Pitchero ad

United Counties League Round-Up

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Just before the Christmas break, Newport Pagnell Town had the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division championship crown firmly in their own hands, but a torrid run of form no means that four sides can overtake them by winning their games in hand after Saturday’s 4-0 defeat at Yaxley.

The Cuckoos have been in fine form of late and two goals from Tom Waumsley backed up by singles from Dan Cotton and Matt Sparrow gave them an emphatic win that leaves them ten points behind the leaders with three games in hand.

Holbeach United remain second, despite the abandonment of their home game against Cogenhoe United.

A horrible injury to Dan Dougill brought the game to a halt on 57 minutes after he suffered a broken leg in a competitive 50/50 challenge.

The Tigers were trailing 2-0 at the time after a Ryan Dove header on 17 minutes separated the teams at the break and a close-range finish from Matt Long had doubled the visitor’s lead 8 minutes into the second half.

Deeping Rangers moved up to third with a comprehensive 3-0 win over Kirby Muxloe at Outgang Road, although it took them almost an hour to make the breakthrough.

A Jason Kilbride header sneaked in at the far post to put the home side in front on 58 minutes, Scott Coupland added a second 10 minutes later with a tap in from three yards after the keeper had spilled a Kilbride free-kick and Henry Dunn wrapped it up 5 minutes from time with an absolute belter!

Wisbech Town could have gone second had they won at bottom club Oadby Town, but despite taking a 5th minute lead through the prolific Alex Beck, they had to settle for a point which sees them drop to fourth.

Sam Burton earned the Leicestershire side a share of the spoils with a second half equaliser, but they remain six points adrift of their nearest rivals Sleaford Town.

Eynesbury Rovers inflicted more misery on Sleaford, whose mini revival seems a distant memory right now.

Dom Lawless gave the St Neots based club an early lead and a double from Jordan Brown made it three before the break.

Craig Smith added a fourth against now ten-men Sleaford leaving Eynesbury in seventh spot.

Leicester Nirvana are suffering badly with their new pitch at present and they saw their scheduled home game with Harborough Town postponed due to waterlogging.

The Leicester club are ten points behind the leaders with four games in hand, but have an upward challenge of topping all the other teams between them and Newport.

Daventry Town picked up a 2-1 win on the road with Rothwell Corinthians their victims.

Jordan Orosz set up Adam Creaney for the opener on 11 minutes.

Creaney turned supplier for the second after 47 when Adam Moussi headed home his free-kick.

Callum Plowright reduced the arrears from the spot after 68 but Daventry held firm to take the points.

Desborough Town were 2-0 home winners over Peterborough Northern Star with Andy Hall giving them the lead when he scored direct from a corner on 56 minutes.

John Dean make sure of the spoils with a second a minute from time after seizing on a goalkeeping error.

ON Chenecks leap-frogged Whitworth, thanks to a Brandon Williams double at London Road.

The first being created by Wes Emery, the second running on to a nice touch from Gohkan Ulker and beating the keeper in a one-on-one.

Having struggled early on, Chenecks are looking a decent side again and have opened-up a ten-point gap on the second bottom team.

St Andrews came out on top in the battle with fellow strugglers Sileby Rangers, winning 2-1 at Canal Street.

Luay Bashir put Andrews ahead after 26 minutes and Sam Taylor doubled the lead on 65 minutes.

Denilson Silva set up Josh Olowoyo to net for Sileby 20 minutes from time, but it was only a consolation goal and it’s twelve successive defeats for the Northampton side.

Boston Town had taken the lead through a Jordan Nuttell header, but visiting and managerless Wellingborough Town had turned the game around before the break, thanks to goals from Lloyd Buckby and Nathaniel Ansu.

The Poachers left it late before securing a point in a 2-2 draw, with Josh Raby netting from close range after a good run and delivery from Nick Frost.

Paul Jackson


About Author

Comments are closed.