Pitchero ad

Comprehensive Round-Up Of Tuesday`s Emirates FA Cup Replays

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

There`s no doubting where this Preliminary Round replay round-up begins!

City of Liverpool 8 Prescot Cables 2 is a staggering result and one of four `upsets` in Tuesday night`s Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round replays.

But the Purples` result is undoubtedly the stand-out, the Hallmark Security League Premier Division outfit stunning Evo-Stik League North side Prescot Cables at the TDP Solicitors Stadium.

Last Friday`s original tie attracted a massive 976 crowd to Cables` Valerie Park and Tuesday saw another terrific crowd of 956 witness an amazing upset.

John Connolly set the ball rolling by giving the lower league side an early 3rd minute lead.

Chris Almond equalised within 3 minutes, but his side found themselves 4-1 down at half-time after Connolly completed his hat-trick, sandwiched by one from John McGrath.

Karl Noon scored a stunner 9 minutes into the second half to make it 5-1 and Luke Denson on 61 minutes, McGrath with his second on 74 minutes and Alex Peterson 8 minutes from time made it an astonishing eight for City of Liverpool, with Harry Cain netting a stoppage time second to ironic cheers from home fans.

The Purples will now play Evo-Stik League Premier side Nantwich Town in the First Qualifying Round on Saturday, 2nd September, and the Dabbers won`t relish that one!

Another upset occurred in Dorset where Evo-Stik League South West side Wimborne Town were beaten at their own W+S Stadium by Sydenhams Football League (Wessex) Premier outfit Andover Town.

Dan Cann gave the Magpies a 21st minute lead but a Mike Gosney penalty and then Jason Silver earned the Lions their upset.

A goal from Terrell Lewis 8 minutes from time earned Southern Combination League Premier Division side Pagham their surprise replay win at Bostik League South outfit Sittingbourne.

And the second episode of the Fens derby between Evo-Stik League South side Spalding United and ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division neighbours Wisbech Town also provided an upset.

A stunning 36th minute free-kick from former Tulip Josh Ford and Billy Smith’s late clincher 8 minutes from time settled the Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field replay in the Fenmen’s favour.

Ebac Northern League First Division club Marske United fancied causing an upset when they hosted Evo-Stik League North side Scarborough Athletic in their replay, having seemingly done the hard work at Boro`s new home.

But, despite taking the lead just before half-time through Danny Earl, a handball decision saw Michael Coulson equalise from the spot with just 7 minutes of normal time remaining.

However, right on the stroke of 90 minutes, Marske were reduced to ten-men when Ashley Coffey was shown a straight red card for a bad challenge on Ross Daly.

It looked like the ten-men were going to hold out for penalties though, until Coulson popped up to win it for Boro in the 118th minute.

Midland League Premier Division side Sporting Khalsa also came mighty close to an upset at Evo-Stik League South hosts Market Drayton Town.

Leading through Craig Bannister`s early 5th minute opener, the Shropshire side looked to have won it when Dan Beddowes after 65 minutes and Joe Cuff 4 minutes from time took them in front.

But a stoppage time second for Bannister took the tie into extra-time, and after a goalless 30 minutes, into penalties, which Market Drayton triumphed 4-1.

Spot-kicks were also required in the replay between Cherry Red Records Combined Counties League side Walton & Hersham and Bostik South visitors Carshalton Athletic before a `shock` result was avoided.

The Robins led through Jordan Cheadle`s 26th minute opener until 3 minutes after the break when Lea Van Sullivan pulled the Swans level.

But no one else managed to trouble the scorer for the remaining 42 minutes of the second half, or 30 minutes of extra-time, with the higher-level side winning 5-4 in the shoot-out.

Southern Combination League Shoreham and Combined Counties Leaguers Colliers Wood United needed extra-time to settle their replay, but did so without the need for a penalty shoot-out.

Dan Simmons gave Shoreham a half-time lead that Mario Embalo cancelled out, forcing extra-time.

But a second for Simmons and one for Jamie Craddock saw the home Mussels through.

The Essex Senior League lost both of its representatives in Tuesday`s replays.

Ilford are out after conceding five at Thurlow Nunn Leaguers Haverhill Borough.

The hosts netted through Charlie Holmes with two, including a penalty, Ryan Swallow, Ryan Phillips and Casey Phillips.

The visitors pulled one back 6 minutes before the break through James Peagram.

Hullbridge Sports crashed out after losing to Spartan South Midlands League side on penalties after a 1-1 draw in 120 minutes.

It began well for the hosts when they took a 5th minute lead through Luca Frankis.

But the visitors were awarded a penalty with just under 15 minutes left and skipper Lee Roberts converted to send the tie into extra-time.

Neither side could find a goal in the extra half-hour so penalties were required and it saw the visitors win the shoot-out, netting all five of their penalties, to progress into the next round

The Southern Counties East League lost one club on Tuesday in Croydon but saw Glebe go through to play Banstead Athletic in the next round.

