Pitchero ad

Buildbase FA Vase Second Round Review…..

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Ebac Northern League Second Division club Tow Law Town were furious about a lack of communication when their Buildbase FA Vase Second Round tie at Hallmark Security League Premier Division outfit 1874 Northwich was postponed when they were en-route to Cheshire on Saturday.

The Lawyers coach was forced to turn around in West Yorkshire when they received a call from their opponents saying that the tie was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch, and instead they must now travel across country for the re-arranged game on Tuesday night.

Some of the Lawyers players had travelled over on the Friday night, and manager Steve Murray arrived independently early on Saturday morning.

Secretary Steve Moralee said; “We were very annoyed about the lack of communication. On Friday we were told that there was a small damp patch on the pitch, but they didn’t inspect the pitch until after we had set off. We were very surprised to hear that the game was off. Our manager was already in the area and popped into the ground, and he said the problem could easily have been resolved with a couple of bags of sand. The local referee who had inspected the pitch had already gone home.

“But Northwich wouldn’t change their minds and ask for a second opinion. We wanted to go back down this Saturday, but because we had already agreed on a Tuesday night replay if necessary, the FA told us that we must play at Northwich on Tuesday.

“We were annoyed, because other games in that area went ahead, and ours was the only Vase tie in the northern area postponed on Saturday.”

Shildon’s hopes of a good run were dashed when they were beaten 2-1 in extra time in their all-Northern League tie at Marske United.

The home side got off to a great start after just 4 minutes when Danny Earl scored from a corner, and that set the tone for a real blood and thunder game with chances going begging at both ends.

Shildon started the second half well, and got a penalty on 52 minutes when Jamie Harwood was brought down in the box by Marske midfielder Curtis Round, and Billy Greulich-Smith scored from the spot.

The game continued to swing from end to end, and in extra-time Marske midfielder Craig Gott won it, with a powerful 20-yard shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Marske had midfielder Chay Liddle dismissed for two yellows, and in the last-minute Harwood had an effort cleared off the line.

West Auckland Town, the second favourites to win the competition on Saturday morning, beat another NL side Billingham Town 3-2.

Arran Wearmouth gave West the lead with a shot on the turn on 11 minutes, but after having two efforts cleared off the line, Town levelled on 39 minutes from close range through Brandon Kirkbride.

Nathan Fisher restored West’s lead when he ran clear and fired into the bottom corner, but Town levelled again through Jake Fenton after a mistake in the West defence.

But Ben Wood got the winner with 10 minutes left when he played a one-two and side-footed the ball past the Town keeper.

West Auckland manager Gary Forrest said; “It was a good performance. We fully deserved the win, and we’re in the hat now which is all that matters.”

Newcastle Benfield, North Shields, Stockton Town and Whitley Bay are also through, while Sunderland RCA have a midweek replay against Runcorn Linnets.

Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division sides Pontefract Collieries and Worksop Town are through to Monday’s draw for the Third Round as they both won away from home on Saturday.

The Colls are through to that stage for the first time in their history after a 4-2 extra time victory at fellow NCEL Premier Division side Hall Road Rangers.

The hosts started the stronger with Josh Batty and Chris Spinks putting them two ahead by the interval, but Kane Reece brought Pontefract back into the game on 69 minutes and a dramatic stoppage time equaliser from Vaughan Redford took the game into another half-hour.

And, it was Redford who proved to be the hero as he netted twice more to send his side into the last sixty-four.

They are joined there by Worksop, who won 1-0 at Ebac Northern League First Division side Dunston UTS, Alec Denton with the goal in the early moments of the second period for the Tigers.

Knaresborough Town bowed out, however, despite a spirited performance at another Northern League outfit, North Shields, Blaine Hobson scoring in a 2-1 defeat in which Gareth Bainbridge bagged both for the victors, whilst AFC Mansfield’s first game in the competition this season ended in disappointment with a 2-0 loss at Midland Leaguers Hinckley AFC, for whom Luke Richards bagged a brace.

Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division side Bracknell Town recorded a comprehensive 8-0 win against Cricklewood Wanderers of the Middlesex County League.

T J Bohane and Khalid Senussi both bagged braces, with Adam Cornell, Carl Davies, Jon Bennett and Jamie McClurg also on target for the Robins.

Bracknell`s league rivals Thatcham Town cantered through to the next round with an impressive 8-2 win over Southern Combination League Broadbridge Heath.

Thatcham were far superior to their opponents but were only 2-0 up at the break. In the second half they overwhelmed the Bears.

Shane Cooper-Clark netted a hat-trick, Josh Helmore a brace and Harry Grant, Michael Miller and Tom Browne singles – Jaycon Campbell and Tom Frankland replying.

Windsor FC travelled to Erith Town of the Southern Counties East League on Sunday, coming home with a 2-1 victory in the bag.

In a repeat result of their game in the Toolstation Western League seven weeks previously, Bradford Town dumped Buckland Athletic out of the FA Vase following a 2-1 win at Homer`s Heath.

Following a goalless first half, Will Haliston put Bradford ahead, before Sam Jordan then doubled the visitors advantage.

With 10 minutes left on the clock, Richard Groves gave Buckland a foothold in their contest, but they were unable to force home an equaliser late on.

Melksham Town will join Bradford in the draw for the next round following a one-sided 4-1 victory away at Uhlsport Hellenic Leaguers Wantage Town.

Melksham made the dream start, finding themselves two goals to the good inside the opening 8 minutes following a pair of headed goals from Warren Maidment and Jake Brown, both via Ben Thomson crosses.

The remainder of the game was all about Brown, with the Melksham man adding a pair of excellent goals after the break to complete an impressive hat-trick.

