Pitchero ad

This Week`s Cup Action Reviewed…..

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Evo-Stik League South West side Wimborne Town won the Dorset Senior Cup for the first time for twenty-one years on a night that was a joyous celebration of football in Dorset.

Sydenhams Football League (Wessex) outfit Shaftesbury, in their first final since1960/61, played their part, but in the end were no match for the free-flowing game played by the higher-league Magpies.

Wimborne took the lead on 33 minutes when they were awarded a
free-kick 25 yards from goal, in a fairly central position and Billy Maybury rifled the ball into the bottom corner.

Five minutes later Toby Holmes hit the post, and almost immediately Shaftesbury did the same on a counter-attack. But that was the closest the Wessex League side were to come.

On 39 minutes Wimborne doubled their advantage. Paddy Hester and Luke Burbidge worked a free-kick wide on the left before Burbidge cut inside to beat keeper Dan Card from the edge of the area.

And a minute before the break, Toby Holmes’ deft footwork saw him work his way along the right by-line before scoring from an acute angle.

As Shaftesbury tired, Wimborne scored three more in the final minutes.

On 84 minutes Toby was played through on the left and, with plenty still to do, he scored with a trade-mark finish.

Five minutes later the prolific marksman bagged his fourth of the evening as he converted a hard cross/shot from the right – this was his 55th goal from 43 appearances this season!

Then Luke Holmes scored the final goal with a curler into the top corner to complete a memorable night’s work.

High-scoring Billericay Town netted five more goals as they lifted the Bostik League`s Velocity Trophy against Premier rivals Metropolitan Police at New Lodge after extra-time.

Record-breaker Jake Robinson gave the Blues a 12th minute lead that the Met turned round to lead 3-1, thanks to a Tom Bird penalty after 25 minutes and then a Jonny Wright brace on 58 and 61 minutes.

Billy Bricknell then scored twice in the last 3 minutes to send the tie into overtime.

And 6 minutes in, Bricknell completed his hat-trick and 3 minutes late Dan Waldren added Billericay`s fifth.

Billericay celebrate (NickyHayes Photos)

Evo-Stik League Premier club Stalybridge Celtic`s Jake Charles netted four times as Hallmark Security League strugglers Barnton were beaten 6-1 in the quarter-final of the Cheshire Senior Cup.

Barnton came to Bower Fold after losing to Stockport County in the previous round but were re-instated after the Hatters fielded an ineligible player.

Despite the gulf in the leagues between the two, it was Barnton who deservedly opened the scoring after 21 minutes, Owen Dursley netting at the back post to nod home unchallenged a free kick.

Celtic equalised right on half-time when a superb cross from Alex Honeyball found Connor Hughes at the corner of the box and he unleashed a curling shot that gave Callum Shuttlewood in the visiting goal no chance.

The second half saw Charles start by bringing down Hughes’s lifted ball and smashing home Celtic’s second giving them a lead they would never relinquish.

Charles went on to add goals in the 73rd, 78th, 88th and 90th minutes.

Stalybridge`s league rivals Hednesford Town faced a youthful Stoke City side looking to book a place in the Staffordshire Senior Cup final.

And they duly didso, taking the lead in the 14th minute when Danny Glover fired home at the far post from James Lawrie’s corner.

The Pitmen ensured victory on 81 minutes when Callam Mendez-Jones was brought down by Jordan Greenidge and awarded a penalty.

Glover netted from the spot to send the Pitmen through to the final at the Bet365 Stadium.

A goal from Tom Richards after 65 minutes took Leatherhead through to the final of the Surrey County Cup at Westhumble against Bostik League Premier rivals Dorking Wanderers.

Stockport Town booked their place in the final of the Cheshire Senior Cup with a 2-1 win over Hallmark Security League rivals Winsford United at the St Luke’s Barton Stadium.

With just 4 minutes on the clock, Declan Daniels broke clear but spurning his own shooting chance he crossed it for Perry Bircumshaw but with a goal looking certain goalkeeper Kyle Haslam managed to force the ball away for a corner.

One minute later Bircumshaw was presented with an easier chance but once again Haslam came the rescue. The resulting corner saw Will Foster miss at the far post.

Winsford regretted their misses on 7 minutes when Reece Skelton broke clear down the right and Aaron Dwyer scored from a narrow angle to put the Lions ahead.

Three minutes later a second goal almost came, with Matt Green having to make a smart save from Ruben Gonçalves de Abreu.

But a minute later a neat ball through was collected by Bircumshaw and this time there was no mistake as he slid the ball under the advancing Haslam and into the net.

Ben Halfacre then forced the back-pedalling Green in the Winsford goal into a smart save, before a poor back pass by the visitor’s defence saw Callum Gardner hit the post from the narrowest of angles.

The game blew up on 32 minutes when Stockport’s Aaron Dwyer and Winsford’s Dean Clarke were red carded, but the teams went into the break on level terms.

The second period opened with Winsford’s Ryan Hopper trying his luck from distance and Gardner doing likewise but neither effort troubled the goalkeeper.

Bircumshaw broke clear on 56 minutes but once again he was denied by Town keeper Haslam, who seemed to be getting every part of his body in the way of the ball.

There was another turning point on 69 minutes when Bircumshaw was brought down by Haslam and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Dead ball expert Gardner stepped up, but Haslam anticipated well and pushed the ball away.

One minute later there looked to be an even more obvious foul by Haslam but this time the man in the middle waved play on.

Town then took the lead on 75 minutes when a corner from the right was headed home by the unmarked Ben Halfacre.

Winsford still looked as though they were capable of getting something out of the game, with Hopper’s cross missing Bircumshaw’s outstretched leg by inches and Daniels putting his header wide of the target as the game moved into the closing stages.

On 90 minutes Winsford wound up a miserable evening with Scott Taylor picking up a second yellow card and he joined Clarke in the changing room, and with almost the last kick of the match, James Rothwell blasted a shot straight at Haslam.

Moments later the final whistle blew and the visitors’ celebrations began.

The Integro League Cup final will be between Evo-Stik League North surprise package Atherton Collieries and Premier side Coalville Town following semi-final wins on Thursday night.

Colls won 4-1 at Keys Park against Premier outfit Hednesford Town, breaking the deadlock 4 minutes after half-time through Jordan Cover and then going three-up through Bradley Cooke and Cover again by the 70th minute.

Danny Glover`s penalty gave the Pitmen hope 2 minutes later, but Ben Hardcastle ensured a great win for the visitors with a fourth goal in time added on.

Coalville enjoyed a good 3-2 win at Atherton Collieries` high-flying league rivals South Shields.

A crowd of 908 at Mariners Park saw Dan Creaney give the Ravens a great start with a goal inside the opening 2 minutes.

Michael Richardson equalised in the 19th minute, only for Nathan Watson to bag a brace in the 49th and 66th minutes to pull Coalville clear.

Richardson`s second of the evening on 74 minutes made for a nervy end, but it`s the higher level side who triumphed in the end.


About Author

Comments are closed.