They beat league rivals Deal Town by 3-0 at Foxley Lane with goals from Adam Marsh, Bryan Zepo and Fred Obasa.

Croydon went out of the competition at Bostik League South outfit Faversham Town.

Eidan Fejzi equalised Sam Lawford’s Faversham opener but an unfortunate Alex Hewitt own goal decided the tie in the Lillywhites` favour.

Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division side Binfield lost 3-0 at Wessex Premier hosts Horndean.

Goals from Mark Smith, Harry Jackson and Liam Kyle – all before the break – saw the hosts through.

As well as City of Liverpool, the Hallmark Security League were assured of another side progressing into the First Qualifying Round as league rivals West Didsbury & Chorlton and 1874 Northwich met in their replay, with the visitors winning 3-1.

Sam Hind gave 1874 a 23rd minute lead that the hosts levelled just past the hour-mark through Tom Bailey.

But Jake Parker on 75 minutes and a stoppage time third from Adam Whitlock took 1874 through.

The league lost Burscough, however, as they were beaten 3-0 at home by former Evo-Stik League North rivals Radcliffe Borough, for whom Callum Grogan after 23 minutes and then Kurt Sherlock and Stavros Tserdes in the final 8 minutes, were on target.

Evo-Stik League South new boys Peterborough Sports ensured there was to be no upset at home to former United Counties League rivals Eynesbury Rovers – Sports running out 2-0 winners with goals from Josh Moreman and Rogan McGeorge, while it was a similar story and scoreline for Sports` league rivals Chasetown as they hosted Midland League Premier Division `giants` Worcester City – goals from Will Whieldon after 18 minutes and Muzi Nduna on 64 minutes taking the Scholars through.

Evo-Stik League North side Kendal Town also avoided a banana skin at Parkside against Toolstation Northern Counties East Leaguers Harrogate Railway, in the end running out comfortable 4-1 winners.

It was all-square at the break with Ric Seear for the Cumbrians and Natham James for Rail.

But second half goals from Seear again, Connor Gaul and Rob Bowman ensured there was to be no upset.

Midland League side Boldmere St Michaels avoided an upset in emphatic fashion, hammering West Midlands (Regional) League visitors Wolverhampton Casuals 5-0 in their replay.

Ryan Nesbitt, Jason Holmes, Joe Smith, Stuart Capaldi and Craig Milligan all found the target for the Mikes.

A Jake Newman hat-trick also avoided any upset at Hillgrounds where Evo-Stik League South East side Kempston Rovers eased past former United Counties League rivals Newport Pagnell Town 4-1.

Another comprehensive win by a higher level side came at Scraley Road where Bostik North Heybridge Swifts hammered Thurlow Nunn Leaguers Haverhill Rovers 6-1.

Braces for Juan Luque and Sam Bantick were added to by singles from Luke Callander and Harrison Chatting.

It was a lot tighter though for Swifts` new league rivals Barking as they just edged out Haverhill`s rivals Saffron Walden Town by the odd goal in seven.

Abs Seymour was on target twice for the visitors, along with Dan Gilchrist and Billy Jones, with Oliver Emsden, James Crane and Charlie Portway replying for the Bloods.

And Bostik South side Lewes also avoided an upset in the Sussex derby at Southern Combination outfit Newhaven as doubled for Lloyd Cotton and Jamie Brotherton sealed a 4-1 win for the Rooks.

Lincoln United won the all-Evo-Stik South replay at Christchurch Meadow against Belper Town

The Whites ran out comfortable 4-1 winners with goals from Matt Cotton, Conner Robinson with two and Ryan Oliver, Josh Barr-Rostron replying for the Nailers.

There was a dramatic finale to the all-Northern League First Division replay between Whitley Bay and Penrith.

Bay came from behind, scoring three times in the last 10 minutes to win.

Bay went behind in the 31st minute when Jonny Murray scored with their first attempt on goal.

The Cumbrians came more into the game after half-time as Whitley struggled to maintain their momentum, but in a stirring climax, they levelled in the 81st minute when Matty Cornish scored his first goal for the club.

Scott Jasper put them ahead 4 minutes later then deep into stoppage time, Cornish got his second and Whitley’s third, much to the delight of majority in the 358 crowd.

Late goals from Josh Uzun from the spot and Reyon Dillon in stoppage time sealed Corinthian-Casuals` passage into the next round at Bostik South rivals Hythe Town, whose Ryan Palmer had given them a 17th minute lead that Gabriel Odunaike had cancelled out 5 minutes before the break.

And Evo-Stik League South West side AFC Totton went nap at home to Evo-Stik League South East visitors` Fleet Town to make it through to the First Qualifying Round.

They were 3-0 up by half-time with Nathaniel Sherborne playing in the excellent Toby Adekunle for the 12th minute opener and then robbing a defender before Curtis Young crossed for Charlie Gunson to head in number two.

Sherborne got the third from the spot after being floored in the area and, 3 minutes after the break, Craig Feeney netted number four.

Curtis Young wrapped it up for the Stags 3 minutes from time.


About Author

Comments are closed.