Pitchero ad

AFC Fylde Seal National League North Title

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

AFC Fylde are the Vanarama National League North champions following their 3-0 victory over Boston United at the Jakemans Stadium on Saturday.

Top scorer Danny Rowe’s brace in the 41st minute from the penalty spot and just past the hour-mark from open play and a third from Matty Hughes 16 minutes from time secured top spot for the Coasters, at the expense of rivals Kidderminster Harriers.

The Pilgrims will be glad to see the back of Dave Challinor`s side though as this was a fifth straight defeat for United at their expense, conceding 23 goals in those games!

Harriers` chances of taking the title race to the final weekend disappeared when they were held to a 1-1 draw at the Northolme by relegation battlers Gainsborough Trinity.

Although Harriers started brightly, their early threat was snuffed out and it was Gainsborough who took the lead through Nathan Jarman after 19 minutes.

Within 5 minutes of the break Harriers were level through Andre Brown, but the home rear-guard were determined to not be breached a second time as they held on for a point that could secure their place in the division as they are a point above Worcester City with just next weekend`s games to come.

Third-placed FC Halifax Town secured their play-off place by beating mid-table Curzon Ashton 3-0 at The Shay.

Richard Peniket gave the Shaymen the lead after 21 minutes and Dion Charles doubled that 9 minutes before the beak.

Danny Hone made the points and a play-off place secure with a 63rd minute third.

AFC Telford United have secured safety, despite a 1-0 defeat against Darlington 1883 at Blackwell Meadows.

A game played in a sombre mood after the events in the week was eventually settled by a 53rd minute penalty converted by Mark Beck.

But the Bucks sealed survival due to Worcester losing 2-1 to Salford City.

The Ammies took a 37th minute lead at the Victoria Ground when Mike Phenix volleyed home following a long ball into the box.

However, the visitors were reduced to ten-men right on the stroke of half-time when Jamie Poole received a second yellow card for time-wasting as he kicked the ball away.

That looked as though it was going to cost the visitors as City drew level on the hour-mark when Jordan Murphy headed in from Tom Sharpe’s pin-point cross.

But 5 minutes from time, Salford won a crucial three points when Nick Haughton slots the ball past Nathan Vaughan.

Chorley and Stockport County are the other two sides in top five contention, with the Magpies holding a two-point advantage in sixth.

They shared a 2-2 draw with tenth-placed Gloucester City at Whaddon Road, but had to play the whole second half with ten-men.

City took an early 9th minute lead when Luke Hopper scored from close range following a free kick.

Chorley were back on level terms after 21 minutes with a fine header into the bottom corner from Dale Witham.

But just 4 minutes later, Gloucester were back in front when Andy Teague conceded a penalty, and despite Christian Dibble getting a hand to the ball Hanks` effort found the net.

The Magpies suffered another blow after 34 minutes when Jack Sampson was red-carded for an alleged elbow incident.

However, right on the stroke of half-time, Matt Jansen`s side equalised when, following a free-kick, the ball hit a post and Jason Walker tapped in the rebound.

The visitors defended well with ten-men in the second half and often looked dangerous on the break, and held on for a vital point.

That became even more important after news of Stockport`s 2-0 win at the Horsfall Stadium against Bradford Park Avenue filtered through.

And the Hatters left it very late too.

It wasn`t until the 81st minute that the visitors managed to break the deadlock when Lewis Montrose had a shot cleared off the line by Matt Hill, before sub Amis struck.

And Danny Lloyd doubled County`s lead in the first minute of stoppage time when he got on the end of an Amis flick-on to net his 28th goal of the season.

Elsewhere on Saturday, Harrogate Town couldn`t end their home campaign on a high as Brackley Town recorded a fourth straight away victory.

The Saints grabbed the advantage 5 minutes before half-time through James Armson.

The visitors extended their lead 6 minutes after the break as Alex Gudger applied the finishing touch to a corner.

And although Joe Leesley’s terrific free-kick gave Town hope of a comeback just before the hour-mark, Brackley held on to their lead to claim victory.

Already-doomed Altrincham shared a 1-1 Moss Lane draw with Alfreton Town.

Alfreton took the lead in the 42nd minute when Craig Westcarr’s cross was met by Andy Monkhouse’s header past Tim Deasy.

The Robins equalised after 57 minutes, and although Shaun Densmore was announced as the scorer, the goal might well be credited to Alfreton keeper Fabien Spiess.

Stalybridge Celtic, who are also down, lost 4-0 at Bower Fold to Tamworth.

It was all over bar the shouting by the 17th minute with the Lambs leading 3-0 through Dan Newton`s quickfire brace in the 5th and 7th minutes and an effort from youngster Ben Fox.

Newton eventually completed his hat-trick in the 67th minute.

And Nuneaton Town ended their home campaign disappointingly, losing 4-1 to FC United of Manchester, who are now just a place behind Boro in thirteenth.

It was 1-1 at the break, with Sam Sheridan`s 42nd minute opener for the visitors being cancelled out by Jordan Nicholson right on half-time.

But goals from Jordan Fagbola after 57 minutes and Matt Wolfenden 4 minutes later took United into a 3-1 lead and then George Thomson finished Boro off with a fourth 16 minutes from time.


About Author

Comments are closed.