Pitchero ad

This Week`s Cup Action Reviewed

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

There was an extraordinary outcome to the Alan Turvey Trophy final on Wednesday night as Billericay Town triumphed 8-3 against Ryman League Premier Diuvision rivals Tonbridge Angels.

Billy Bricknell scored a 16-minute hat-trick as Billericay came from behind to win an extraordinary match.

The game was played at a breakneck speed, and despite the amount of goals, it was the amount of missed chances that was equally astonishing.

Adam Cunnington scored twice, with Jake Robinson, Byron Lawrence and Kreshnic Krasniqi also on the scoresheet as Town won the competition for the first time in their history.

A disappointed Angels boss Steve McKimm said afterwards: “What this showed was that some of these players` don`t want to be at this club next season, and others I don’t want here.

“People can debate whether I got my starting selection right but I dont believe it would have made any difference – for all sorts of reasons this is not as strong a dressing room as this time last season and I’m not talking about the injuries. I will pick a squad for Saturday’s game against AFC Sudbury and we will see who really wants to play for this club going forward.”

Billericay`s league rivals Metropolitan Police, meanwhile, are through to the London County Cup final after edging past Ryman Division One North play-off chasers Haringey Borough by the odd goal in five at Imber Court.

Ryan James bagged a brace for the Met.

Evo-Stik Northern Premier League First Division North leaders Farsley Celtic were crowned West Riding County Cup Champions after winning 4-2 on penalties against league rivals Tadcaster Albion.

The contest ended 1-1 after 90 minutes with both goals scored in the first half.

Richard Marshall’s powerful penalty was cancelled out soon after by a stunning strike from Carl Stewart.

Both sides failed to score a crucial second goal in the second 45 minutes which led to the final being decided by a penalty shoot-out.

Tom Corner and Josh Grant both missed spot-kicks for the Brewers and substitute Paul Walker netted the decisive penalty for Celtic.

NPL Premier Division side Hednesford Town suffered an evening to forget as they were comprehensively beaten by NPL First Division South outfit Chasetown in the semi-finals of the Staffordshire Senior Cup.

After an even spell in the game it was Chasetown who struck first in the 23rd minute when Jack Langston flicked the ball on to Ryan Wynter who was able to smash the ball home past Dan Crane.

The Scholars went close again in the 28th minute before they added a second goal 2 minutes before the half-time whistle when Joe Thomas managed to squeeze the ball into the net from inside the box.

Things got even better for Chasetown in the 57th minute as they added a third goal when Langston’s free-kick took a deflection and beat Crane.

Hednesford desperately looked for a way back into the game and although Tom Thorley saw a long-range effort saved and Tony Clarke fired another effort over the bar they rarely tested Curtis Pond in the Chasetown goal.

Instead it was the Scholars who would strike again as James Dance added a fourth goal in the 90th minute to help send his side into the final.

Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division side Kettering Town held their nerve to ensure end their season will end with silverware after coming from behind to beat NPL Premier Division strugglers Corby Town in the final of the Northants FA Hillier Senior Cup.

The Poppies left Northampton Town’s Sixfields Stadium on Tuesday night with the cup after being made to battle all the way by a Steelmen outfit battling relegation and keen to impress a new caretaker-manager Steve Kinniburgh in his first game at the helm.

Kettering manager Marcus Law, who urged his players to “put some positivity out there” before kick-off, saw them leave it late, Aaron O’Connor netting 7 minutes from time after ex-Poppy Jason Lee had put the Steelmen ahead in the 65th minute.

Full-back James Brighton stepped up in sudden death after going straight to penalties to dispatch the seventh Poppies spot-kick after Lee missed his spot-kick it seconds earlier to win it 7-6.

Kettering`s promotion-chasing league rivals Hitchin Town ensured their season will end with silverware whether they go up or not after coming from behind to beat Bishop’s Stortford in the final of the Hertfordshire Senior Cup.

Flying high in third in the Southern Premier Division but not assured of a play-off spot yet with three games still to go, the Canaries retained the county silverware they won last season with a 2-1 win over the relegated Vanarama National League South side at the Vauxhall Road home of Hemel Hempstead Town.

In the final after receiving a first round bye as holders and knocking out Hadley, St Albans and Cheshunt along the way, the Canaries came out on top, despite being underdogs on paper at least with a brace from Will Wright.

The Canaries therefore exacted revenge for a penalty shoot-out defeat three years ago in their last meeting in the final of the Herts Charity Cup at Letchworth.

Jason Matthews celebrated signing off as manager of another Southern Premier outfit, Weymouth, by guiding the Terras to a 1-0 extra-time victory over Toolstation Western League Premier Division side Gillingham Town in the final of the Dorset Senior Cup at the Avenue Stadium.


Matthews was given a guard of honour by his players when lifting the trophy, thanks to defender Stephane Zubar’s powerful 114th minute header.

A brace from Rob Carr and one from Danilo Cadette earned Southern Division One Central side Fleet Town a place in the Aldershot Senior Cup.

Fleet beat a British Army Representative side 3-0 at Calthorpe Park.

National League South club Wealdstone qualified for their second Middlesex Cup final of the season after a comfortable 2-0 victory away to Southern Division One Central side Uxbridge in the Charity Cup semi-final on Tuesday evening.

Goals early in each half from Joe White and Matty Whichelow decided the tie as the lower league opponents rarely troubled their backline.


About Author

Former Swansea City and Kettering Town defender who has been managing the likes of Kettering Town u18s, Rothwell Town, Desborough Town and Wellingborough Town for 33 years as well as being technical director at AFC Rushden & Diamonds. Began in non-League journalism as editor of Team Talk magazine back in the early 1990s and then as editor of Non-League Daily, joining Pitchero to set up Pitchero Non-League in January 2011. Also works for the National League.

Comments are closed.