Pitchero ad

Fantastic Night For Cards & Lions

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

There were two replays in the Emirates FA Cup First Round on Tuesday night and two outstanding results for the Vanarama National League.

Woking, currently eighth in the table, inflicted a resounding 3-0 defeat on SkyBet League One strugglers Bury at Gigg Lane, while Guiesley AFC, fifth-bottom of the National League, overcame League Two high-flyers Accrington Stanley at the Crown Ground on penalties with ten-men.

Bury may be currently bottom of the League One standings, but they are two divisions higher than Woking.

However, the Shakers never recovered from going a goal down on the half-hour mark when Joe Ward`s low cross was converted by Regan Charles-Cook from close range.

Bury had done well in recent games under caretaker boss Ryan Lowe and hit the post through Michael Smith, who also clipped the bar from another effort shortly before the break.

But in the 71st minute, the Cards virtually put the tie to bed when Inih Effion, who had proved to be a nuisance to the home defence all evening, curled in a second.

And Woking`s journey back south to Surrey was made even more enjoyable when sub Jamie Philpot netted the third after a good run from Chez Isaac.

Woking now await the outcome of this evening`s replay between league rivals Tranmere Rovers and League One Peterborough United to see who they will meet in the Second Round.

Also through to that round are the Cards` league rivals Guiseley, who came through a tough test against an Accrington Stanley side currently occupying second spot in League One.

It was a thrilling replay in the famous old Lancashire town and Stanley supporters will be wondering how their team are out of the cup this morning after their favourites missed several decent chances – including in the vital penalty shoot-out – hit the woodwork several times and were against ten-men for the entire second period plus extra-time!

One of the heroes for the Lions on the night was goalkeeper Jony Maxted, who produced several fine saves, including two in the first half to thwart Mark Hughes and Mekhi McLeod.

What looked like being the turning point came in first half injury-time when Guiseley had defender Chris M`Boungou sent-off for two bookable offences.

At least half-time came soon afterwards to allow manager Paul Cox time to re-organise the visitors following the dismissal, but it was going to be a big ask.

And that task looked even harder when, just 2 minutes after the restart, Sean McConville headed in Callum Johnson`s cross to give Stanley the breakthrough.

But in the 79th minute, the ten-man battled back to get back on level terms when Jordan Thorniley was adjudged to have pulled a shirt following a John Rooney free-kick and the referee awarded the visitors a penalty.

Rooney stepped up to dispatch the spot-kick and square matters.

That forced extra-time, but even with a man down, the Lions battled hard to see the tie through to a penalty shoot-out when Maxted once again proved to be the hero, saving three of Stanley`s spot-kicks and help them through 4-3.

That takes Guiseley through to the Second Round of the FA Cup for the first time in their history and they will now face another League Two outfit in Mansfield Town at Field Mill.


About Author

Comments are closed.