Pitchero ad

Saturday`s Buildbase FA Trophy Third Qualifying Round Review (Part One)…

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Saturday`s Buildbase FA Trophy Third Qualifying Round threw up several upsets, with six teams from the Vanarama National League North and South knocked out by lower league opponents.

Evo-Stik League South West leaders Taunton Town inflicted a thrilling 3-2 defeat on National League South side Concord Rangers at Wordsworth Drive.

The home side had the boost of an early 5th minute lead when Matt Wright tapped in a rebound after Pierce Mitchell’s long-range effort had been saved by Louis Wells.

The Beachboys had a great chance to pull level on 14 minutes when they were awarded a penalty but Taunton `keeper Lloyd Irish pulled off a fine save to deny the normall;y reliable Steve Cawley.

However, on the half-hour mark, Concord did equalise when Cawley sneaked into the box a slid in to convert past Irish.

The visitors eventually took the lead after 62 minutes in front of a crowd of just under 500 in Somerset when Harry Lee hit a terrific effort from 30 yards.

But on 73 minutes, Ross Staley pulled the Peacocks level with a great effort from the edge of the box.

And just 3 minutes later, Matt Buse’ effort was spilled by Wells and it trickled into the back of the net for the home side`s winner.

Evo-Stik League South Premier high-flyers Hereford FC also beat National League South opposition in Oxford City at Marsh Farm.

A 19th minute equaliser from John Mills after Freddie Grant`s 11th minute opener for City and a second half header from Dara O’Shea handed the Bulls a 2-1 win.

Hereford`s league rivals Chesham United are also through after beating Oxford`s rivals Gloucester City at The Meadow.

But the Generals had to come back from being a 32nd minute Carnell Chambers goal down to win.

David Hutton bent a free-kick over the wall from 19 yards to level matters on 64 minutes.

But on 77 minutes, Gloucester`s skipper Kieran Thomas was sent-off for an alleged elbow on Jhai Dhillon.

And on 84 minutes, Chesham won it when Oran Swales headed home from a corner.

Altrincham, relegated from the National League North to the Evo-Stik League Premier at the end of last season, also progressed at the Impact Arena against former rivals Alfreton Town.

Altrincham took a 7th minute lead when Marcus Marshall could only turn the ball own net.

Alty’s second was a John Johnston penalty, awarded after the referee ajudged Hulme’s ball to have struck an Alfreton hand.

Alfreton`s Craig Westcarr hit the post in the second half but the visitors held firm to progress.

Unlike Altrincham, their Evo-Stik Premier rivals Marine AFC are struggling in the bread and butter of the league, but pulled off a terrific 1-0 win at the Marine Travel Arena against National League North outfit FC United of Manchester.

The Red Rebels, who are struggling themselves in the league and have just appointed Tom Greaves as player-manager, went down to a 19th minute penalty converted by Danny Mitchley.

Perhaps not so surprisingly, ambitious Bostik League Premier side Billericay Town also progressed at the expense of National League South hosts Hungerford Town.

Incredibly, this was the Essex side`s sixteenth cup tie of the season to date and they should have been behind as early as the 7th minute when Hungerford were awarded a penalty, but Billericay `s experienced keeper Alan Julian saved Luke Hopper`s spot-kick.

Top scorer Jake Robinson then gave `Ricay a 35th minute lead.

The home side`s chances took a further nose-dive when they had Alex Wall sent-off after 56 minutes.

And 15 minutes from time, Hungerford `keeper Marcus Beauchamp kept his side in it when he saved Sam Deering`s penalty.

But just 6 minutes later, former Arsenal youngster Sanchez Watt doubled the Blues lead having come off the bench just after the hour-mark.

National League North sides Bradford Park Avenue and Tamworth and National League South Eastbourne Borough all face tricky away replays after drawing at home on Saturday against lower league opponents.

Avenue were held 1-1 at the Horsfall Stadium by Evo-Stik League Premier side Stourbridge, whose Kyle Perry gave them a 33rd minute lead.

