Pitchero ad

Shaw Lane Return to Top Spot

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Shaw Lane AFC returned to the top of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League First Division South table on Saturday on goal difference after recording a 3-1 home win over Market Drayton Town.

Goals from Spencer Harris after 37 minutes, Jack Tuohy 5 minutes after the break and from Alex Byrne on 82 minutes, sealed Shaw Lane`s win, with Simon Gregory netting a late consolation for the visitors.

Overnight leaders Spalding United were held to a goalless draw at the Sir Halley Stewart Field by mid-table Kidsgrove Athletic.

Leek Town are third after Tim Grice`s 70th minute strike eventually proved enough at Harrison Park against Sheffield FC, but Newcastle Town in fourth suffered a defeat by the same scoreline at Bracken Moor by a now tenth-placed Stocksbridge Park Steels outfit, for whom Josh Meade grabbed the winner 15 minutes from time.

Basford United could have gone level on points with fifth-placed AFC Rushden & Diamonds, who were without a game, had they beaten Bedworth United at home.

But they had to make do with a point from a 3-3 thriller in which Kieran Wells netted a hat-trick for Basford as they led 3-1 with 13 minutes to go – Dan Creaney having scored the Greenbacks goal.

But Iyseden Christie and then Luke Rowe earned the visitors a late share of the points.

Witton Albion, with games in hand on all above them, are just a point behind Basford and three of the top five after a 3-1 Wincham Park win over Gresley FC in which Tolani Omotola and Bradley Bauress had the home side two-up by the 5th minute!

Reece Morris pulled one back right on half-time, but a second for Bauress late on sealed victory.

Bottom side Rugby Town earned a point from a 2-2 draw at Butlin Road against Chasetown, who led 2-0 with goals from Mitch Piggon on the half-hour mark and Jack Langston 4 minutes after the break.

Levi Rowley began Valley`s recovery on the hour-mark and David Kolodynski earned a valuable point 4 minutes from time.

But to Rugby`s disappointment, they returned to the dressing room to discover that second-bottom Loughborough Dynamo had won for the first time in eleven games, beating another struggler, Northwich Victoria, 3-2 after also trailing 2-0 through Drew Matthews and Yaw Gyimah at half-time.

Karl Demidh`s 72nd minute penalty gave the home side hope and then he equalised 5 minutes later, with the winner coming 2 minutes later from Jack Andrews.

And third-bottom Carlton Town also picked up a useful point from a 1-1 draw at Coles Lane against Romulus, whose Nathaniel Waite cancelled out Kieran Walker`s early 5th minute opener in the 69th minute from the spot.

Stamford AFC pulled themselves well clear of the drop zone after a 2-0 away win at Christchurch Meadow against Belper Town, with Delroy Gordon on 55 minutes and Jack Duffy 18 minutes from time being the Daniels scorers.


About Author

Former Swansea City and Kettering Town defender who has been managing the likes of Kettering Town u18s, Rothwell Town, Desborough Town and Wellingborough Town for 33 years as well as being technical director at AFC Rushden & Diamonds. Began in non-League journalism as editor of Team Talk magazine back in the early 1990s and then as editor of Non-League Daily, joining Pitchero to set up Pitchero Non-League in January 2011. Also works for the National League.

Comments are closed.