Pitchero ad

South Shields March On – First Win For Ossett Albion

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Newly-promoted South Shields march on at the top of the Evo-Stik League North table following Saturday`s comfortable 4-1 win against Clitheroe at Mariners Park.

Another terrific crowd of 1,726 saw loanee Alex Newby shock the hosts by giving the visitors an early 3rd minute lead.

But once Gavin Cogdon equalised 8 minutes before the break, there looked to be only one winner.

Craig Baxter put Shields in front 3 minutes after the interval and Carl Finnigan made it 3-1 just 7 minutes later, with Cogdon`s second rounding things off on 66 minutes.

Glossop North End are a couple of points behind Shields after beating Colne FC 3-1 at home in which Ben Deegan bagged a brace in the 36th and 90th minutes after Adam Jones had given the Hillmen an early 4th minute lead that Mike Fish had cancelled out in the 27th minute.

Hyde United are the only unbeaten team left in the division, but were held to a fourth draw from their eight games.

Alex Peterson gave visitors Ossett Town an early 8th minute lead at Ewen Fields, but Matt Beadle restored parity for the Tigers in the 36th minute.

Goole AFC got off the mark last week but it was back to losing habits on Saturday as they were trounced 5-0 at Llanelian Road by Colwyn Bay, whose Danny Andrews gave them a first-minute lead.

It was 3-0 by the 12th minute, courtesy of Astley Mulholland and Will Booth, but it wasn`t until stoppage time at the end of the match that a Jamie Rainford brace took Bay to a nap hand.

And Ossett Albion became the last team in the division to break their duck when winning 2-1 at Dimple Wells against Radcliffe Borough.

A Darren Torpey own goal got Albion up and running after 17 minutes, but James Hooper`s 62nd minute equaliser looked to have earned Boro a point, until Andy Welsh won it for the home side from the spot in stoppage time.

There was quite an amazing game at Irongate between Bamber Bridge and Brighouse Town.

Five weeks ago Brig hosted Brighouse in the Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round and were trailing 2-1 until two late goals from sub Jamie Milligan got them out of jail and into the next round.

And on Saturday, Brig trailed 2-0 to goals from Gabriel Johnson after 4 minutes and Tom Haigh in the 38th minute when the fourth official indicated that there would be a minimum of 6 minutes to be added on at the end of the game.

After 2 minutes of stoppage time Dan Mooney pulled one back.

Then, in the 94th minute Brig forced a corner and Danny Forbes headed in the equaliser.

In the 6th and final minute of the time allotted, Ali Waddecar unleashed a curling shot into the far corner of the Brighouse net to record a quite amazing win and prove that lightning can strike twice!

Adam Latham gave Mossley AFC an early 4th minute lead at Seel Park against Atherton Collieries, and then newcomers were beaten when Jack Tuohy netted a second for the Lilywhites right on the stroke of half-time.

Scarborough Athletic`s good start to the season continued with a 4-1 win at managerless Skelmersdale United.

Max Wright and Mike Coulson had Boro two-up at the break and two goals in 4 minutes from Billy Logan and Coulson again just ahead of the hour-mark settled the points, with Ramirez Howarth netting an 89th minute consolation for Skem.

Droylsden were beaten 3-0 at Trafford, for whom this was only a second success of the campaign to date.

Mike Monaghan gave the hosts a 14th minute lead that Aaron Burns doubled almost straight from the restart.

Andy Keogh added a third with 3 minutes to go.

A 36th minute Tolani Omotola goal eventually proved enough for Ramsbottom United at the Harry Williams Riverside Stadium against Prescot Cables, while Tadcaster Albion triumphed 3-1 at home to Kendal Town, with Conor Sellars after 14 minutes, Tom Corner on 21 minutes and Aiden Savory 13 minutes from the end taking Taddy away after Mike Aspin had pulled the Mintcakes back into the game just after the break.


About Author

Comments are closed.