Pitchero ad

Tanners Earn Dramatic Late FA Cup Win

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

It will be Leatherhead who make the trip to Adams Park on Sunday, December 3rd after the Tanners pulled off something of an Emirates FA Cup `upset` by beating Bostik League Premier rivals Billericay Town in their First Round replay at The AGP Arena on Thursday night.

Put back to Thursday so that it could be screened live on BT Sport, a fantastic crowd of 3,400 saw a thrilling tie that had almost everything – a fact that must have delighted the television company.

The first half took a while to bet going, but did see Billericay`s top scorer Jake Robinson`s 9th minute effort well saved by Tanners` keeper Zaki Oualah and his strike partner Adam Cunnington have the follow up shot blocked

Leatherhead`s player-manager Sammy Moore got through the home defence but would have been disappointed to have shot wide of the home side`s experienced number one, Alan Julian.

And Louis Theophanous shot wide at the other end as Billericay increased the pressure but, despite a flurry of balls into the box, Leatherhead defended them well and the teams went into the break all-square.

The second half was also a slow burner, but, after `Ricay`s Rob Swaine had done well to block a Jack Midson effort, the deadlock was broken at the other end just past the hour-mark when Cunnington slid home Robinson’s cross.

However, 9 minutes later, Leatherhead were back on level terms when Midson headed home a Sam Blackman cross.

Robinson fired just over seconds later, but the defining moment of the tie came in the 82nd minute when Leatherhead were awarded a penalty when Niall McManus burst through but was brought crashing down just inside the box by Swaine, who had already been booked.

Swaine was dismissed and Midson grabbed his second of the night by sending Julian the wrong way with the resulting spot-kick.

Then as stoppage time ticked in, the Tanners sealed their passage into the Second Round when, after Sean Clohessy and sub Nathan Wood had shots frantically blocked by the Blues defence, Midson set up Moore, who shot across Julian and into the far corner of the net for the third and decisive goal.


About Author

Comments are closed.