Peacocks Defeat All-But Hands Title To Bulls

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Taunton Town suffered a surprise 3-0 away defeat against Larkhall Athletic in the Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South & West on Saturday, and with runaway leaders Hereford FC returning to winning ways, the Peacocks outside chance of nicking the title is all-but over.

It all went wrong for Taunton when they had centre-back Owen Irish sent-off just before half-time.

Larkhall, beaten 10-2 at Taunton earlier this season, took advantage of the extra man to score three times in the second half through Joe Raynes with two and Greg Peel.

Taunton remain second but third-placed Tiverton Town have reduced the gap between the sides to two points after they beat fourth-placed Salisbury FC at Ladysmead in front of a crowd of 322.

Jamie Price gave Tivvy the boost of an early first-minute lead that he eventually doubled with 17 minutes remaining.

The Bulls won 4-1 at Edgar Street against North Leigh.

Another great crowd of 2,474 saw the visitors take a shock 3rd minute lead through Matt Sysum.

But the home side weren`t behind for long as top scorer John Mills levelled 7 minutes later.

Mark Preece then gave the Bulls an interval lead with a 42nd minute second, and second half goals from Pablo Haysham and a late Tristan Plummer penalty sealed a comfortable afternoon`s work for Peter Beadle`s side.

Evesham United maintained fifth spot after a 2-0 win at Bishops Cleeve.

Mark Magee 3 minutes after half-time and then Adam Mann 15 minutes from time were the United scorers.

Swindon Supermarine and Mangotsfield United remain in with a shout of a top five spot, as wins on Saturday left them five and six points respectively behind Evesham.

Supermarine won 4-1 at the WebbsWood Stadium against a Bideford AFC side who hadn`t lost in nine games, coming back from a 15th minute Ben Watson goal down to win, thanks to Brad Hooper`s penalty after 32 minutes, a Josh Parsons brace in the 37th and 84th minutes and Ryan Campbell 2 minutes later.

The Mangos won 1-0 at third-bottom AFC Totton, courtesy of a 63rd minute Liam Monelle effort.

Bridgwater Town are all-but doomed after losing 1-0 at second-bottom Wantage Town, leaving them twenty-one points behind AFC Totton with twenty-one points only on offer.

Todd Hatherway`s 39th minute goal proved decisive for the Alfredians, who are still fourteen points adrift themselves.

Elsewhere, Will Morford bagged a brace in the 73rd and 83rd minutes – the second from the spot – as Shortwood United won 2-1 at Wimborne Town, for whom Billy Maybury had given them an 18th minute lead.

Slimbridge`s Lee Smith was another two-goal man as his 32nd and 76th minute strikes saw off Paulton Rovers at home, while James Blake`s spot-kick and Lee Francis 10 minutes from time proved enough for Barnstaple Town at home against Didcot Town, whose Adam Learoyd replied 20 minutes from time.


About Author

Former Swansea City and Kettering Town defender who has been managing the likes of Kettering Town u18s, Rothwell Town, Desborough Town and Wellingborough Town for 33 years as well as being technical director at AFC Rushden & Diamonds. Began in non-League journalism as editor of Team Talk magazine back in the early 1990s and then as editor of Non-League Daily, joining Pitchero to set up Pitchero Non-League in January 2011. Also works for the National League.

Comments are closed.