Pitchero ad

Toolstation Western League Review

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

After a stunning run of 25 consecutive league wins, Richard Fey’s Street are Toolstation Western League Premier Division champions.

The dominant team in the division this season confirmed their promotion on Saturday afternoon with a come-from-behind 3-2 victory over Cribbs at the Tannery.

With a chance of dampening the mood, Cribbs played excellent spoilers and found themselves two goals to the good at half-time following a brace from Charlie Aldom.

Street came out flying in the second half, and after Ben Amghar headed home less than a minute into the second period, the Cobblers found themselves on level terms 6 minutes later, thanks to a Steve Murray goal.

The rampant hosts completed the turnaround in the 62nd minute through Lewis Waldy and held on to confirm promotion with five fixtures remaining.

Bradford Town remain in second spot following an elementary 4-1 win at home to bottom side Wells City.

Mark Wall opened the scoring for Town in the 40th minute, with Sam Jordan then doubling the lead moments later.

An expertly taken free-kick from Rickie Scott extended the lead to three before Martin Lenihan completed the scoring late on.

At Fairfax Park, Gary Higdon scored his 33rd and 34th league goals of the campaign during a 3-0 victory for Melksham Town over Bridgwater Town.

Following over a month of postponed fixtures, Buckland Athletic showed no signs of rust during their 5-0 victory over Hallen.

The Bucks shot into a two-goal lead in no time at all, with Richard Groves scoring twice in the opening 10 minutes.

Fans at Homer’s Heath had to wait until the closing minutes for Buckland to add to their tally, with Cliff Walters, Ryan Bush and Craig Duff all scoring late on to complete the victory.

Buckland’s Devon neighbours Willand Rovers fell to a surprise 1-0 loss away at Cadbury Heath, with Matt Huxley scoring the only goal of the game on the half-hour mark.

In a shadow of Street’s victory, Shepton Mallet overturned a two-goal deficit to defeat Odd Down 3-2.

Kyle Norris handed the Bath side a 20th minute lead, before Martin Stowell’s bullet header doubled the advantage in the lead up to half-time.

In what turned out to be a crucial moment in the match, Tyson Pollard found time to get a goal back in first half injury-time, with Isaac Reid then levelling affairs in the 65th minute.

With only stoppage time remaining, Jack Goodall took it upon himself to hit a belting winner for Mallet which helped them reach the half-century mark in points for the season.

Another ground which welcomed late drama was St Mary’s Field, where Hengrove Athletic struck a late winner to cap a 2-1 victory over Bridport.

Following a goalless opening half, Luke Crewe converted a penalty soon after the break only for Leigh Bailey to equalise for the home side 10 minutes later.

A point looked likely for both sides, but Rhys Hickery had other ideas, scoring in the 89th minute to move the Grove up to tenth spot.

Sam Towler was the man of the moment for Wellington scoring both goals during their 2-0 triumph over Bitton, while at the Hand Stadium, Dan Parslow, Lucas Vowles and Saikou Janneh all bagged goals in Clevedon Town’s 3-1 win over Longwell Green Sports.

Brislington returned to winning ways at Ironmould Lane, beating Chipping Sodbury Town 2-0.

With four First Division matches remaining, Roman Glass St George remain in top spot after defeating Bishop Sutton 6-2 at Oaklands Park.

With goal difference potentially playing a big part in the promotion picture, The Glass continue to top the scoring charts this season and grabbed their latest win, thanks to doubles from Rhys Hodgson, Ryan Radford and Ciaran Greening.

Westbury United remain level on points at the top, after easing to a 3-0 win at home to Sherborne Town.

The home side were in complete control after just seven minutes thanks to Dan Kovacs’ early double, with Jamie Jordan’s wicked free-kick after the break completing the win.

Keynsham Town remain a point behind the top two, but are certainly keeping the pressure on, with their 5-0 victory away at Bristol Telephones making it six wins on the bounce.

Ben Bament’s arrival at the club continues to prove fruitful, and after he had fired the visitors into a 3rd minute leader, top scorer Matt Brown struck twice to hand the K’s a three-goal lead at the break.

Scott Saunders added Keynsham’s fourth soon after the interval, with Craig Wilson volleying home a magnificent fifth to wrap up their twenty-sixth win of the campaign.

Oldland Abbotonians claimed their second 7-0 victory at home this season, putting Malmesbury Victoria to the sword at the Aitchison Playing Field.

The hosts took advantage of an early red card to lead by two at the break through Josh Southway and Josh Williams, with Liam Gale then taking over the game, scoring four second half goals on a wonderful afternoon for Oldland.

In the battle between fourth and fifth, Radstock Town staged a late comeback to draw 2-2 with Cheddar.

All four goals came after the interval, with Callum Ham giving the Cheesemen a 2-0 lead before Morgan Skipp and captain Tom Stocks salvaged a point for the home side.

Welton Rovers moved back into fifth spot after defeating basement boys Warminster Town 2-1 at West Clewes.

Jaiden Savery played a big part in both Welton goals, playing a great ball in the build-up to Malick Jammeh’s opener, before providing the cross for Courtney Charles who doubled the advantage early in the second half ahead of Matt Dyer’s late consolation.

Chard Town defeated Calne Town by the same scoreline, with goals from Taoufik Ben-Salem and James Boyland helping them overturn a half-time deficit to claim the three points.

Another side who came from behind to win were Corsham Town, with the away side scoring twice in the final 7 minutes to defeat Bishops Lydeard 2-1.

After trailing for most of the match following James Quick’s 9th minute opener, Corsham got back on level terms through Chay Forrester before a stoppage time winner from Matt Purdy saw them grab victory from the jaws of defeat.

Wincanton Town secured a third straight win in the league, with Gary Chapman’s 6th minute strike leading them to a 1-0 victory away at Portishead Town.


About Author

Comments are closed.