Pitchero ad

Rogers Claims Prize Scalp

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

After a Bank Holiday weekend win over one of the title-favourites Wisbech Town, Huntingdon Town claimed another….

….prize scalp as they condemned AFC Rushden & Diamonds to a first defeat in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division on Wednesday night.

Ben Seymour-Shove was off target with an early shot on the turn but the best opening in the opening quarter-of-an-hour fell to Russ Dunkley. He latched on to a great ball by Sam Brown but home keeper Tim Trebes saved with his legs.

Former King`s Lynn Town and Long Buckby striker Dunkley then sent a towering header over from a Brown centre before a Declan Rogers run set up Curtis Fulcher to send a cross shot wide of the target.

A short back pass from Steve Owens was intercepted by Dunkley but Trebes again came to his side’s rescue with the save. Dunkley was then thwarted by a goalline clearance after meeting Matt Gearing’s corner with a far post header.

Tom Cross in the visiting goal was well placed to save as Charlie De’ath headed goalward from Ollie Medwynter’s long throw, while Town missed another opportunity when Cross’ weak clearance fell to Jamie Graham who was crowded out before he could shoot.
The vital goal arrived after 59 minutes, ex-St Ives Town and St Neots Town forward Rogers glancing in another massive Medwynter throw with Cross stranded.

Diamonds’ own long throw specialist Joe Merrill almost created a leveller for Diamonds but Dunkley’s header was too high.

Huntingdon’s solid defence gave the visitors few chances to get back in the game in the second period.

New-look Holbeach United continued their good start with this success at Chestnut Avenue.

Holbeach took a two-goal first half lead with Tom Waumsley slotting home the 14th minute opener after Tom Sergeant rounded home keeper Lee Crockett.

Ten minutes later Lewis Sturman headed a second from a Liam Ogden set piece.

Luke Hunnings put Star back in the contest after 66 minutes after Leigh Overton failed to get any distance on his attempted punch clear.

Nick Davey levelled on 79 minutes, converting a Billy Smith pass.

Star’s fight back proved in vain though as Luke Hollingworth hooked home the Holbeach winner 3 minutes into added time.


About Author

Comments are closed.