Pitchero ad

FA Cup Preliminary Round Review (Part 1)

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Part one of a round-up of Saturday`s FA Cup ties.

The FA Cup dream is over for another year for the Isle of Wight’s senior sides, after Newport (IoW) and Cowes Sports were knocked out.

Newport lost 2-0 at home to Sydenhams Football League (Wessex) rivals Fareham Town, a side level on points with them in the Premier Division.

Fareham dominated from the outset and took complete control following the sending-off of Tom Scovell midway through the first half.

They would have score more had it not been for a superb performance from Port goalkeeper Cameron Farley.

Cowes Sports, meanwhile, came agonisingly close to causing a real upset at Calor League Southern Division One South & West Yate Town, but lost 2-1 with an 86th minute goal.

Lee Davies had put the side ahead in the first half but Yate equalised in the second, and then won at the death.

Kettering Town went out at home to Evo-Stik Northern Premier League First Division South side Gresley FC at Latimer Park.

It proved to be a fairly even first half with few chances at either end as Rob Spencer blasted wide for the visitors while Jake Newman glanced a header wide for Kettering.

But it was Gresley who went in front 3 minutes before half-time. Eric Graves was released on the right and his cross was met by Royce Turville who beat Michael Quirke to the ball and finished into an empty net.

Kettering went close early in the second half when Jonathon Thorpe’s shot was brilliantly tipped over by Ross Etheridge.

But Gresley grabbed their second when Rob Spencer stabbed into an empty net after Michael Quirke’s poor clearance was knocked back to the Gresley striker.

The Poppies rarely threatened after that and could have no complaints as they went out.

It was a decent day all-round for NPL clubs against outside opposition.

The only `shocks` came at Dimple Wells, where First Division North side Ossett Albion were dumped out by North West Counties visitors Runcorn Linnets, for whom veteran Gavin Salmon, Antony Hickey and Mark Houghton were on the mark, and Albion`s league rivals Goole AFC, beaten 2-0 at home by Ebac Northern Leaguers Bishop Auckland, for whom Danny Brunskill and Luke Bythway from the penalty spot were second half scorers, while Bishops` league rivals Crook Town ousted Kendal Town on their own patch 4-2, coming back from a Jordan Connerton goal down to win, thanks to Warren Byrne, Alex Marshall, Robbie Bird and Richie Hodgson.

Other internal ties saw Coalville Town hammer First Division South rivals Lincoln United 7-1 at Owen Street with Jack McGovern bagging a brace, Lancaster City won 3-1 at Throstle Nest against First Division North rivals Farsley AFC with Tom Kilifin, Andy Jackson and Ryan Elderton outgunning Rob O`Brien, and Kidsgrove Athletic won 3-1 at Market Drayton Town – Tom Unwin netting twice – and Padiham won the Lancashire derby 3-1 at home against Clitheroe, courtesy of goals from from Kieron Pickup, Ben Allen and Tom Bradley, and Sutton Coldfield Town edged out Bedworth United at Coles Lane with a goal right on half-time by Craig Marshall.

Guernsey FC booked their place in the next round with a 3-1 victory over Ryman League Division One South rivals Crawley Down Gatwick.

Guernsey raced into a 2-0 lead with two goals in the opening 8 minutes from Matt Loaring and Marc McGrath.

A penalty from Ashley Robinson put the host back in the game before striker Ross Allen sealed victory for the Green Lions.

Four ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League clubs booked places with Preliminary Round victories.

Cup newcomers AFC Rushden & Diamonds caused an upset and progressed with a 2-1 win at Southern Division One Central side Northwood, thanks to first half goals from Alfie Taylor and Matt Gearing, earning a trip to Spartan South Midlands Leaguers Cockfosters in the next round.

Spalding United breezed past league rivals and neighbours Holbeach United 4-0 at the Halley Stewart Field with Andy Tidswell scoring twice against his old club, a Leigh Overton own goal and Lee Beeson free-kick completing the scoring as the Tulips booked a home tie with Thurlow Nunn Leaguers Gorleston.

Sleaford Town and Huntingdon will meet in the First Qualifying Round at Eslaforde Park. Both won their Preliminary Round ties 2-0, Sleaford seeing off Thurlow Nunn side Godmanchester Rovers with goals in the last 12 minutes from Adam Weston and Scott Coupland, while Huntingdon went through at another Eastern Counties outfit, Swaffham Town, with a goal in each half from Curtis Fulcher and Ben Seymour-Shove.

