Pitchero ad

Wood & Fleet Earn Important Away Wins

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Three games in the Vanarama National League on Tuesday night yielded no home wins.

Luke Garrard`s impressive young Boreham Wood side moved up to fifth place after a 3-2 win at one of the clubs they leap-frogged in the table, Dagenham & Redbridge.

It was 1-0 to the North London side at the break, thanks to a 12th minute goal from Bruno Andrade after a quick counter attack.

The same player eventually doubled the visitors` lead 3 minutes after the interval from the penalty spot following a foul on Kieran Murtagh.

The Daggers, who came into the match in form, reduced the deficit 7 minutes later, courtesy of a Michael Cheek header from a corner.

But just 4 minutes later, Wood extended their lead to 3-1 when Angelo Balanta fired past Mark Cousins.

The home side made it a slightly nervy final few seconds after sub Dan Sparkes had pulled a second back, but Wood held firm for three very useful points.

Maidstone United`s drop down the table continues after losing 2-1 at the Gallagher Stadium to Kent rivals Ebbsfleet United, who remain in tenth spot, but now only three points behind the top seven.

Fleet made the short journey having lost back-to-back league games themselves, so were keen to get back on track.

It was goalless at the break, but Fleet came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half and broke the deadlock just a minute in when Jack Powell took advantage of some sloppy Stones defending to beat Lee Worgan.

But the home side, looking to end a nine-game run without a win, pulled back on level terms within 8 minutes with a header from Joe Anderson.

Then, just past the hour-mark, Powell restored the visitors` lead when he got on the end of a through ball to beat Worgan and score what proved to be the winner.

Strugglers Chester FC took their improved form to Mill Farm to take on another side in decent form in AFC Fylde, who were looking to push towards the play-off places.

Marcus Bignot`s Blues had won at Ebbsfleet and drawn at Guiseley AFC in their previous two matches to lift them to within sight of the safety-mark.

Dave Challinor`s Coasters have a couple of games in hand on most around them and started the match seven points behind the top seven.

This was another game with a tight first half which ended without the scorers being troubled.

But 10 minutes after the restart, it was Fylde who broke the deadlock when, almost inevitably, top scorer Danny Rowe headed in from a corner.

Shortly before Rowe`s goal, Kingsley James had struck the crossbar at the other end, so it came as little surprise when Chester did manage to score and pull back on level terms in the 68th minute when, following good work from sub Ross Hannah, Harry White beat Jay Lynch from close range.

However, neither side were able to find a winner.


About Author

Comments are closed.