Toolstation Western League Round-Up

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Bristol Manor Farm continue to march towards to the Toolstation Western League Premier Division title following a 4-1 win at home to the in-form Bradford Town on Saturday.

It took the home side 26 minutes before they went ahead as Dean Stamp opened the scoring, with Troy Simpson doubling the advantage 6 minutes later.

Pete Sheppard smashed home a third, with Harley Purnell completing the scoring in injury-time after Bradford had clawed a goal back.

Ten points behind in second are Street, and they got back to winning ways with a 3-1 triumph away at Clevedon Town.

Dale Hunt handed the visitors control of the game by scoring twice in the opening 25 minutes as they looked to get back to winning ways.

Clevedon got back into the game just prior to the hour-mark through Kye Mountford, and, despite losing Craig Herrod to a red-card, Street wrapped-up the win with Henry Foster heading home late on.

In a frantic match at Homers Heath, Buckland Athletic’s Jared Lewington struck twice in the final 15 minutes to help his side to a 3-2 win over Chipping Sodbury Town.

Buckland led at the break, thanks to an early goal from Charlie Johansen, yet they found themselves behind at the hour-mark after a quick-fire double from Joe White and Dave Sims put the visitors in front.

Lewington then scored his first of the afternoon 15 minutes from time, before Buckland’s Simon Revell looked to have blown his side’s chance of victory after seeing his penalty effort saved by opposition keeper Tim Griffiths. However, Griffiths was beaten 3 minutes later by Lewington once more as Athletic secured their first league win in the month of March.

Gary Higdon’s 25th league goal of the season saw Melksham Town defeat Cribbs 1-0, while basement dwellers Sherborne Town lost 5-0 to Odd Down who had Dave Gould, Ben Wych, Jon Sage, Kye Simpson and Jack Knight to thank for their goals.

Bridport struck late to salvage a 2-2 draw with Wells City.

With the visitors two goals ahead through Leon Britton and George Carey, Bridport got back into contention midway through the second half, thanks to Ed Butcher before Leigh Bailey struck in stoppage time to claim a point.

At Silver Street, Fletcher Williams’ goal was the difference between the sides as Willand Rovers defeated Brislington 1-0, while Bitton picked up a huge 3-1 win over relegation rivals Hallen with recent signing Josh Morgan-Williams scoring twice and Callum Baker then making it 3-0 before Aaron Anglin got a goal back for the visitors.

In the First Division, Asa White struck a hat-trick as Hengrove Athletic defeated Calne Town 6-0 at Norton Lane to move up to third in the table.

White broke the deadlock in the 8th minute, before adding goals in the 50th and 57th minutes to give his side complete control, with Craig White, Jack Fillingham and Rhys Hickery completing the rout.

Table-topping Wellington backed-up their midweek victory with a comfortable 3-0 win at home to Wincanton Town, thanks to goals from Jack Taylor, Conor Bryant and Jack Bryant.

Keynsham Town held onto second spot following a 4-2 win away at Bishops Lydeard.

Ben Harris put Keynsham ahead before the home side levelled through Ryan Brereton.

Matt Brown’s strike just after the break saw Keynsham retake the lead, with an own goal then extending their advantage, before Zac Ryder set up an exciting final 20 minutes after tapping home.

However, 5 minutes from time, the K’s made sure of the victory with Brown scoring his second of the afternoon.

A hat-trick from Sam Thomas helped Ashton & Backwell United to a 4-2 win over Cheddar at the Lancer Scott Stadium.

Cheddar were ahead at the break following goals from Adam Jones and Callum Ham, but they couldn’t hold on, and Thomas’ triumvirate of goals, plus a strike from Sam Skidmore saw the home side claim victory.

Ben Pring completed an unusual feat during Chippenham Park’s 3-1 win over Corsham Town at the Southbank Ground.

Having scored a hat-trick in the corresponding fixture for Corsham last season, Pring struck a treble for his new side as they made it six wins on the bounce.

There was also a hat-trick in the game at the Southfields Rec, where Simon Millard scored all three of his sides goals in Radstock Town’s 3-1 win over Oldland Abbotonians.

Jon Bazley and Sam Parker were on the scoresheet at the Flying Monk Ground as Malmesbury Victoria defeated Portishead Town 2-0, while a brace from Kris Douglas plus a goal from Ken Oni saw Roman Glass St George defeat Bishop Sutton 3-0 for their fifth win in six fixtures.

At Nursteed Road, two goals in the space of 3 second half minutes from Jamie Jordan saw Westbury United claim a 2-0 win away at Devizes Town, while Welton Rovers drew 0-0 with Chard Town.

At the bottom, Almondsbury UWE kept alive hopes of pulling off the incredible escape, with Jordan Yeo scoring twice in their 2-1 win against Warminster Town who had Mark Robinson to thank for their goal.


About Author

Former Swansea City and Kettering Town defender who has been managing the likes of Kettering Town u18s, Rothwell Town, Desborough Town and Wellingborough Town for 33 years as well as being technical director at AFC Rushden & Diamonds. Began in non-League journalism as editor of Team Talk magazine back in the early 1990s and then as editor of Non-League Daily, joining Pitchero to set up Pitchero Non-League in January 2011. Also works for the National League.

Comments are closed.