Pitchero ad

Wrexham Take Over Top Spot

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

In a reduced fixture list due to the Buildbase FA Trophy, Wrexham moved to the top of the Vanarama National League with a win over Guiseley AFC at Nethermoor Park on Saturday.

It took Wrexham just 16 minutes to make the breakthrough when Chris Holroyd bagged his 13th goal of the season.

Guiseley`s recent signing, goalkeeper Luke Coddington, kept them in the game with a fine save from James Jennings.

But he could do nothing to prevent the Dragons from killing the game off 19 minutes from time when Shaun Pearson headed past him from a corner.

The defeat leaves Guiseley bottom of the table following Torquay United`s crucial 3-1 win against fellow strugglers Barrow AFC at Plainmoor which moved them two points above the Lions.

A tight opening 45 minutes saw the sides go into the break 0-0.

But within 7 minutes of the restart, Torquay broke the deadlock when Sean McGinty forced the ball home.

Just 3 minutes later, a fine goal from George Dowling saw the Gulls double their advantage.

And on 66 minutes, Luke Young tapped in a crucial third.

Byron Harrison netted a 74th minute consolation from the penalty spot for the visitors, but it wasn`t enough to prevent Torquay from achieving their first win of 2018.

A crowd of 5,183 saw Tranmere Rovers move up to fourth in the table, just a couple of points behind the leaders, after a comfortable 3-0 Prenton Park victory over mid-table Ebbsfleet United.

Rovers took a 17th minute lead with a great strike from Andy Cook from fully 20 yards past Fleet `keeper Nathan Ashmore.

It was almost 2-0 after 24 minutes when James Norwood`s effort was superbly saved by Ashmore and a clearance off the line denied Jay Harris from the rebound.

Five minutes later and Ollie Norburn had a shot cleared off the line after Norwood forced another good save from Ashmore.

But the pressure paid off in the 36th minute when, after Tranmere keeper Rhys Taylor had saved a Dave Winfield header at the other end, Norwood made it 2-0 with a fine finish.

And the points were secured after 64 minutes when Norwood was through one-on-one with Ashmore and netted to make it 3-0.

The only other game today – FC Halifax Town`s game at The Shay against Dagenham & Redbridge falling foul of the wet weather – saw AFC Fylde and Eastleigh share a 2-2 draw at Mill Farm which leaves the Coasters in ninth – a point off the play-off places – and the Spitfires in eleventh, four point adrift of their hosts.

It was the visitors who held the half-time advantage after Ryan Broom finished off a fine through ball from Andy Boyce to beat Jay Lynch in the Fylde goal after 24 minutes.

The home side eventually pulled back on level terms in the 64th minute when Zaine Francis-Angol headed in a cross from sub Henry Jones.

But just 3 minutes later, Eastleigh restored their lead with a second from Broom, chipping the ball over Lynch after a flowing move.

But an entertaining encounter saw the Coasters earn a share of the spoils with 5 minutes remaining when Jones flicked in a cross past Graham Stack from fellow sub James Hardy.


About Author

Comments are closed.