Pitchero ad

Midweek Cup Action Reviewed……

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Stafford Rangers beat Evo-Stik League rivals Hednesford Town 3-2 in the final of the Staffordshire Senior Cup, the second time departing Rangers` boss Neil Kitching and assistant-manager Nick Amos have lifted that trophy in their four years at Marston Road.

In an end-to-end game last night, Boro took the lead through Jack Sherratt’s long-range effort, before Hednesford responded with one of their own, courtesy of ex-Boro man Anthony Dwyer.

It was Rangers who re-took the lead thanks to Perry’s header, and then extended it from a Robbie Thompson-Brown free-kick before Ben Bailey pulled one back to set up a thrilling finale.

Goals from Nathan Watson and Daniel Creaney as well as penalty heroics from Elliott Taylor helped Evo-Stik League Premier side Coalville Town to victory in the Leicestershire Challenge Cup final against Evo-Stik league South outfit Loughborough Dynamo.

Karl Demidh gave Dynamo an early 2nd minute lead that Watson cancelled out from the spot 13 minutes later.

Ashley Hodgkinson restored Dynamo`s lead 5 minutes before the break, with Creaney levelling seconds before the whistle.

No goals in the second half, so to penalties which the Ravens won 7-6.

It’s a victory that will feel particularly sweet for the Ravens, making up for last year’s final defeat to Barwell and ensuring manager Tommy Brookbanks ends his managerial career on a high with at least one bit of silverware.

National League North side FC United of Manchester retained the Frank Hannah Manchester Premier Cup on penalties after twice coming from behind to draw 2-2 with Evo-Stik League North outfit Trafford at Braodhurst Park.

The Reds had gone behind twice in the first half to goals from Mark Derbyshire and Darius Palma but goals from Scott Kay and Joel Senior had levelled things up, before a red card for Derbyshire saw FC take a hold of the game but they couldn’t find a way through a resilient and experienced Trafford defence.

FC United`s league rivals Chorley lifted their first trophy of the campaign by seeing off the challenge of Evo-Stik North side Clitheroe 3-2 in the Partners Foundation Trophy Final at the Macron Stadium

In front of a largely pro-Chorley crowd, a much-changed line-up made hard work of a tough Blues team, but goals from Luke Burgess, Dale Whitham and Delial Brewster saw them home, despite replies from Kurt Willoughby and a late George West effort.

National League side Maidstone United lifted the Kent Senior Cup for the nineteenth time and for the first time since 1990 as they overcame Bostik League Premier opposition in the form of Folkestone Invicta in a penalty shoot-out after the game had finished goalless after normal time.

Consett won the Durham Challenge Cup for the first time in eleven years when they beat Ebac Northern League First Division rivals Dunston UTS 4-2.

Consett took the lead after 12 minutes, when a clearance by Consett keeper Kyle Hayes was picked up by Michael Mackay, who ran through and fired past Dunston keeper Niall Harrison.

And the same tactic worked again a few minutes later, with Mackay again finding space to fire home from the edge of the box.

It got better for Consett on 26 minutes when Mackay beat two defenders and set up Michael Sweet who beat Harrison with a low shot.

However, Dunston gave themselves a lifeline on 31 minutes with a strike by Dale Burrell.

Mackay was denied his hat-trick in the second half by a great save by Harrison, but Consett gave themselves some breathing a space when Sweet’s low shot was fumbled over the line by Harrison.

Dunston pulled a goal back through Michael Hall’s lob, but they had Burrell sent-off for an off the ball incident in stoppage time.

Evo-Stik League Premier club Marine AFC’s bid for silverware at the end of a long season ended in heavy defeat as Evo-Stik League North side Prescot Cables successfully retained the Liverpool Senior Cup at the Marine Travel Arena.

Chris Almond`s 34th minute penalty broke the deadlock and Lloyd Dean added a second just before half-time.

Dean again 7 minutes after the break and Josh Klein-Davies 2 minutes from time sealed victory.

Just 24 hours after a battling draw with Boston United, National League North side Nuneaton Town fielded a side made up, largely, of Boro`s league winning under-19`s for the semi-final of the Birmingham Senior Cup against Evo-Stik League Premier outfit Hednesford Town.

Six academy players started the match, with two more coming off the bench as a more experienced Hednesford Town side were comfortable 4-0 winners, thanks to goals from Danny Glover after just 4 minutes, a Pat Casey own goal after 27 minutes, Anthony Dwyer 8 minutes after the break and Glover again on 64 minutes.


About Author

Comments are closed.