The Heed, who lost manager Neil Aspin to Port Vale in midweek, started the game well but, despite being the dominant force in the opening 45 minutes, weren`t able to find a goal.

The second half followed a similar pattern and it came as little surprise when the hosts took the elad after 68 minutes when a fine ball from Richard Peniket was headed home from close range by Danny Johnson.

Louis Dennis missed Bromley`s best chance of the game in the 75th minute, but 8 minutes later they were back on level terms when Scott Barrow was adjudged to have brought down Jack Holland in the box, and although the home fans and players thought it had been a fair tackle, the penalty was awarded and Dennis duly equalised from the spot.

And then 3 minutes into stoppage time, an Adam Mekki cross was headed home by sub Brett Williams to win it for the visitors.

A dramatic last-gasp equaliser earned Aldershot Town a point when it looked as though hosts Maidenhead United`s 86th minute goal had won it for them at York Road.

The Shots led through Jim Kellermann after 16 minutes.

But just 3 minutes later the Magpies were back on level terms when Adrian Clifton chipped a shot over the onrushing Jake Cole from 12 yards

Three minutes before the break the Shots were back in front when a near-post cross was headed home by Adam McDonnell.

The Magpies pulled level again on 63 minutes when a long throw found Dean Inman to glance a header in off the far-post.

And 5 minutes from time it looked as though Alan Devonshire`s side had won it when the referee awarded Maidenhead a penalty for handball and Harry Pritchard drove the spot-kick past Cole.

But in stoppage time, sub James Rowe crossed, Scott Rendell battled for the ball and Jim Kellermann lashed in a shot off the post.

Adam Morgan came off the bench to earn ten-man FC Halifax Town a point as they drew 1-1 at Meadow Park against Boreham Wood.

Morgan scored Town’s first goal in nearly five hours to hand the visitors a draw.

After an awful start, which saw Bruno Andrade give Wood a 7th minute lead, The Shaymen got themselves back into the contest.

However, it wasn`t until the 81st minute that they eventually managed to find the leveller when Matty Kosylo’s shot across goal was only parried by Grant Smith and Morgan was left with a tap-in from close range to equalise.

But 4 minutes later, striker Tom Denton was dismissed for an alleged elbow on David Stephens.

Hartlepool United made it two wins in succession with a 2-1 victory at Solihull Moors.

After a quiet first half, the visitors got the second half off to the best start with a goal from Rhys Oates 2 minutes in.

Moors pulled one back from the penalty spot through skipper Darren Carter 5 minutes from time, but Craig Harrison’s men won it in stoppage time when a Jack Munns free-kick was flicked on and Jonathan Franks snatched a last-gasp winner.

A stoppage time penalty denied Maidstone United victory over strugglers Guiseley AFC at the Gallagher Stadium.

Zavon Hines’ 12th minute opener looked set to be enough for a Stones side who weren’t at their best.

But they were stunned in the 2nd minute of time added on at the end of the game when the referee pointed to the spot for a challenge by Reece Prestedge and sub Frank Mulhern scored from the resulting spot-kick.

An eventful first half saw Leyton Orient draw 2-2 at The Furness Building Society Stadium against Barrow AFC.

David Mooney gave the O’s a 19th minute lead.

Bedsente Gomis levelled 4 minutes later before Craig Clay restored the O`s lead in the 27th minute from close range.

Barrow then levelled for a second time through Jordan White 5 minutes before the interval and, despite a number of chances, neither side were able to find a winner.

Alex Lynch produced a heroic performance for Chester FC as Marcus Bignot’s new side hung on for a valuable derby point at Prenton Park against Tranmere Rovers.

Visiting keeper Lynch was in sensational form with James Norwood and Gerry McDonagh denied by a string of fine saves.

Micky Mellon’s side dominated for long periods but Chester held firm in front of a good crowd of 7,172.


About Author

Comments are closed.