Twenty Games Unbeaten For Chippenham As Leamington Hit Five

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Chippenham Town made it twenty matches unbeaten and they lead the Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division table by four points from a Leamington outfit who made it nine games without defeat on Saturday.

Chippenham beat fifth-placed Merthyr Town 3-1 at Hardenhuish Park in front of a good crowd of 723.

They saw a goalless first period before David Pratt put the home side in front just 3 minutes after the restart.

Then a brace of Jake Andrews penalties in the 73rd and 91st minutes, sandwiched by an 84th minute Jack Compton reply, sealed the Bluebirds win.

The Brakes hammered Dunstable Town 5-0 at the New Windmill Ground, taking a 3-0 interval lead with goals from Courtney Baker-Richardson after 14 minutes, a Gideon Okito own goal 3 minutes later and Rob Thompson-Brown`s spot-kick in the 25th minute.

Jack Edwards added a fourth in the 54th minute and Richard Taundry rounded things off 13 minutes from time.

Slough Town remain in third spot, four points behind Leamington, after winning 4-1 at Arbour Park against bottom side Cinderford Town in front of 626.

Warren Harris after 23 minutes and Gavin James right on the whistle, gave the Rebels a two-goal interval lead.

Chris Flood added a third 6 minutes into the second period and, after Jarred Welch`s 65th minute penalty reply, James` second made it 4-1 with 19 minutes remaining.

Hitchin Town are fourth after winning 2-1 at Redditch United.

Brett Donnelly bagged a brace for the Canaries in the 40th and 78th minutes, Dior Angus having replied for the Reds after 65 minutes.

Banbury United are realistically the only other play-off contender after Frome Town failed to beat Kettering Town at home.

The Puritans won 4-0 at the Meadow against managerless Chesham United, thanks to a Ricky Johnson brace in the 25th and 75th minutes, sandwiched by a Luke Carnell effort on 29 minutes and tailed by a Sam Humphreys goal in the first minute of stoppage time.

Frome and Kettering shared six goals, with the Somerset hosts taking a first minute lead through James Fitzgibbon.

Aaron O`Connor levelled 17 minutes later, only for Fitzgibbon to net a second on 33 minutes.

James Brighton took the Poppies into the break on level terms with a 40th minute second and then a Jordan Walker own goal took them in front for the first time on 58 minutes.

But 10 minutes later Ollie Knight equalised to earn Frome a draw, but leave them nine points adrift of the top five.

It proved to be a good day for Cirencester Town in the battle to stay up.

They won 2-1 at home to fellow strugglers St Neots Town to drag the Saints back towards danger and leave the home side four points adrift of the safety-mark.

In-demand Jevani Brown put the Saints ahead after 23 minutes, but that lasted barely 5 minutes as Alan Griffin equalised.

Ellison Dunton`s 35th minute second for Ciren proved to be a winner.

Cirencester moved above Hayes & Yeading United, who suffered a 6-0 hammering at the Carlsberg Stadium to Biggleswade Town.

And it saw Rhys Hoenes complete a hat-trick of penalties, including a 16th minute opener which was the only score at the break.

Tony Burnett bagged a brace and Craig Daniel the other in a damaging defeat for the strugglers.

Second-bottom Cambridge City also lost, 2-0 at the Bob Lucas Stadium to Weymouth, for whom Aaron Rodrigues after 32 minutes and Calvin Brooks just before the hour-mark were the targetmen.

Kings Langley remain just above the drop zone, four points in front of Cirencester, after losing 3-1 at home to Stratford Town.

Ed Ahenkorah bagged a brace for the visitors in the 37th minute from the spot and 43rd minute.

Dean Hitchcock reduced the deficit on 66 minutes, but a goal 5 minutes into stoppage time by Mike Taylor sealed the visitors` win.

Chris Ward broke the deadlock at The Walks to give King`s Lynn Town a 51st minute lead against Basingstoke Town.

Aaron Jarvis equalised 14 minutes later, only for Tom Ward to restore the hosts` lead less than 3 minutes later.

Ben Seymour-Shove scored the only goal of the game after just 8 minutes to earn St Ives Town the points at home to Dorchester Town in the day`s other game.


About Author

Former Swansea City and Kettering Town defender who has been managing the likes of Kettering Town u18s, Rothwell Town, Desborough Town and Wellingborough Town for 33 years as well as being technical director at AFC Rushden & Diamonds. Began in non-League journalism as editor of Team Talk magazine back in the early 1990s and then as editor of Non-League Daily, joining Pitchero to set up Pitchero Non-League in January 2011. Also works for the National League.

Comments are closed.