Pitchero ad

FA Cup Heartbreak For Cards & Coasters

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

It was ultimately a disappointing Tuesday night for Vanarama National League clubs Woking and AFC Fylde in their respective Emirates FA Cup Second Round replays.

But both gave it a real go against SkyBet League One opposition before bowing out.

The Cards gave Peterborough United a real go until the final quarter of the game when Posh took the game away from Anthony Limbrick`s men.

The visitors took a 19th minute lead when Inih Effiong scored with a lovely effort, turning his man on the edge of the area before curling his shot past Jonathan Bond.

Ten minutes later, Posh equalised through Michael Doughty, who finished off some good work by Marcus Maddison.

A constant thorn in Woking`s defence was their former loanee Jack Marriott and was no surprise when it was he who put the home side ahead right on the stroke of half-time when he looped Gwion Edwards` cross past Nathan Baxter at the far post.

Baxter prevented Marriott from making it 3-1 a couple of minutes into the second half, and that proved crucial as Woking pulled back on level terms on 68 minutes when sub Matt Young fired across Bond and into the far corner of the net.

However, parity lasted barely a minute as Maddison was again the provider for Marriott to shoot past Baxter at his near post.

Maddison then came close to making it 4-2, but his 25-yard effort flew inches past the post.

It became 4-2 though after 77 minutes when sub Danny Lloyd was bundled over in the box by Richard Orlu and Maddison duly converted the resulting penalty.

Baxter twice denied Marriott from completing his hat-trick, but he was beaten again in the 4th minute of stoppage time when Lloyd`s corner was swept home by Edwards.

The final outcome was somewhat harsh on Woking.

As was the result at the DW Stadium, where AFC Fylde led Wigan 2-1 going into the final 10 minutes before being sunk by a late brace from Northern Ireland international Will Grigg.

The League One leaders only got the go ahead to stage the game at 5pm after a pitch inspection and were in front when Ivan Toney beat Jay Lynch from close range after 31 minutes.

The Coasters though were level 5 minutes before half-time through Simon Grand from six yards out.

The visitors shocked their hosts by taking a 65th minute lead when the prolific Danny Rowe beat Matija Sarkic after a pass from Jon Smith.

But hopes of a Third Round place were dashed when Grigg, on as a sub on the hour-mark, equalised in the 80th minute from a Gary Roberts cross and then, just 4 minutes later, won it for the Latics when he flicked the ball past Lynch for what proved to be the winner and earn a trip to Premier League AFC Bournemouth.


About Author

Comments are closed.