Pitchero ad

This Week`s Cup Final Action Review…….

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Merstham clinched the Surrey County Cup with a 3-1 win at Sutton United against Bostik League Premier rivals Leatherhead.

It was perhaps fitting that the Moatsiders should win the trophy in their 125th year.

Goals from Reece Hall, Sean Bonnett-Johnson and Tom Kavanagh sealed it for Merstham, with Jack Midson replying late on – his last goal for the Tanners before heading off to join Vanarama National League South side Concord Rangers along with manager Sammy Moore.

At Runcorn, Evo-Stik League Premier club Nantwich Town romped to victory against Hallmark Security League Division One outfit Stockport Town to claim their first trophy in six years – the Cheshire Senior Cup for the first time since 2012.

The first half goals from Harry Clayton, Joel Stair and Matt Bell ensured the Dabbers had their name on the trophy this year.

However, the Dabbers` league rivals Coalville Town were on the end of an `upset` as they lost 2-1 to Evo-Stik League North side Atherton Collieries in the final of the Integro Cup.

Hosted at Alfreton Town’s Impact Arena, Colls took an early lead as Josh Messer, making his 150th appearance for the black and whites, nodded home his first goal in five years at the club when he connected with Gareth Peet’s 8th minute corner.

The second half began with a good spell for Coalville but once more Hartley wasn’t tested and the Colls took full advantage as 65 minutes in, Jordan Cover racing in behind the defence to meet Peet’s through ball.

He saw his shot rebound off the post before gleefully tapping home the rebound and sending the travelling fans into jubilation.

Two minutes later, Colls were handed a chance to kill the tie off as Ben Hardcastle was brought down in the box and the referee awarded a penalty.

The resulting spot-kick, however, was put wide by Ben Hardcastle and it looked as if the Lancastrian side would be left ruing it as Greg Hartley was tested for the first time from a Coalville free-kick and the rebound was brushed home.

Colls breathed a sigh of relief as the linesman’s flag was up but the same couldn’t be said six minutes from time as Nathan Watson’s dink ensured a nervy finish.

Coalville saw Jermaine Hollis sent-off in the last minute of stoppage time for a stamp on Hartley as Colls managed to see out their lead and clinch the cup.

Another Evo-Stik League Premier side to lift a trophy this week are Witton Albion, who won the Mid-Cheshire Cup for the first time since 2014 against Hallmark Security Leaguers Winsford United.

Witton, who created the better chances, broke the deadlock 6 minutes before half-time.

James Foley collected Rob Hopley’s knock down at the far post and took a touch to create a yard of space before squeezing in a shot just inside the post, beyond the despairing dive of Winsford keeper Matthew Green.

Winsford almost equalised deep into stoppage time at the end of the game when player-manager Lee Duckworth forced an unbelievable save from Ryan Nield with a well struck left-foot shot that the keeper did well to parry away and preserve his side’s lead for the remaining few seconds.

Vanarama National League South side Oxford City claimed the Oxfordshire Senior Cup for the first time since 2003 as they beat Evo-Stik League South West neighbours Kidlington 5-3 in a thrilling match at Thame United’s ASM Stadium.

Braces from Matt Paterson and Reece Fleet, along with an Ezra Forde goal, saw City recover from a two-goal first half deficit, however they did have to survive a late Kidlington onslaught to see the result through.

Kidlington took the lead in the 10th minute as Anaclet Odhiambo beat the offside trap to slot past Craig King.

Things got worse for the higher-level side just 7 minutes later when City conceded a penalty as Lewis Coyle went down under Zac McEachran’s challenge. The striker stepped up himself, sending King the wrong way.

City were perhaps a little fortunate to get themselves on the board with 26 minutes played when Joe Oastler chipped in towards Matt Paterson, who side-footed into the corner of the net to get his side back into the game.

The goal seemed to spark some life into City and began to use possession more wisely, seeing them level the match on 37 minutes. Kavan Cotter was played in clear down the right, before he was able to cut back to Ezra Forde. The striker took a touch on his left foot before finishing confidently past Sam Warrell in the Kidlington goal.

A minute before the break City completed the turnaround, albeit in very fortuitous circumstances. Forde was played through again, however, Warrell did well to come out at his feet to smother the ball, but the stopper was unable to fully recover the ball, leaving an easy tap in for Reece Fleet.

The Hoops started the second half as quickly as they ended the first, opening up a two-goal cushion. A loose clearance from Warrell within a minute of the restart fell to Paterson, who lobbed the ball over the stranded ‘keeper for his second of the match – and 27th of the season.

Fleet joined Paterson on a brace just 7 minutes later, again tapping in from a rebound.

Kidlington ensured there would be a nervy finish for the Hoops as Odhiambo grabbed his second of the match.

City weathered the storm they were to face in the final 10 minutes to lift the trophy for the first time since they beat Hook Norton in 2003, and for the 33rd time.

Evo-Stik League South Premier side St Neots Town brought down the curtain on their season with a handsome victory over town neighbours Eynesbury Rovers to record the biggest margin in a Huntingdonshire Senior Cup Final for more than fifty years with a 6-1 victory against the ChromsSport & Trophies United Counties League outfit.

The Saints took the lead in the 4th minute when Dylan Williams set up Nabil Shariff who beat visiting keeper Aaron Butcher with a well-placed shot and 2 minutes later St Neots leading scorer Dylan Williams added a second

A third St Neots goal 2 minutes before the break effectively ended Rovers’ hopes of a revival as defender Tom Wood netted from a Williams corner

A fourth goal for the home side 4 minutes into the second half multiplied the Eynesbury woes as Williams beat two defenders on the left to cross for David Bridges to score.

Three minutes later Williams claimed his 17th goal of the season to make it 5-0.

Jack Uttridge then handled a cross, but Butcher guessed right to push away Johnny Herd’s spot-kick.

After 67 minutes a delightful back-heel by Shariff set up Bridges for his second goal of the match to see the score at 6-0 but Eynesbury showed defiance and was rewarded 8 minutes from time when sub Craig Smith forced the ball home from close range.

St Neots` league rivals Chesham United caused an upset by beating SkyBet League One MK Dons in the final of the Berks & Bucks Senior County Cup at Stadium MK.

The Dons took a two-goal lead in the first half after Giorgio Rasulo converted from the spot before Robbie Muirhead doubled the advantage.

Chesham would scored twice in the second half through Dave Pearce and then Kieran Murphy in the 6th minute of stoppage time to send the game to penalties before eventually winning 4-3 on spot-kicks.

South West Peninsula League Premier Division champions Plymouth Parkway also caused a `shock` by winning the Devon St Lukes Challenge Cup with an impressive 4-1 win over Evo-Stik League South West side Bideford AFC.

The final was played at Devon FA with Parkway going four-up through Mike Smith, Shane Krac with two and Mikey Williams before the Robins grabbed a consolation through Will Hancox.


About Author

Comments are closed.