Pitchero ad

Toolstation Western League Round-Up

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

On a quiet Saturday afternoon where just five Toolstation Western League Premier Division fixtures took place, fourth-placed Buckland Athletic produced an impressive performance to win 2-1 away at fellow top-five side Bradford Town.

Bradford went ahead in the first minute through Laurent Davis-Wilson, but they went down to defeat with Richard Groves and Simon Revell scoring for the visitors before half-time.

Over in Wiltshire, Melksham Town hung on to third spot following a 3-1 win at home to Longwell Green Sports.

The home side went ahead through Dave Thompson, before the in-form Longwell Green got back on level terms just prior to half-time. However, it was Melksham who enjoyed the better of the second half, and further goals from Jake Hiscocks and Thompson handed them all three points.

Toward the bottom of the table, a 71st minute goal from Liam Henderson helped Hallen claim a 1-0 win away at Gillingham Town to move up to eighteenth in the league.

Willand Rovers claimed all three points in a seven-goal thriller against Cadbury Heath, eventually winning 4-3 at Springfield.

After Cory Simpson fired Heath ahead early on, Willand turned it around just before the break with Brett Worbey and Ryan Guppy finding the back of the net, only for Andy Campbell to head home in first half injury-time to level things up.

Ian Patchett then headed home to put the Devon side ahead once more, but as had been the case earlier in the game, Heath responded soon after going behind with Harry Paice rifling home.

Then, 5 minutes from time, Willand stole ahead for the final time, with Campbell steering a header into his own net.

In the game at St Mary’s Field, Bridport and Brislington each failed to break the deadlock in their 0-0 draw.

In the First Division at Norton Lane, Hengrove Athletic joined Wellington in claiming promotion to the Premier Division following a 3-0 win at home to Almondsbury UWE.

Hengrove started the stronger, and took a deserved lead in the 29th minute through Ben Crewe.

The home side then doubled their lead early in the second half through Mark Fear, before Luke Crewe confirmed promotion with a third in injury-time.

Wellington remain favourites for the title, however, after they claimed a 4-3 win away at Malmesbury Victoria to maintain their two-point lead at the top going into the final fixture.

Ian Bellinger scored twice for the Somerset club, with further goals from Jack Taylor and Jack Bryant.

In the stand-out result of the weekend, Warminster Town claimed a mightily impressive 7-1 win away against Oldland Abbotonians at the Aitchison Playing Field.

Mark Robinson and Jack Miluk each scored in either half to bag braces, with further goals coming from Charlie Walton, Eben Mortimer-Taylor and George Butler.

Calne Town made sure that they wouldn’t finish bottom of the league, thanks to a 4-0 win at home to Chard Town.

Steve Allison grabbed a hat-trick for the Lilywhites, with Aaron Witchell also finding the back of the net in the vital win. Cheddar consolidated third position in the league, thanks to a 3-2 win at home to Westbury United. First-half goals from Kristian Bell and George Booth had put Cheddar ahead, only to see Westbury draw level on both occasions before a Robbi Maggs strike 15 minutes from time wrapped-up the victory.

A brace from Dan Parslow was the difference between the sides as Portishead Town defeated Bishops Lydeard 2-0, while Radstock Town made it six wins on the spin with a 3-0 victory over Bishop Sutton, thanks to an own goal, plus strikes from Jack Witcombe and Tom Stocks.

In the fixture at West Clewes, Corsham Town defeated Welton Rovers 2-1 thanks to first half goals from Tom Harvey and Marcus Brown.


About Author

Comments are closed.