Nicky Clee earned the home side another go at the Glassboys next week with a 57th minute equaliser.

Tamworth were held to a 2-2 draw at The Lamb by Stourbridge`s league rivals Warrington Town.

Aman Verma gave the home side an 11th minute lead that Dylan Vassallo cancelled out 10 minutes later.

Verma restored the Lambs` lead just before half-time, but Jamie McDonald earned the Wire a second go with a 76th minute leveller.

At Priory Lane, Boro took a 34th minute lead when Gavin McCallum was tripped in box and Matt Drage converted the resulting spot-kick past Crows` keeper Josh Tibbetts.

The visitors eventually had a great chance to level matters in the 69th minute when they were awarded a penalty for which Boro defender Will Hendon was dismissed.

But the experienced John Frendo’s penalty was saved by Mark Smith.

Royston`s pressure against the ten-men finally told 6 minutes from time as a speculative strike through a crowd of players saw sub James Potton equalise and earn a replay on Tuesday.

National League North sides safely through to Monday`s draw are York City, the holders, who earned a 3-1 victory against Evo-Stik Premier side Coalville Town at Bootham Crescent.

Sixteen-goal leading marksman Jon Parkin added a couple of penalties in the 62nd and 77th minutes to Gary Martin’s first goal for the club a minute before half-time, with Dan Creaney replying for the Ravens 12 minutes from time.

Chorley were involved in a seven-goal thriller in the cold at The Meres against another Evo-Stik Premier outfit, Grantham Town.

It was a terrific comeback by Matt Jansen`s Magpies after they trailed to goals from Danny Meadows after 9 minutes and a Lee Shaw brace in the 27th and 45th minutes – Jason Walker sandwiching a reply on 19 minutes.

Josh Wilson reduced the deficit to one in the 56th minute and he equalised 7 minutes later.

Chorley keeper Matt Urwin kept his side in the competition when he pulled off a terrific save to hold onto a ferocious volley from distance to prevent the impressive Shaw from completing his hat-trick.

And Unwin was rewarded a minute from time when Adam Blakeman popped up with Chorley`s winner.

Gainsborough Trinity saw off former winners Stafford Rangers 2-0 at the Northolme, thanks to goals from Ashley Worsfold after 55 minutes and Nathan Jarman 9 minutes from time.

Spennymoor Town came through a tricky tie at Evo-Stik South newcomers Cleethorpes Town – last season`s Buildbase FA Vase finalists.

Ryan Hall after 37 minutes and then Jordan Porter in the 85th minute gave Moors a cushion which Clee could only cut by one, thanks to an 89th minute Luke Mascall effort.

Spennymoor`s north-east neighbours Blyth Spartans scraped through against former rivals Stalybridge Celtic, who went down last season.

Connor Hughes broke the deadlock at Croft Park to give the visitors a 68th minute lead, but Sean Reid on 79 minutes and Ian Watson 6 minutes from the end took Spartans through.

AFC Telford United, who predecessors were former winners, sailed through 4-2 at the New Buck`s Head against Evo-Stik North side Droylsden and have a new hero.

Former Wolves star Sylvan Ebanks-Blake only registered for the Bucks yesterday and bagged a brace on debut after Ciaran Kilheeney had given the Bloods an early 3rd minute lead.

Ebanks-Blake levelled on 26 minutes and then, after Sefton Gonzales had put the visitors 2-1 up on 31 minutes, equalised within a minute.

Second half goals from John Marsden and Marcus Dinanga took the Bucks safely through.

In all-National North ties, Nuneaton Town defeated managerless strugglers North Ferriby United 5-1 at the LDJ Solicitors Stadium.

A pair of braces from Jordan Nicholson and Ashley Chambers, along with a Daniel Nti header did the damage.

Salford City can concentrate on attempting to win a place in the top division now after they were emphatically beaten by promotion-rivals Brackley Town at St James`s Park.

It proved to be a great day for Brackley`s Aaron Williams, who netted a hat-trick, with Glenn Walker adding the other to make it a 4-0 win.

