Pitchero ad

Boro Move Into Third Spot

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Due to the FA Cup, there were only a handful of matches in the Vanarama National League North on Saturday.

Nuneaton Town were the highest-placed team in action and they moved into third spot with a 4-2 win at Keys Park against Hednesford Town.

The visitors were quick out of the blocks and were rewarded for their assured start with the opening goal by Billy Daniels – his first for Boro – in just the 6th minute.

Hednesford started to come back into the match but were stunned by a second Boro goal scored by skipper Shane Byrne from a corner from Callum Chettle

But the home side came out with their tails up after the break and that 2-0 lead was soon cancelled out as two goals in quick succession before the hour mark levelled things up.

First, on 58 minutes, debutant Danico Johnson managed to get his foot to a ball in the box, sliding it past Jordan Smith in the process to halve the deficit.

Then, just 3 minutes later, former Boro man Kyle Perry drew the sides level with a header.

But, out of the blue, Boro found themselves back in front on 66 minutes, Rob Duffy winning a penalty, and then getting up to convert it himself, putting Nuneaton back in the lead.

And in the final minute, Duffy scored his second spot-kick of the game but there was still time for another ex-Nuneaton man, Phil Trainer, to get sent-off for a second booking in the awarding of the penalty.

Stockport County moved into the top five with a 2-0 win at Edgeley Park against Bradford Park Avenue.

Another terrific crowd of 3,234 saw the breakthrough finally arrive 7 minutes into the second half when Micah Evans headed home after good work from Kayode Odejayi.

And the killer second goal came after 67 minutes with a fine strike from Modou Cham following excellent work by Evans.

Tamworth are sixth after a comfortable 4-0 win at Crown Meadow against Lowestoft Town.

Leon Mettam gave the Lambs a 15th minute lead that Danny Newton doubled after 37 minutes and then swiftly made it 3-0 just 3 minutes later.

Recent recruit Danny Racchi added the visitors` fourth 4 minutes into the second period.

Boston United are seventh after goals from Carl Piergianni and Dayle Southwell saw them fight back from 2-0 down to salvage a draw against ten-man strugglers AFC Telford United.

The Pilgrims were punished by a lacklustre first half display by long-range strikes from Robert Paratore after 7 minutes and Dave Hibbert after 36 minutes.

However, the Pilgrims were given hope when Jake Hibbs was dismissed after collecting his second booking in the 56th minute – and from the resulting free-kick Pierginanni headed the Pilgrims back into the game.

Southwell then made it 2-2 on 67 minutes with a typically lethal finish – his 10th goal of the season.

A first away win of the season for Curzon Ashton at Steel Park against second-bottom Corby Town saw the Nash move into ninth spot.

The visitors took a 17th minute lead with a free header for Niall Cummins at the back post.

And they doubled their lead 4 minutes before the break, Cummins again the scorer.

Five minutes after half-time it was virtually game over when Curzon Ashton made it 3-0, Corby failing to clear a corner and it was turned in by Matty Warburton

Seven minutes from time Warburton was again on hand to add the Nash`s fourth.


About Author

Comments are closed.