Division One side Northampton Spencer live to fight another day after securing a good 3-3 draw at Southern Division One Central outfit Royston Town.

The Millers trailed three times but battled back on each occasion through Luke Bartley and two-goal Paul Pickering, and will hope to make home advantage count in Tuesday’s replay.

It was the end of the line against higher grade opponents for Boston Town, who exited 3-1 to Thurlow Nunn side Dereham Town, Ian Dunn scoring a penalty for the Poachers after Liam Nimmo had missed an earlier spot-kick, and Peterborough Northern Star who lost 4-2 at home to Ryman Division One North Wroxham, falling four goals in arrears before a Billy Smith penalty and Jacob Joyce effort cut the deficit.

Desborough Town lost 4-2 at home to Midland Alliance outfit Loughborough University, Paul Caswell and Michael Byrne on target for Ar Tarn, while Newport Pagnell Town exited 2-1 at Spartan South Midlands side Kings Langley after taking an early lead through Dean Buss.

Three became one this afternoon as only Plymouth Parkway will carry the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League flag in this season`s FA Cup.

Parkway had a great 4-1 win at home to Toolstation Western League Premier Division side Ilfracombe Town which sets them up with an away tie at Southern League Clevedon Town in a fortnight`s time.

Parkway also pocket £1,925 in prize money to go with the £1,500 from the last round.

Two sides went out though with Bodmin Town going down 3-2 away at Western League Division One outfit Wells City, whilst St Blazey exited after a 4-0 reversal away at Western Premier side Brislington.

Whyteleafe are Saturday’s only Southern Counties East League representatives in the First Qualifying Round, having won 2-0 at Croydon.

There was no score by half-time and it was `Leafe’s Roscoe D`Sane who broke the duck in the 55th minute.

Half-an-hour later and with just 5 minutes left on the watch Gareth Williams added the second to give `Leafe a home tie against Horley Town, who won 5-3 at home to Holmesdale.

Deal Town’s ended up 4-2 losers at Ryman South side Merstham.

The home side raced into a 2-0 half-time lead with goals from Greg Edwards and Sam Tucknott. They went further ahead when Tommy Hutchinson added the third on 53 minutes.

Steve Hanson started a gallant comeback on 66 minutes then Charlie Walsh gave the visitors real hope in the 76th minute.

All Deal hopes were dashed, however, when Joel Holland made sure for Merstham with 7 minutes left.

Holmesdale’s cup run came to a sudden halt when they lost 5-3 at Spartan South Midlands Leaguers Horley Town.

The Dalers went 2-0 up, thanks to a brace from Nathan Wauters but then David Heaton and Matt Rendell each scored for Horley to make it 2-2 at half-time.

Two minutes into the second half Ashley Nadasan scored his first and Horley’s third. He doubled his tally 5 minutes later then Steve Strotten pulled one back for the visitors. Nadasan completed his hat-trick in the 75th minute and Holmesdale were out.

Corinthian lost by a single goal to nil away to Ryman South outfit Eastbourne Town. Sasha Mbaye got the Eastbourne winner on the hour-mark.

Erith Town ended this year`s cup run with a 3-0 defeat at Ryman South side Corinthian-Casuals.

No goals in the first half but then, in the second period, Casuals showed their superiority. Joel Thompson, Jamis Byatt and Chris Watney were the Casuals scorers.

Ashford United were 2-0 down at half-time after Tom Mcreadie and Josh Jones each scored for Peacehaven & Telscombe of the Ryman South.

Mcreadie completed his hat-trick in the second half and the Wembley dream was over for Ashford.

Tunbridge Wells are still in with a shout after their goalless draw at home to Ryman South Whitstable Town.

This was the highest attended (414) of all the SCEFL preliminary round ties. The eventual winners will play away to Ryman South Eastbourne Town.

Cray Valley lost 2-0 at home to Ryman South new-boys Redhill.

Gavin Gordon put the visitors ahead after 25 minutes but it wasn’t until the final minute that Redhill made sure through Chris Gregson.


About Author

Comments are closed.