Pitchero ad

This Week`s Cup Action Reviewed….

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division champions Cleethorpes Town will be hoping to complete the `triple` at Wembley Stadium on May 21st after clinching the Lincolnshire Senior Trophy on Wednesday night.

Already crowned title-winners, Clee beat ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division outfit Deeping Rangers 1-0 at Lincoln City`s Sincil Bank.

The only goal of a tight game came from Brody Robertson after 18 minutes.

Cleethorpes will now be looking to complete a superb season by winning the Buildbase FA Vase.

Evo-Stik Northern Premier League First Division North side Bamber Bridge caused a surprise in winning the Integro League Cup against NPL Premier Division outfit Grantham Town.

Brig lifted the trophy for the second time in their history with a 2-1 victory at Leek Town’s Harrison Park.

After winning the NPL’s cup competition for the first time in 1995 with a 2-1 win over Bishop Auckland, Jamie Milligan put Neil Reynolds’ side ahead on the stroke of half-time before Regan Linney extended their advantage on 57 minutes, Danny Meadows replying for the valiant Gingerbreads 6 minutes later.

Grantham`s league rivals Frickley Athletic may still be trying to get over the disappointment of being relegated from the NPL Premier Division, but they pushed First Division South champions Shaw Lane AFC all the way in the Sheffield & Hallam Senior Cup final at Sheffield United`s Bramall Lane (see separate report).

Ryman League Premier Division club Dulwich Hamlet threw away a two-goal lead as Southern Counties East League side Cray Valley PM booked a place in the London Senior Cup final.

Dumebi Dumaka after 17 minutes and Dipo Akinyemi on the half-hour mark had Hamlet in comman.

But the `shock` outcome came in the final 16 minutes when the lower league side scored through Taylor McDonagh, Ben Francis and then, 3 minutes into stoppage time, Aaron Rhule.

Brimscombe & Thrupp rounded off their season with a disappointing extra-time loss to Highworth Town in the Bluefin Sport Challenge Cup semi-final.

Ed Major found Ben Deakin at the back post who leapt up high to meet the ball and header it home 30 seconds in.

Highworth then pounced on a bad back pass and slotted it away into the open goal.

There were plenty of chances in the first 45 minutes but no-one could convert meaning the teams went in level at the break.

In the second half things got a little scrappy for both teams. Sam Blackie made a cameo as well as Tom Black.

Alex Parrott’s superbly hit strike found its way in to the net 20 minutes from time.

Highworth found themselves level again when the ball took a huge deflection off of Ed Major and away from Adam Thomas giving the fans another 30 minutes of football.

Both teams pushed to find themselves a winner but it came in the 107th minute when Nathan Gambling found the net.

Northern Premier League Premier Division club Stafford Rangers came from behind to beat NPL First Division South side Chasetown and will meet Walsall in the final of the Walsall Senior Cup on May 2nd.

Chasetown made a dream start with a goal after 5 minutes. Rhys Thompson was fouled just outside the area and Jack Langston curled a free kick beyond the grasp of Adam Whitehouse – his 25th goal of the season.

The Scholars were very much in the ascendency and James Dance tested Whitehouse who dived full stretch to palm aside for a corner.

The home side almost made it 2-0 in the 25th minute. Langston’s free-kick was parried by Whitehouse and the rebound fell straight to Mitch Piggon but the ball looped up off the striker agonisingly over the crossbar.

Just after the half-hour mark Rangers equalised against the run of play with their first attempt as Kris Taylor shot from the angle of the box beyond the reach of Curtis Pond.

On the hour-mark, Joe Thomas attacked the visitors with a powerful run only to be clipped 20 yards out. Langston’s kick was drilled through the wall but Whitehouse was straight behind the ball.

Substitute Peter Till almost carved open the Rangers defence chipping up to the far post where Liam Holt’s far post header was straight at the keeper.

Stafford took the lead in the 70th minute catching the hosts on the break and former Chase striker Kyle Perry seized on a short pass to fire past Pond.


About Author

Comments are closed.