Bridgwater Town made it three Western League representatives in the Third Round after securing a 3-2 win away at Cherry Red Records Combinbed Counties Leaguers Farnham Town.

A first half penalty from Mike Duffy had them level at the break, before two second half goals from Ryan Burrows helped them progress.

Willand Rovers` run came to an end, after they were defeated 2-1 at home by Midland League Premier Division side Westfields despite holding a half-time lead, thanks to Craig Veale’s opener.

Wellington are also out after conceding in the dying moments to fall to a 2-1 defeat at Sydenhams Football League (Wessex) side Sholing, while Hengrove Athletic suffered a disappointing 6-2 loss at another Wessex outfit, Newport (IoW).

Of the five South West Peninsula League sides involved in the Vase, only Plymouth Parkway are assured of a place in the next round after the Bolitho Park club came from two-down to beat Bodmin Town 4-2 in front of a bumper crowd of 435.

Tavistock will still be in the hat on Monday lunchtime when the draw is made but they must still play their tie at Wessex League outfit Team Solent after the game was called off.

Cullompton Rangers and Exmouth Town both fell today against Wessex League Premier opposition. Cullompton lost 3-1 away at Baffins Milton Rovers in Hampshire, whilst Exmouth Town went out 3-1 at home to Blackfield & Langley at Southern Road.

There were a dozen Southern Counties East League sides going into the Second Round and four are through with two re-arranged ties to be played on Tuesday.

Crowborough Athletic beat Croydon by 5-0 with Zac Attwood (2), Sam Carrington, Jack Turner and Sam Crabb producing the goals.

Meanwhile Sheppey United and Beckenham Town had a much closer contest with the visitors winning out by the best-of-five.

Becks went two-up through goals from Richard Atkins and George Bonner.

After the break the Ites came back to 2-2 with Hicham Akazzan scoring both but on 74 minutes Adam Wadmore scored the winner for Becks.

ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division side Desborough Town will take their place in tomorrow’s draw after an amazing tie at the Waterworks Field saw them eventually get past Central Midlands League South Division outfit Pinxton to the tune of an incredible 7-4 scoreline!

It was the hosts who got their noses in front on 24 minutes when John Dean got clear in the left channel and his cross was turned into his own net by Paul Holmes.

That was harsh on the visitors and they deservedly levelled before the break when Adie Whitmore met a Danny Evans corner with a well-placed side-footed volley which found the corner.

And Pinxton came out of the traps quickly after the break as two goals inside the first 2 minutes of the restart looked to have settled the tie.

Half-time substitute Pete Stubley made his mark just 24 seconds in, picking up the ball 35 yards from goal and beating Chris Jones with a fine long-range effort.

And Desborough’s hopes looked to be over barely 60 seconds later when Whitmore beat Jones to head home.

From there, Pinxton set about trying to kill the game and, for a long time, it worked as Desborough grew in frustration.

But, with 19 minutes to go, a ray of hope. Jason Turner produced a perfect cross from the left and Andy Hall charged in to convert at the far post.

Turner had a shot blocked with the striker adamant it had been done with a hand, but Ar Tarn did draw level with 5 minutes to go when a corner was cleared but sent back into the box and it eventually landed at the feet of Leo Adams who hammered home from 15 yards.

That surely meant extra-time, but both teams had different ideas.

Francis beat out a near-post shot from Aidan Bradshaw before Pinxton looked like they had struck the decisive blow right on 90 minutes.

A cross from the right wasn’t dealt with and Cooper produced a measured finish into the corner to spark wild celebrations amongst the visiting players and supporters.

But Desborough kept going and the remarkable tie took yet another twist in the last of 5 minutes of stoppage time when Francis dropped a cross from the left and Turner was there to stab home.

It was a lifeline Desborough were not about to waste in the extra 30 minutes as Pinxton were left visibly shell-shocked by that dramatic equaliser.

Hall put the hosts 5-4 up with a fine 20-yard free-kick and Dean put the game to bed when he slid in to convert Hall’s cross.

The second period of extra-time proved to be a formality and a superb tie was rounded off when Dean raced away before unselfishly squaring to Turner who did the rest.

Desborough`s league rivals Deeping Rangers’ 4-3 win at Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division Godmanchester Rovers was also a spectacular effort.

Jonny Clay headed them front, but they were 3-1 down at the break. But a penalty from Scott Coupland started the second half fightback. Luke Hunnings drew Deeping level 15 minutes from time before Scott Mooney fired the winner in added time.

Holbeach United travelled to face Midland League side Walsall Wood and were surprisingly trounced 5-0.

Wood had pretty much wrapped things up by the break with four first half goals from Tony Clarke, two Paul Sullivan penalties and one from Keenan Meakin-Richards, before adding a fifth after the break when Clarke grabbed his second.

Newport Pagnell Town bowed out to Welwyn Garden City, the Spartan South Midland League side going through 2-1.

Luke Emery’s 88th minute strike was only a consolation after Yasin Boodhoo (26) and Daniel Bond (80) had put the Citizens in control.

The Swans weren’t helped by Adam Pryke’s 72nd minute dismissal for a second yellow card.

Leicester Nirvana also crashed out, going down 2-0 at home to Eastwood Community, the fans club born out of the ashes of the once successful, but now sadly defunct NPL side Eastwood Town.

A 7th minute penalty converted by Chay Bettridge gave the visitors an early lead and Paddy Webb doubled their advantage after just 12 minutes.

Nirvana had a chance to pull one back with a penalty of their own on 74 minutes, but this just wasn’t to be their day.


About Author

Comments are closed.