Pitchero ad

Worthing Shock Leaders – All-Square At Folkestone

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Amazingly, there were two matches in the Bostik League Premier that managed to beat the `Beast from the East` and get their games on Saturday.

Lowly Worthing hosted leaders Billericay Town at The Bibby Financial Services Stadium, while Folkestone Invicta took on second-bottom Harlow Town at The Fullicks Stadium.

In front of the biggest league crowd of the season, 1,163, Worthing rewarded all the hard work of getting the 3G pitch cleared of snow with a tremendous performance, especially in a thrilling second half.

The opening period was cagey as both sides took time to adjust to the conditions.

The first real chance of the game came after 40 minutes when Worthing`s Sam Rent`s corner seemed to be heading goalwards before Joe Kizzi headed off the line.

Then right on half-time, Billericay`s top marksman Jake Robinson volleyed an effort which Lucas Covolan threw himself in front of.

The home keeper was there again 8 minutes into the second half when he saved point-blank from Sam Deering`s free-kick.

A few minutes later, Billy Bricknell came close to breaking the deadlock for the visitors before the game burst into life with three goals in 4 minutes starting in the 71st minute

Reece Meekums and Zack Newton combined for Kieron Pamment to take a touch and drill the ball past Alan Julian to give Worthing the lead.

Three minutes later, the same two players were involved again, with Newton`s shot being saved by Julian, but Pamment chipped him from the rebound to make it 2-0.

Almost straight from the restart though, Billericay pulled one back with a header from prolific marksman Robinson.

Three minutes later, the visitors almost equalise through Deering, but his shot crashed off the bar and then Robinson tried to nab a second, but his header was just wide.

Billericay got a boost in the 90th minute when Rebels` defender Joel Colbran was sent-off for a second yellow card offence.

But it was the hosts who almost scored again a minute into stoppage time when sub Joe Clark`s header was cleared off the line by Josh Urquhart.

And then in the last few seconds, Danny Waldren`s point-blank header was saved by Covolan and the points went to the home side.

Folkestone`s groundstaff and fans worked wonders to get their game against struggling Harlow on.

Folkestone ground

Neil Cugley`s side could move into joint second spot with a win, while the Hawks are in desperate need of points as they came south just two points above bottom-markers Burgess Hill Town and without a win since January 6th.

A crowd of 475 saw a nervy first half in tricky conditions.

Harlow`s David Hughes was the first goalkeeper to be tested when he palmed a Johan Ter Horst effort round the post.

But it was the visitors who broke the deadlock a minute before half-time when top scorer Alex Read sent a delightful curling shot into the top corner from just outside the box past Tim Roberts.

The second half saw Ter Horst denied again by a great save from Hughes from close range and the custodian pulled off another fine save to prevent the former Maidstone United and Hull striker from equalising.

But on 65 minutes, Invicta did pull back on level terms when a Kieron McCann cross found Ian Draycott at the far post, and he slid in to level.

Read for Harlow and sub Sam Hasler for Invicta came closest to winning it for either side, but the spoils were shared.


About Author

Comments are closed.