Leamington were also fairly convincing 3-1 home winners over Curzon Ashton.

An early Niall Cummins goal for the visitors and a Joe Magunda header for the Brakes meant it was all-square at the break.

An own goal by the Nash`s James Baillie put the hosts in front on 54 minutes and then Liam Canavan converted a penalty after sub Ahmed Obeng had been brought down in the box.

Stockport County and Southport must try again at the Merseyrail Community Stadium next week after the sides shared a 2-2 draw at Edgeley Park.

Bohan Dixon gave County an 11th minute lead. But the visitors pulled 2-1 ahead with goals from Andy White 3 minutes later and new signing Jason Gilchrist on 68 minutes.

But Darren Stephenson earned County a second go with an 86th minute equaliser.

Boston United battled back to earn a replay against Kidderminster Harriers at The Jakemans Stadium.

Debutant Adam Curry and leading goalscorer Kabongo Tshimanga struck inside the final 12 minutes to pull United back from the brink of elimination.

Andre Brown and Joe Ironside had earlier put Harriers in control but United responded impressively under new manager Craig Elliott to force a replay on Tuesday.

National League South sides safely through against lower league opposition include Braintree Town, who overcame a Cray Wanderers outfit who only got through on Wednesday after beating Moneyfields.

But Karl Oliyide after 63 minutes, Marcel Barrington in the 77th minutes and Matt Cartwright 6 minutes from time saw the Iron comfortably through against the Bostik South side.

Hampton & Richmond Borough made no mistake at the Beveree against Bostik Premier strugglers Harlow Town, running out 5-1 winners.

It was only 1-0 at the break, thanks to a 43rd minute Harry Crawford effort.

But braces for Max Kretzschmar in the 49th and 60th minutes – the second from the spot – and for Brendan Kiernan in the 75th and 90th minutes saw the Beavers go nap, with James Baker replying for the Hawks in the 79th minute.

Havant & Waterlooville are also through and with ten-men too after beating Harlow`s league rivals Dorking Wanderers 3-1 at Westleigh Park.

Former Woking favourite Giuseppe Sole gave the visitors a 16th minute lead that Jason Prior cancelled out from the spot after 23 minutes.

Jordan Rose gave the Hawks the lead 2 minutes after the break and then added a second and the side`s third just past the hour-mark.

Bradley Tarbuck was shown two rapid yellow cards in the 69th minute, but Havant had enough of a cushion to hold firm.

Truro City are enjoying a good season and it continued in the Trophy as they won 3-1 at the Dripping Pan against Bostik South high-flyers Lewes.

Former Eastleigh boss Chris Todd gave the White Tigers a 29th minute lead that Tyler Harvey immediately doubled.

Andrew Neal made it 3-0 with only 38 minutes gone, with Billy Medlock netting what turned out just to be a consolation for the Rooks right on half-time.

East Thurrock United went through 3-1 at home against Evo-Stik South West visitors Shortwood United, whose Will Hawes converted a last-minute consolation penalty after second half goals from Sam Higgins from the spot, Reece Harris and Calvin Epiteta.

And in all-National League South ties, St Albans City progressed at the expense of Poole Town at Clarence Park with goals from David Noble and a Rhys Murrell-Williamson brace.

Welling United bowed out, beaten 1-0 at Park View Road by in-form Weston-super-Mare, for whom Gethyn Hill scored in the 47th minute.

But there was a very welcome win for strugglers Whitehawk, who saw off newcomers Chippenham Town 2-1 at the Enclosed Ground with goals from Pape Gueye and Michael Cain, with David Pratt replying.

Hemel Hempstead Town shared a 1-1 home draw with struggling Bognor Regis Town, whose Ibra Sekajja cancelled out Antonio German`s 5th kminute opener in the 65th minute.

Wealdstone and Chelmsford City also drew 1-1, with Mustafa Tiryaki`s 33rd minute opener for the Clarets being eventually cancelled out by Shaun Batt 10 minutes from time.


About Author

Comments are closed.